Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 01-31-10, 07:45 AM   #1
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Default Stuff-Sun, Moon and a Boat

I'm testing Flickr for posting pictures. I think the quality is a bit better than photobucket, maybe.

Sunrise:

Sunset:

Old 01-31-10, 10:43 AM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Stuff-Sun, Moon and a Boat

WOW!!!! Vivid colors!! Only you know how close to reality the colors are. But the pics & composition are great!!
Old 01-31-10, 12:10 PM   #3
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

That moon shot is unreal..
Old 01-31-10, 12:22 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Great photos.

How do you figure one service can offer better quality if it is all digital?

Old 01-31-10, 05:18 PM   #5
wessongroup

Really striking photographs, the moon in absolutely stuning, how did you get that shot?

Would you mind sharing information about your camera and the settings you used, the whiteness of the moon is unreal, considering were are looking at a picture, not the real thing, and it still just unbelievable, I have never seen a "moon" that looked like that.

And don't tell me its a "Brownie Hawkeye"

Thanks
Old 01-31-10, 06:05 PM   #6
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Those are brilliant shots! The one with the moon is really special.
Old 01-31-10, 06:08 PM   #7
Gaucho

Gaucho is on a distinguished road

Those are ALL fantastic...
Old 01-31-10, 06:24 PM   #8
BigWooo

Thank you. Here's the original:

And here's the "fixed" version that I posted above:

I normally use Photoshop to clean up the pictures, but I've been experimenting with the editing options in IPhoto on our new Mac lately.

The Camera is a Pentax K10D
The original is shot at
ISO 400
Exp. 1/30 sec
F 4.5

The lens is a 400mm lens but was set at 150mm

Don't I sound intelligent? All I did was set it on a tripod, set the shutter timer so I wouldn't move the camera while depressing the button, and had it on auto everything. The camera came up with the settings above. I think what helped with this picture is that the moon came up when there was still quite a bit of daylight left. It wasn't completely dark out.

In the other pictures, The boat is a bit enhanced to bring out the blue, but I didn't touch the sunrise or sunset photos. That's actually how they looked!
Old 01-31-10, 06:26 PM   #9
BigWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Great photos.

How do you figure one service can offer better quality if it is all digital?

Maybe it's just me but for some reason pictures I've uploaded to Flickr seem a bit more crisp. But then....maybe it's because I remembered to wear my glasses today
Old 01-31-10, 06:34 PM   #10
BajaGringo

Did you see any change in the file size?
Old 01-31-10, 08:32 PM   #11
wessongroup

I've got a tripod and I have been wanting to try some night shots too.. it does make a difference

I think I know what you mean about the camera.. I have just started to get off "suto"

Also, had upgraded to a new intel mac.. and my old Adobe CS2 would not run... what just today able to install the CS2 onto an external firewire drive and success, I can open all the applications, even though my current OS is not supported by the Adobe or Vise a versa.. (it's time to upgrade, swine)

Again, really interesting "art" work, as that is about what one can do with just what your using...

Hope I get as good/lucky/touched by God/

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-31-10, 11:12 PM   #12
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Wow, way to enjoy the retirement. I am inspired to muddle through the next few years in good spirits knowing what awaits me!
Old 02-01-10, 07:43 AM   #13
BigWooo

Gringo: No, no difference in file size

Soulpatch: It goes by fast, at least it seems like it did. I made the mistake of counting the number of shifts I had left, then crossed them off daily. Don't do it! It only makes it seem longer

Wesson: Thank you. Tripod makes a huge difference, but I've got to ween myself off auto also. I met Tripledigitken from BN recently. He's a great photographer and gave me some hints. I'm going to start with aperture priority first and work my way from there.

Ken shoots all his pictures in both RAW and JPG. Right now I'm shooting my pictures in RAW Adobe DNG format which does not modify the pictures. I like to do it myself. If I understood Ken correctly, when shooting in .jpg, the camera will somewhat enhance the photo. When I shoot both simultaneously, I can see the difference, but I don't always like the camera's jpg version. Someday I'll learn to get the pictures right the first time and not have to "fix" them. I think I shoot 20 bad pictures for every good one. Thank goodness for digital!
Old 02-01-10, 11:11 AM   #14
wessongroup

Now ain't that the true.. thank god for digital.. I can't believe that one can shoot that many pic.. about the only limit is battery.. and the charger brings it back in about on hour, unbelievable..

Have seen Ken's stuff, it is just super.. and thanks for the information on the difference your seeing from .jep and raw.. have been wanting to try that too

Have just used the "aperture" on a few shots in the morning and late evenings but I've been in bed for the past almost two months and have not been able to get out very much to use the stupid thing.. I also have a celestron telescope which I have not been able to even aligned today.. that I would like to take some pictures with too..

I'm going over the manual.. reading it a couple of times and watching the DVD's that came with the unit.. and just would really like to get out and start using it a bit..

Well, all in good time... and I only hope I can get one like that moon.. don't know why but it has something for me...
Old 02-01-10, 01:05 PM   #15
BajaGringo

Ken is a very good photographer and I have enjoyed his photo threads as well. I like shooting in RAW and then work with them myself. Photography is a great hobby and living down here in Baja gives us a great and varied subject to work with...
Old 02-01-10, 03:24 PM   #16
wessongroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Ken is a very good photographer and I have enjoyed his photo threads as well. I like shooting in RAW and then work with them myself. Photography is a great hobby and living down here in Baja gives us a great and varied subject to work with...
I didn't think of it when I saw the picture, but it must have been yours.. was just up a short time ago.. sunset with what appeared to be Leg's walking on water towards a couple of Islands in the near back ground..

The photo was really very beautiful.. don't know where it went.. just looked for it.. couldn't find the older thread..

But, you take a good one too... looks I'm in the right place for getting up to speed on "cameras and using Photoshop" this will be just fine.. have a oder coming from Curcial for another 4 gig of ram.. see if that helps the laptop a bit with the files

Thanks for sharing, to all..

did I say that, I'm going to my room, wait I'm already there ... what punishment ?

Last edited by wessongroup; 02-01-10 at 03:26 PM. Reason: after thought