Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 01-18-10, 07:19 PM   #1
Binger

Binger is on a distinguished road

Default Trip from Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas

Leaving next week, 1/28, driving our new car from Phoenix with my son to our house in Cabo to leave it there. Has anyone does this lately and is it best to cross the border(and safe also) at Tecate compared with going to Tijuna. Hopefully the current rains will not juice the road if I take the is it Highway 3 to Ensenda. What time should I leave Phoenix to make it safely to GN by sundown or can't that be done. I would like to make it to Cabo no later than Sunday noon. That would leave 2 1/2 days of driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My first trip driving. Thanks, Binger
Old 01-18-10, 07:55 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Trip from Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas

Tecate is always a great place to cross. As far as your first day's drive, I wouldn't try to make it beyond San Quintin or El Rosario. For that you will need to make a very early start from Phoenix. I figure it should take you about 7 to 8 hours to make the border and then another four hours to San Quintin or five hours or a bit less to El Rosario. That is a long day of driving and there are good accommodations in both towns.

That will leave you two days to make it to Cabo from there and that is very doable.
Old 01-19-10, 06:55 PM   #3
Binger

Binger is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks for the help. Will this rainy weather affect the roads on the way to Ensenda from Tecate?
Old 01-23-10, 12:12 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Right now it is a mess all the way down. I am trying to plot a route I can go to make it up to the border. I would hold your plans for a few days...
Old 01-23-10, 02:37 PM   #5
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

Have a friend stuck between Ensenada and San Quintin. Don't even think about trying it right now if this is your first time. It's a mess.