Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 02-03-12, 04:35 PM   #221
mike99km

mike99km is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Our Construction Thread...

Instead of electric blankets try hot water bottles. We will fill them with boiling or hot water 10 minutes before going to bed. They are still warm in the morning. No drain on power and very warm, cost about 20 busks and good for a 3-4 years.We prefer the natural rubber over the urethane and rubber from Walgreen.
Amazon.com: Hot Water Bottles
Old 02-08-12, 07:03 AM   #222
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Now that the windows are in and the house is sealed, I've got to say that the foam insulation in the cells of the blocks is a definite improvement. The temperature in the main house is much more comfortable than in our guest house (where we're currently living) that has no insulation. The difference is definitely noticable. I'm going to call it a success.
Old 02-08-12, 07:20 AM   #223
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

That is great news Wooo but I would still recommend the electric blanket for those chilly nights, if only turned on for a short while to warm up the bed before getting in. They really draw very little current...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-08-12, 08:47 AM   #224
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Wooo & Ola....
Old 02-08-12, 01:12 PM   #225
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Awesome... you guys must be so stoked.
Old 03-21-12, 02:20 AM   #226
BigWooo

Things are really progressing, but everything is such a mess right now, I'm going to wait a while to post more pictures.

We wound up buying our windows in San Jose Del Cabo from a company called Pacific Fenestrations. PF is an authorized Milgard dealer. The price of the windows, including shipping, was actually less than the cost of the windows alone if bought in the U.S.. Since the windows are made in the U.S. and would be shipped by truck to our house, I wanted to be "in the loop" with the trucking company to assure they arrived with as little damage as possible. After talking to the company that PF used, I was not impressed with their communication skills.

I'd heard some recommendations for ACV trucking and gave them a call. After talking to Armando, the owner, I knew right away they were the ones we wanted to use. I called PF and asked if I could use my own trucking company. They had no problem with the change.

ACV kept us updated with regular emails and when shipping day came, they kept us current each day as to the trucks location and eta. When the windows arrived, they had all been re-packed, wrapped in some sort of butcher paper with a soft coating on the window side, then cardboard, and crated. The owner was not happy with the original packaging and took the time to protect each of the 30 something windows. I would highly recommend this company if you need anything shipped. I'll post his info later, don't know where it is right now. BTW, the window had ZERO damage. Not even a scratch.

We also just received our roof tiles and floor tiles (another story for when I have more time). I've been working the last several weeks framing all the interior walls, running electrical/plumbing, hanging drywall and mudding. We had planned to use block for the interior walls, but since I know (somewhat) how to frame and hang drywall, we decided to save some $$ for other projects, so I'm doing this part myself. I had originally started framing the interior walls with steel studs, but didn't like them. Maybe because I'm not used to them. Regular old 2x4's just seem more solid, and for me, go much faster.

More to follow when time permits....

Last edited by BigWooo; 03-21-12 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 02:26 AM   #227
BigWooo

Oh...BTW, I have looked at lumber at just about every lumber yard in CD. Constitucion with little luck finding good, straight boards. We wound up buying the bulk of the 2x4's at Home Depot, La Paz. They actually have good quality straight boards and are about 20 pesos cheaper each then anywhere else we've looked.
Old 03-21-12, 06:44 AM   #228
BajaGringo

Are you pre-treating the lumber for termites???

Old 03-21-12, 07:01 AM   #229
BigWooo

No...none of the lumber is located where there would be a route for termites to get in. We don't seem to have the flying kind like in the North, just subterranean. Interior walls don't seem to have a problem. I'm not paranoid about chemicals, but I don't want any poisons trapped in the walls, especially if it's a Mexican product that I'm unfamiliar with.

Our guest house has been up for 6 years now without any termite issues in the interior walls. Also, they love pine, but for some reason don't seem to bother doug fir. I have some untreated 4x4 doug fir posts supporting a wind block for our fruit trees, and they don't have any signs of termites. Pine, however gets infested rapidly, it's like candy to them.

Time will tell.....

Last edited by BigWooo; 03-21-12 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 01:42 PM   #230
longlegsinlapaz

Uhhhhhhhh, Wooo, those subterranean little SOB's can smell wood through the cement & can & do eat their way up through the cement sub-floor to get to the wood! I'd be buying a bottle of termite concentrate & spraying all surfaces, including the butt ends of the 2 x 4's outside with a pressure sprayer, let it dry outside & let the sun & air dissipate some of the smell before you install them inside, even for interior wall use. Also spray the bottom 1-2' of your exterior walls & soil around the entire casa foot-print. If they're around at all & getting in the pine, it won't take them long to change their dining habits from pine to other woods.

