General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-21-10, 08:10 PM   #1
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default What was that noise or as El Pescador Turns

Was laying in bed reading and surfing the next in a heavy, heavy rain storm today around 2 p.m.

And heard a very solid "thud" and the house shook... I thought a power pole had hit a house near us.. used to do that kind of work years ago and knew the sound of something heavy hitting the ground or a structure.. looked out the windows, the house to three sides looked ok.. but the rain was too heavy to go outside.. so I wait for a bit.. I finally started to put on my wind breaker and the wife wanted to know where I thought I was going, "Outside" I said.. Well, this started a bit of a discussion as to my ability to walk and the fact that I was recovering from walking pneumonia, and that my medication makes a bit unstable when I walk. I told her I was fine and went outside were her cheery face imprinted in my brain.

Once outside, I looked at the our house and the other homes, but did not see any damage to the structures at all. A fella was going up on one roof across the way to fix a bad leak in the roof, said he did not see anything, so no big woof that I could see..

Went back in to my darling wife, who wasn't talking to me at this time.. So I decided to take the dogs out side for their business.. it was then, when I was outside and looked at our neighbors to the South that I noticed that there seemed to be an "openness" which had not been there before..

This was true, as their entire fence which faced the ocean had collapsed and fallen down.. Please see the attached picture..

I finally found out "what was that noise", went back in and got my camera, took some pictures and called the folks to tell them the good news and emailed the pictures.. they were really happy to get the news and the new view, plus the fella, "Richard" that is building the home was really getting bored.. he was almost finished... he likes to keep active as does his wife Susan :) :)

Old 01-22-10, 08:10 PM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What was that noise or as El Pescador Turns

Good news/Bad news scenario....It's all in the perspective!

The GOOD news (from your perspective) is that was the neighbor's casa!

The BAD news (from the neighbor's perspective) is that it was his casa!

I think your neighbor needs to invest in a good retaining wall!
Old 01-22-10, 08:41 PM   #3
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

That is positively horrible. I'm sure sorry for your neighbor!
Old 01-22-10, 09:33 PM   #4
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Huh. Must be why they put those holes at the bottom

or any other method of letting moisture escape from those types of walls.....ooops!
Old 01-22-10, 11:28 PM   #5
wessongroup

Yes, it's all true... he was put behind project by his crew... they took off for 5 weeks at Christmas.. Were supposed to be gone for two.

It was on the "to do list" but, the priorities were changed by the lack of progress on the: roof, new pours inside and outside, the kitchen, and many others, which put the "new wall" off and you can see the rest...

I feel however it was a blessing in disguise..... Now they can start afresh, as they did with the house.. They tore down the entire old one and built a new one.

In its current state, the yard and fenced area will be completely re-done, and it might come out even better.. How's that for looking at the upside?
Old 01-23-10, 08:36 AM   #6
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I agree....the upside is now your neighbor KNOWS how hell-for-stout he needs to make that new retaining wall! Tough lesson learned though!!
Old 01-23-10, 11:56 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Yikes!!!
Old 01-23-10, 12:31 PM   #8
wessongroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
I agree....the upside is now your neighbor KNOWS how hell-for-stout he needs to make that new retaining wall! Tough lesson learned though!!
Are we having fun yet, he was out taking measurements this morning

Last edited by wessongroup; 01-23-10 at 12:41 PM. Reason: not a complete thought