General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 02-02-10, 09:06 PM   #1
xtina.r

xtina.r is on a distinguished road

Default few questions

Hi, first post and right off the bat questions...I hope that as the weeks go on I can also contribute rather than gather info :)

a) horseback riding - does anyone know of any working ranches or otherwise where one could possibly stay and ride horses.

b) language schools near Loreta? (or recommendation on nice places with language schools) I seriously need to learn spanish. Hoping to pass for a while and then take nest in a nice town with a good vibe and start studying. Loreta looks like a quaint town - any suggestions?

c) does anyone know of hotels to stay near San Telmo or vicinity. We have the option to maybe visit a condor protection area in the sierra san pedro while en route south and don't fancy driving too much in one day and in dark. San Telmo seems like the place to turn off...so a place for the night there would ensure we can actually stick around and talk to people we need to talk to rather than drive by and wave.

d) I tried looking for reservations at - the only hotel I could find- in catavina but not sure if they are out of business/closed for the season/ or they just don't update internet bookings. As I (not yet) speak any spanish I cannot call them - does anyone know if they are open for business? We were hoping to have a stop there to break up driving and go for a wonder rather than just hail mary down the desert. Any other stop suggestions if that is closed?

thanks for the (tourguide) help - much appreciated
c
Old 02-03-10, 07:22 AM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: few questions

About all I can say is the German Educational System is to be complimented.. your ability to communicate in the English language is "outstanding"..
Old 02-03-10, 08:52 AM   #3
xtina.r

Was I too verbose?

Thanks - I have lived in English speaking countries for a very long time now so not sure how much is to blame on school and how much is teevee :)
Old 02-03-10, 11:05 AM   #4
wessongroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtina.r
Was I too verbose?

Thanks - I have lived in English speaking countries for a very long time now so not sure how much is to blame on school and how much is teevee :)
Too verbose.. Not at all..

Just was impressed at your ability to communicate in another language so effectively, was intended as a compliment..

For me, it is the educational system, not the teevee.. spent three years in Germany (many, many years ago) , and about the best I could ever do was to order a beer and say thank you, maybe a bit more, but not much... really quite pathetic..

I have always been impressed by those who can speak foreign languages, let alone be able write too..

Hope you enjoy your stay and keep safe.. this is a rather wild place at times.. but, I'm sure your both are not a strangers to the problems of travel in different countries
Old 02-17-10, 09:34 PM   #5
xtina.r

Thought I'd answer my own questions in case someone else wonders similarly..

1) the desert inn hotel in catavina is still alive an kicking even though I'd be damned if I have to stay there. firstly : could they give even less of a shit then they clearly are not giving right now? We walked in smiling, hola...buenas tardes...and they could not be even arsed to look up from the desk to greet us.. ok?! A sign on the wall outlined their prices: $98 US a night..HAHAHAHAHA..ummm no - bye! It is not that far to Guerro Negro - just push through!

2) There is a rancho just off San Telmo that meets both criteria for question a and c - though sadly the bad weather meant I didn't get to check it out myself as the whole area was covered in snow and impassable. Untitled

3) There are no language schools in Loreto to do spanish immersion courses like you can do in La Paz or Ensenada. However there are some private tutors available that the hotels can connect you with

cheers
c
Old 02-18-10, 08:32 AM   #6
wessongroup

Thanks for posting the information, it all helps

Hope your Baja experience is not too bad.. all the time..

Keep the information coming and pictures if you can.. it's always nice to see what one is talking about..

I don't get out much, so pictures are really a treat.. even like the link as it had some pictures of where you stayed....
Old 02-18-10, 08:29 PM   #7
xtina.r

cheers..no loving Baja - no troubles at all (well other than the near barfight at Hussongs but that all got sorted and in the end much beer was shared and songs were sung ;) . We are taking our sweet time travelling through the peninsular and so far loving it all. Drinking in Ensenada, Whale watching in San Ignancio, camping in the sierra san francisco, fishing in Loreto and many magaritas, cerveza and relaxing moments with a book in the sunshine everywhere else. life is easy :) Few roadtrip pictures if interested

c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baja north (1 of 9).jpg

Views:	42

Size:	751.9 KB

ID:	1494   Click image for larger version

Name:	baja north (5 of 6).jpg

Views:	44

Size:	796.4 KB

ID:	1495   Click image for larger version

Name:	baja north (6 of 9).jpg

Views:	40

Size:	1.20 MB

ID:	1496   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey whales (3 of 7).jpg

Views:	45

Size:	104.2 KB

ID:	1497   Click image for larger version

Name:	sierra san francisco rock art (1 of 17).jpg

Views:	45

Size:	868.4 KB

ID:	1498  

Old 02-18-10, 08:37 PM   #8
La Guera

La Guera is on a distinguished road

Beautiful photos - you are a good photographer!
Old 02-18-10, 08:54 PM   #9
xtina.r

oh thanks :) good scenery helps !
c
Old 02-18-10, 10:15 PM   #10
wessongroup

Sounds like your getting to have a trully outstanding trip.. that is just great, good for you.. really glad to hear your having such a great time !!

Really liked your compositions too.. a very nice view of things.. thanks