The name on the stuff I use & swear by is "TermiDel 48", it's labeled as being toxic to pets & humans while it's wet. I just keep Maggie, Jenny & Bing inside until it dries; I've used it all their lives & they're all alive & kicking! I just don't use in inside where the fumes could get to the bird. All the soil & footing trenches here were sprayed with this stuff several times during construction, both before & after footings & foundations were poured so far, so good!

Unfortunately, I learned this after Casa #1 & that place had termites coming up through the floors & out of walls all over almost immediately!! I injected the stuff straight (undiluted) into every hole I could find, but unfortunately, the non-resident buyer didn't keep up with that & when the renters asked me over a year ago to figure out where light switches were to operate some of the exterior lights (buyer had hidden a cluster of 3 switches for outside lights, fans & the pool light behind a huge overgrown forest of potted plants!) I saw how badly the termites had gotten with no treatment for the past 6 years, I came home & cried! So the old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" was really brought home for me.

Don't make me load the kids, my pressure sprayer & termite concentrate in the car & head your direction!
Old 03-21-12, 02:42 PM   #231
BajaGringo

Nothing worse than termites armed with tiny jackhammers...

Old 03-22-12, 05:50 AM   #232
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Uhhhhhhhh,

Don't make me load the kids, my pressure sprayer & termite concentrate in the car & head your direction!
HA! It worked! I finally found a way to get you to visit....

Fortunately about 90% of my downstairs framing is steel. I didn't switch to wood until I got upstairs. If those buggers find their way up there, they deserve a meal!
Old 03-22-12, 07:39 AM   #233
longlegsinlapaz

They'll either eat their way up....or simply take the stairs!
Old 03-26-12, 07:26 PM   #234
BigWooo

It's just past our "one year since breaking ground" anniversary. I decided to take half the day off today, and since it's so windy and miserable outside, I spent the day indoors organizing some pictures.

Earlier I talked about how great ACV trucking is. Here is a picture of the packing job they did on the window shipment:

The patio has been poured and the curved wall plastered:

In the stairway we installed solar tubes to bring light to what would be a dark area:

The casing for the solar tubes were built up, and above potential water level during heavy rains. I learned this one from reading about Leg's skylight issues The entire flat roof area was sealed with Merlex Super Blockade.

Here's a couple shots of what will be the outside BBQ and dining area:

This will eventually be a shade structure inside a walled courtyard:

We've started laying tile, beginning with the master bathroom:

Living Room:

Kitchen is on the other side of the arches:

Ocean side of the house:

Old 03-26-12, 07:30 PM   #235
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Stunning.

Words fail me.
Old 03-26-12, 07:57 PM   #236
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Impressive guys. Would hold off on the dust prevention till all is finished. In the mean time invest in some powerful leafblowers to get rid of dust accumulation. Had our share of that problem after Loreto Bay denuded acres of desert around us.
Old 03-26-12, 08:00 PM   #237
BajaGringo

I only have two words... Too Cool!!!

Old 03-26-12, 09:58 PM   #238
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Wow!!!! Won't be long now.
I've gotta ask ... is that raspberry jello in the bathtub, or ...
Old 03-27-12, 05:47 AM   #239
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Wow!!!! Won't be long now.
I've gotta ask ... is that raspberry jello in the bathtub, or ...
We just wanted a pink tub.... It's a sealer called C-cure Pro Red. It goes on pink and dries dark red. Makes it easy to see if any spots were missed.

I think we're about 6 to 8 weeks away from being done with the masons. Still a lot to do though: Power, water, cabinets, outlets, lights...........and paint. I think it's still about 4 or 5 months before we move in since we're doing everything except the cabinets ourselves.
Old 03-27-12, 05:54 AM   #240
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinnopolo
Impressive guys. Would hold off on the dust prevention till all is finished. In the mean time invest in some powerful leafblowers to get rid of dust accumulation. Had our share of that problem after Loreto Bay denuded acres of desert around us.
I've actually contemplated a leaf blower. Right now with all the barren dirt, the spring winds just bury our casita patio in sand/dirt. A courtyard wall and landscaping will go a long way to resolve that.