General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-18-10, 11:05 AM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default One of the things I love about Mexico...

Reading BigWooo's post about the gentlemen who stopped what he was doing and brought over the car jack to help them out reminded me of something that happened to me a week or so ago...

I was driving down from central California and hit north San Diego county just in time for what remained of the evening commuter traffic. As I made my way down towards the border a car changed lanes in front of me and braked suddenly to avoid hitting the car ahead that was braking for traffic. I slammed on my brakes and felt my heart sink as I heard a loud metallic noise and my brake pedal went to the floor. I shifted down quickly and was able to move into the inside left service lane to slow down. I got out to check and saw brake fluid pouring out from inside my back left tire.

I looked at my watch and it was after 7:30 PM and I knew there was no way I could get this fixed north of the border this time of the day. I checked my brakes and I still had some (minimum) braking ability so I just drove slowly down the inside left lane against the fence all the way down to the border and hobbled across. I figured I stood a much better chance of finding someone to fix it at that time of day (night) in Tijuana so I was going to take the chance. I made my way through town at 5 mph to a brake shop I had used in the past and remembered they stayed open late.

They took the tire off and discovered that the brake caliper piston had burst and destroyed the caliper and disc. Calling all around town they got me a new disc but the caliper was not available at any of the stores still open.

The owner of the shop got on his phone and started calling his friends at stores in San Ysidro / Chula Vista. He located a caliper at a Kragen store in Chula Vista and then immediately sent one of his employees to drive his son to the border to cross, meet another friend who would drive him to the Kragen store and then bring him back to the border where the shop employee was waiting to bring him back.

All the time this manuveur was going on he invites me to enjoy some tacos with him from a vendor across the street. At 9:45 I was back on the road heading south to San Quintin.

Total cost for the brake repair service including disc, caliper and new pads?

1600 pesos.

Tell me where you could ever get that kind of service north of the border at any price...
Old 01-18-10, 02:09 PM   #2
Tacho

Tacho is on a distinguished road

Default Re: One of the things I love about Mexico...

They We hate our your freedom.
Old 01-19-10, 06:00 AM   #3
baja brat

baja brat is on a distinguished road

More things too....

I love that I can get a doctor to come to my home, here. Not like back home

I love that I can get needed medicine over the counter without first waiting for a doctor appointment, then insisting that yes doc this stuff really works for me, going through the whole insurance thing etc.

I love that each and every time I have come here, I see smiling faces......everywhere
But then again, what's not to love?

I love that I can get fresh warm tortillas at my local grocery store. You may think I'm nuts, but I just love to press those against my cheek, ah the warmness and aroma!

I love, and it tickles me to see the cows piled up on the medians, munching away.

I love the color of the birds.......
Old 01-19-10, 08:30 AM   #4
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

ALMOST A DISASTER IN THE DESERT MARCH 2009

As told by me somewhere else!

While at this location, 30.208962 -114.953829, (Google Earth), I destroyed my right rear brakes. The story is that I put on my parking brakes while parked on an incline with my four wheel drive still engaged. Later, when I moved my truck I forgot to disengage the handbrake and took off. Well in four wheel drive I was not stopped by the handbrake. I took off and drove a distance of about 50 to 100 feet when I heard a loud popping sound followed by metal on metal noises in the back. I looked under my truck and noticed brake fluid leaking from the right rear wheel area. Thank goodness I had my 3-1/2 ton jack with me. I think the pictures below speak for themselves. The brake backing plate was bent and all of the brake parts were loose in the brake drum.

With help from Paco we removed all the brake guts and at the suggestion of Paco we used a cut nail to tap one end of the brake line to plug the line. With that and a little brake fluid Sany had I at least had three working brakes and cautiously drove back to El Rosario. My brother Jimmy sent me to San Quintin to a place called Frenos Unicos. It is located across the street from a school at the very south end of town. Manuel, the owner drove me to the junk yard to locate a right rear brake backing plate but they wanted to sell me an entire differential just for the part I needed. I did not buy it so Manuel had them remove the brake backing plate and tap the brake line junction box above the differential with a nail.

Manuel had to open up my differential to remove the right rear axle to get access to the brake backing plate then reinstall everything. He even put a new set of brake pads on my left rear wheel all for 300 Pesos. I can recommend Frenos Unicos and Manuel to anyone needing break repairs while down in that area. I went back to El Rosario then back out into the mountains where I spent another night under the stars. The repairs got me home safe and sound with plenty of braking power.
Frenos Unicos San Quintin

Address: Av Emiliano Zapata 150
Ejido Nuevo Baja California
Ensenada, Baja California 22930

Tel: From USA 01152616.165-2325

Baja Cell Phone: 616.165-2325

This business is in San Quintin

Owner: Manuel Cabrera

Complete Brake Reapir

He repaired my brakes in March 2009 and can attest that he does great work. He's the only place I will go from now on!

Normal appearance of rear brake backing plate

My right rear wheel without rear backing plate (YIKES NO BRAKE)

Brake line junction box above rear differential. The screw in piece on the right had a nail inside blocking the fluid from escaping

The pieces

First Night camping before brake problem

Sany sleeping by his Cat. On the left you can see my air mattress and sleeping bag in the back of my truck

Paco's bed on the side of the cat. I did bring two cots for them but only Paco used it.

Sany sleeping on the ground at second camp site.

Paco sleeping on the ground at the second camp site.

Of course I am comfortable on my air mattress in the back of my truck

This is also near 30.208962 -114.953829, (Google Earth)
Old 01-19-10, 11:46 AM   #5
BajaGringo

Funny note to add to your story David - I know Paco. He often works on some of the ranches in the sierras south of El Rosario where I am working on a long term project. He is a very good horseman as well...
Old 01-19-10, 12:28 PM   #6
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

Hi Ron, The last time I was in El Rosario Paco was living with my brother Sany and working for him making roads. He's a good kid. Mama Espinoza's husband Heraclio raised him from a little kid until he was about 18 then he went off into the world to live on his own. Now he's back. Kind of like my story when I lived with Mama Espinoza.
Old 01-19-10, 12:47 PM   #7
BajaGringo

He is a very nice kid. He makes some great flour tortillas as well!
Old 01-19-10, 02:14 PM   #8
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

I love how people are so helpful here. We've had a motorcycle policeman (in uniform) jump under and disassemble a broken clutch arm, then take the part to a mechanic. He later brought the mechanic and part back to us where the two of them finished the repairs right there in the street.

Had a couple of truck drivers park one in front and one behind us while helping me change a tire faster than an Indy pit crew.

That stuff never happens back home.
Old 01-19-10, 08:02 PM   #9
BajaGringo

I have found that your positive experience with folks down here is directly proportional to your attitude. Obviously you both give off some good vibes/karma. Some folks just never seem to get it.

You are going to do just fine...
Old 01-20-10, 12:50 AM   #10
Montezumas Revenge

Montezumas Revenge is on a distinguished road

I miss the feeling of being the real me the free and adventurous person inside. I love Mexico cause it brings out a part of me that is pure natural and more soulful then anything else in my life. A lot of my personal close friends know this to be true I left the best part of me there in Baja ten years ago when I left for the mid west. Hopefully with in the year Ill be back to reclaim it. Lol, even my last fiance knew she couldn't compete with the love I have for the Baja teo things in mylife that end relationships:

Fishing the ocean

Baja living on the beach sleeping under the blanket of the milky way. Hearing the waves crash on the cobble stone beaches, the sunset, Colonet on a clear day, Fishing San Martin Island. People that genuinely smile cause there happy to see you or are just happy.