General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 05-25-09, 05:25 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default May 31st - Limpieza de Mexico

I have been following a growing call online coming from Mexico City for May 31st to be designated "Limpieza de Mexico". I suppose the cynical side of us could come up with some zingy one liners but the reality is that we can either choose to stand by and criticize / wait for it to fail or get involved and help to make the day a success.

I choose the latter option. In our beach side community outside San Quintin we are organizing a day to pick up trash, separate recyclables and build some better trash collection facilities for outsiders who come to visit the local beaches here. I agreed to provide a beach BBQ that night for all who participate and have gotten a few sponsors to provide cold beer, food and entertainment. It should turn out to be a fun day.

I hope that some of you may consider similar worthwhile projects and participate as well in your favorite Baja spots...

Limpiemos Nuestro Mexico

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-25-09, 08:41 PM   #2
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Default Re: May 31st - Limpieza de Mexico

I have been seeing the ads on TV pushing the idea of cleaning up of the country but today is the first time I have seen an effort to do so.
Several streets were partly blocked off and crews with trucks and front loaders were cleaning up the many months accumulation of dirt along the sides of the streets.

It's a start.
Old 05-26-09, 11:20 AM   #3
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Every time I walk on the beach, I take a garbage bag and pick up the trash I see. I figured it's my beach too and I'm there - so why not. Some days I fill a small kichen garbage bag and some days ther is hardly anything to pick up. Our HO association has a beach clean up 2 x's a year, but why wait?
Old 05-26-09, 11:23 AM   #4
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

I have seen more of this type of clean up events in the last year than in the previous ten years in Baja. I think that this is great news. Hopefully we see more of this coming.
Old 05-26-09, 05:37 PM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I hope you are right. I am going to do my part...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic