General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 02-02-10, 08:22 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default 15K Sea Turtles Illegally Exported to USA...

According to Wallace Nichols with Wildcoast, 15,000 sea turtles are exported illegally from Baja California each year to the USA.
Old 02-03-10, 07:21 AM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 15K Sea Turtles Illegally Exported to USA...

Never got the turtle meat thing.. remember once a long time ago.. yeah in a distant galaxy , well I was trying to be a good son in law, ... the wife and I had gone over to the in-laws early on a Saturday morning, there was to be a party... I was going to mow the yard and help out with a lot of stuff, my father in law could not do... He was a dentist and would use the hand thing all the time..

Well, I decided to start out in the kitchen,, do the dishes, scrub the counters... give it a good GI cleaning.. I started with pots and pans first.. I found a medium sized cooking contained with the foulest smelling crap.. it almost made me lose my breakfast.. so I thought well she must have forgotten to put it away and it spoiled...

Later in the morning, I hear all this yelling, I go back into the house, to find out what is wrong.. WHERE IS THE TURLTE SOUP, where did you put it?? Soup? I asked, yes SOUP, where did you put it...?? Holding the pan which had held the foul smelling crap that I had tossed down the garbage disposal... How could you do that, Turtle Soup is a delicacy ...

Well, for one that was just getting used to Menudo.. all I could say was I'm sorry, but it smelled like someone died to me!!..

They all start laughing, my mother in law gives me a big hug, and tells me to sit down, the Tamales are ready, and how many eggs to I want on them??

I for one, don't see the need for these little fellers' to be harvested.. eat a carrot, or a head of lettuce, make a salad, eat a goat.. someone around here had one.. I have had goat, cooked in the ground by my wife's grandfather.. was one of the best eating things .. it did give me dreams.. I swear it did ... and it didn't sink either... when it was cooked, alive, now that is a different story..
Old 02-03-10, 08:35 AM   #3
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

Old 02-03-10, 11:53 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I wonder how/where they are transporting/crossing so many turtles???
Old 02-03-10, 03:30 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

This report came out May 2009.. don't think much has changed.. due to the location of the subject species..

I'm sure its about what everyone knows.. but, some folks for a lot of time and effort into developing the report.. it's free.. take a look

http://www.int-res.com/articles/esr2009/7/n007p001.pdf