Driving in Baja Do We Need a Permit? / Traffic Laws / Crooked Cops

Old 05-12-09, 09:00 AM   #1
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Default About US auto insurance while in Mexico

OK, I'm trying to do everything right. I have annual Mexican auto insurance for when I'm in Baja and I have Calif. auto insurance when I live in California. But, my insurance agent says when I move to Baja and "house" my autos there, I will not be covered in California for crossing north to the border because I do not have my autos "housed" in California where they base the rates on zip codes or risk areas. We do (will) live within 30 miles of the border.

I would hate to use a US mail box address and have an accident and find out I'm not covered when driving in San Diego! So, any suggestions? Is there an insurance company that covers both? I have an article from the Baja Times (2007) that says "National Unity Insurance Company offers US auto insurance to American citizens who reside in Mexico". I have not been able to contact them.
Old 05-12-09, 09:21 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: About US auto insurance while in Mexico

Talk to any of the insurance agents in the border area in San Ysidro / Chula Vista area that issue car insurance for Mexico. I mean "REAL" insurance agents with a brokers license and who can also insure your home, etc. Not the 'Jack-in-the-Box' drive through insurance places that will tell you anything you want to hear to get your credit card.

I went with one that is at the Dairy Mart turn off in the shopping center behind the Burger King. (or is it Carl Jr's??)

There is an insurance agency there and I get an annual policy for Mexico and another for the US. They worked me out a great deal. You do have to have some US address or how would you keep a US based drivers license, right???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-12-09, 10:41 AM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Ron....That would be behind Burger King.

I have full coverage from AAA which will cover my vehicle up to 50 miles below the border. Since I live about 100 miles below, I have full coverage with a Mexican company as well. Lots of insurance.

If one has only drivers license insurance, a US address is required. It's designed for tourists and isn't even sold to Mexicans. Their insurance is expensive. Consequently, hit'n run is popular.

Insurance...Don't leave home without it.
Old 05-12-09, 02:57 PM   #4
Nighttrain

Nighttrain is on a distinguished road

If you're ex-military, you can buy what's called a "border policy" from USAA. It covers you up to 75 miles below the border. Should work fine for you, since you live in Rosarito.
Old 05-12-09, 03:04 PM   #5
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
If you're ex-military, you can buy what's called a "border policy" from USAA. It covers you up to 75 miles below the border. Should work fine for you, since you live in Rosarito.

What is the USAA?
Old 05-12-09, 04:57 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

USAA has a restricted clientele. Originally started to provide products for officers in the military. Not sure what qualifies today. As a side note, GEICO was started for the enlisted folk. Today, it takes all comers.
Old 05-12-09, 06:12 PM   #7
BajaGringo

You mean that little lizard is letting anybody buy insurance now???

Old 05-13-09, 11:07 AM   #8
Bajahowodd

Yep. GEICO has been taking all applicants for many years. I actually worked for them for six years eons ago. Unlike the snobbery of USAA figuring that if one gets to be an officer, they surely must be more thoughtful drivers, GEICO realized (during the Viet Nam draft era) that being a grunt was no different than the general population. Oh. One other thing. GEICO was actually bankrupt in the mid-1970's and would not have survived if if wasn't for the DC Commisioner of Insurance (who had very little else to work on), who put together a rescue fund with coerced contributions from several other carriers.
Old 05-13-09, 11:47 AM   #9
Nighttrain

Yes, that and some little investor named Warren Buffett or something like that.
Old 05-13-09, 12:49 PM   #10
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
Yes, that and some little investor named Warren Buffett or something like that.
I really like his music. 8-)
Old 05-13-09, 01:23 PM   #11
BajaGringo

Old 05-13-09, 02:51 PM   #12
Nighttrain

One of us is confused.

Old 05-13-09, 03:49 PM   #13
DENNIS

Yeah...That's Warren. Now I have happy feet and my dog is looking for the door.
Didn't Warren and his buddys sing Bloody Maryville or something like that?
Old 05-13-09, 04:12 PM   #14
gointomex

OK, now USAA will only sell you insurance if you separated from the military after 1996 or if your parents have insurance with them. My folks only have stock market stuff there, so no go. I went to AAA in town and they don't have a clue (northern California) so said they will check with southern californa AAA and call me back. We will see.
Old 05-14-09, 12:28 AM   #15
bromista

bromista is on a distinguished road

I have never used them but I have heard that you can buy combined auto insurance policies for the US and Mexico from Mexipass. I think they have insurance resellers in Chula Vista.

www.mexipass.com
Old 05-14-09, 06:12 AM   #16
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gointomex
But, my insurance agent says when I move to Baja and "house" my autos there, I will not be covered in California for crossing north to the border because I do not have my autos "housed" in California where they base the rates on zip codes or risk areas. We do (will) live within 30 miles of the border.
Having read your post more carefully, I think I can give you a more adaquate answer.
I used to insure my cars basically with GMAC till I made the error of disclosing to them that I lived in Mexico. I didn't know better. They dropped me like a rock. Just said they wouldn't underwrite me anymore.
I needed stateside insurance so I got a lease agreement off the internet and filled it out using my buddy's address in Landers, California. Took that to AAA and they insured me but, in the process, told me that same thing. If I lived full time in Mexico, they wouldn't underwrite me. I recieve all of my mail in San Ysidro and they had no problem with that.

So, there you have it. A little creativity goes a long way.
Old 05-14-09, 06:27 AM   #17
BajaGringo

It is a gray area and I just figured that best thing was to give the facts to the agent and let them come up with the solution. That way, if there ever is a claim...

:?

Old 05-14-09, 06:29 AM   #18
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I used to insure my cars basically with GMAC till I made the error of disclosing to them that I lived in Mexico. I didn't know better. They dropped me like a rock. Just said they wouldn't underwrite me anymore.
Good info Dennis and your timing was perfect. Just yesterday Ola and I were discussing how, and with who, we were going to insure our vehicles when we move to Baja full time. One question the U.S. insurance companies ask is where the vehicle will be located. We were debating if saying Mexico was a good or bad idea. We were wondering if they would be more incline to give a discount if we said Mexico, as they would be less vulnerable to a claim because we wouldn't be driving in the U.S. as often. Guess not. Made sense to me though.
Old 05-14-09, 11:07 AM   #19
Bajahowodd

My personal experience, as someone who makes several trips into Mexico a year, some long weekends, some one-week two and three-week trips, I have been using Mexadventure.com or Bajabound.com for years. They both work with a number of large international insurers. The day before I go, I go online, fill out the required info, use my credit card and print out my Dec page. Both sites store your info, so you don't have to go through the entire process every tiime. They both also have toll-free numbers and live people. Not trying to plug either. They do offfer annual policies, as well.
Old 05-14-09, 03:42 PM   #20
gointomex

Bajahowodd - living in California and going to Mexico is fine. My problem is living in Mexico and going to California. Still waiting to hear from AAA.