Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 03-12-10, 08:37 AM   #1
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Actions to Take if Caught in the Middle of a Gunfight/Gunfire

The U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana is not aware of any attempts to specifically target U.S. citizens with this violence

Due to several gun battles in Reynosa and Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, in recent days, the U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey urges all U.S. citizens to avoid travel to those cities.

violence in the country has increased. It is imperative that U.S. citizens understand the risks in Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and whom to contact if one becomes a crime victim. Common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas during daylight hours, and avoiding areas where prostitution and drug dealing might occur, can help ensure that travel to Mexico is safe and enjoyable.

none of the drug cartel violence has directly targeted American citizens...private Americans in Guadalajara currently do not face crime or safety concerns distinct from those of other residents or tourists. Anti-American sentiment is seldom expressed towards American citizens

U.S. citizens who are not involved in criminal activities are generally not targeted

It does not appear that these criminals are specifically targeting American cars or American citizens

There is no evidence to indicate that criminal elements are specifically targeting U.S. citizens or foreign visitors, however, all U.S. and foreign visitors are vulnerable to crime as they are often perceived to be wealthier than the local populace and are more likely to be carrying large amounts of cash and other valuables. The main risk for visitors continues to be crimes of opportunity or being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

OSAC - Overseas Security Advisory Council
OSAC - Crime and Safety Reports
Old 03-12-10, 09:07 AM   #2
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Actions to Take if Caught in the Middle of a Gunfight/Gunfire

Always wise to be aware of ones surroundings... Many of us tend to let our minds wander while out walking or listen to i-pods instead of staying alert for what is around us...
Old 12-14-10, 01:04 PM   #3
fearless

fearless is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Re: Actions to Take if Caught in the Middle of a Gunfight/Gunfire

Is there any information on the locations,if any, in Baja below Gerrerro Negro to Cabo? Or any outbreaks of drug war violence, gunfights, etc... during this civil war to control the money lines through out Mexico.? Or it it mostly at T.J and northern border providences and main land Mexico?
Old 12-16-10, 10:24 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

You can run into trouble anywhere, north or south of the border but in all my years here I have learned that just using some common sense will be your best bet. The border area is by far your biggest area of concern - just know where you are going, stay alert and have a nice trip....

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-16-10, 11:26 AM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless
Is there any information on the locations,if any, in Baja below Gerrerro Negro to Cabo? Or any outbreaks of drug war violence, gunfights, etc... during this civil war to control the money lines through out Mexico.? Or it it mostly at T.J and northern border providences and main land Mexico?

It's where you find it although the "Plazas" near the border are most hotly contested.
It must be kept in mind that not all violence is directly cartel related. The cartel activities have produced a layer of scum that covers the country. You just have to be vigilant about your surroundings and take nothing for granted.

It would be cathartic if I were able to give advice as would a resident of Wyoming when asked what he would do if caught up in gunfire: "Why..waddaya mean? I'd shoot back."
Old 12-16-10, 11:53 AM   #6
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Well, for us.. we don't worry too much anymore... and if we get caught in a fire fight... the wife gets on the M151 PROTECTOR Remote Weapon Station (seen below) ... and I do the driving ... thus far... no worries...
Attached Images

Old 12-16-10, 01:58 PM   #7
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless
BCS has been eerily tranquil through these times. I recall that one of the big cartel honchos was grabbed by a joint US-MX task force whilst luxuriating on his yacht near La Paz. But, by and large, BCS has been quiet.
Old 12-16-10, 02:09 PM   #8
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
..."Why..waddaya mean? I'd shoot back."
Old 12-16-10, 02:22 PM   #9
mycomitan

mycomitan is on a distinguished road

La Paz today coming home on the highway, 3 state police had a new red pickup pulled over and had it all torn apart. This is something you see all the time here, it looks as tho they are trying to nip it in the bud.
Old 12-16-10, 08:22 PM   #10
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Best action to take in a gunfight is to shoot back...........
Attached Images

Old 12-17-10, 01:01 PM   #11
wessongroup

I like that one !!!
Old 12-17-10, 04:31 PM   #12
Marty Cortez

Old 12-17-10, 05:40 PM   #13
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

OK. I'll bite. If one looks around the world at peaceful industrial democracies, you will find that almost with out exception, weapons are banned. Seems to me that the US is just entering puberty on this issue. A civilized society does not need to have guns abounding. Just like the century's long debate about the second amendment, which is bogus. Way back in the day, when there was no standing army, the thought behind the second amendment was to ensure a militia that could defend our nation. Today, we have the world's pre-eminent military force. Not to mention literally millions of civilian police. But there are those among us who seek to shape the words of the constitution to support the idea that every Tom, Dick, and Harry has the fundamental right to carry lethal weapons.

To me, the entire gun lobby consists of folks who have low self-esteem, and feel the need to have a "Linus blanket".

Untold numbers of murders and maimings occurred only because folks who were not capable of controlling their anger, but had access to lethal weapons, were able to act out.
Old 12-17-10, 06:03 PM   #14
wessongroup

WOW, Googled "peaceful industrial democracies" nada... guess they don't exist... or are classified differently ... maybe by suicide rate... as they don't have any guns in Japan, and their males suicide is going off the deep end...

But, wait a minute, here in the United States we are also seeing a dramatic increase in the suicide rate, but among women... now how about that...

Seems all this grief is just the result of the economic down turn, or so the "experts" report...

But, hey... most homicides investigated are found to be related to what ???

"The pattern that stands out the most is we see a lot of intimate partner violence, mental health problems and substance abuse," said the CDC's Debra Karch, who led the study.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.... and not something that has anything to do with 2nd amendment ... the right to bear arms still makes sense to me... I don't pack in public, but protection of ones self on ones own property inside their own homes.. is still a right.. in my book...

Sure I would rather have trained guys and gals taking care of business for me... with a 911 and all that... but, the what if ..... is something each one has to make a personal decision on... we have the right.. under the law... and it shouldn't change until we all live in one of those "peaceful industrial democracies"

As for going to a gun fight with a knife... you can if you want.. it makes a difference... in the imperfect world... which we reside at this time...
Old 12-19-10, 10:09 AM   #15
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
A civilized society does not need to have guns abounding.
I agree in theory. Another effect of the globalization going on is that crime is going the same way as the economy. When I was a kid back in the sixties in the middle of the civil rights movement I had this dream that the world would be a much more civilized place by this time.

That just didn't work out and the (sad) fact today is this is not a civilized planet (and getting worse). A very good reason to consider arming yourself in some way, as much as I wish that wasn't true.

I would estimate that at the very minimum, 50% of all my neighbors are armed and the real number is probably much higher...

Teniente
This message has been deleted by Teniente. Reason: screwed up
Old 12-19-10, 06:34 PM   #16
Teniente

This says it all.............
Attached Images

Old 12-19-10, 07:27 PM   #17
BajaGringo

Old 12-19-10, 09:51 PM   #18
Teniente

I'll have another Pacifico, please!!!!
Old 12-20-10, 10:04 AM   #19
BajaGringo

What - you take a swig between clips???

Old 12-20-10, 11:04 AM   #20
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

A ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY.
The nut cases that advocate open carry remind me of the school yard bully. I have been in a lot of fights in my life but I was never beaten by anyone that told me they were going to kick my but.and until I moved to MX. I always carried at least one weapon