Off-Grid / Solar, Wind or Generator? When the power lines don't quite reach that far...

Old 03-23-10, 10:23 AM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Which batteries to buy?

Now that I am getting closer to finally having my system put together I am down to the choice in batteries. I had originally planned on going with 6 volt based on the advice of a friend but after somebody suggested the 2 volts I did some research and came up with one I really like:

It's the Trojan L16RE-2V

With a 20 hr rating of 1110 amp-hrs, six of them should get us started. it won't give us everything we need but I figure with a propane fridge and running the washer off the generator we will be okay until I add some more panels and batteries.

I did get a quote from a supplier in San Diego for six of these.

$2062.74 out the door without cores.
Old 03-24-10, 06:51 AM   #2
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Which batteries to buy?

If I was starting over I'd go with the Trojan or Surrette. My neighbor had the Trojans and has had no problems at all. His system is about 5 years old now.

Check this website Trojan Deep Cycle Solar Batteries 6 batteries are $1943.00. The downside is they are in AZ. With the price difference, I wonder if shipping is less expensive that what you'd pay in tax? May be worth looking into.
Old 03-24-10, 10:05 AM   #3
BajaGringo

The $2062 figure is out the door and no core exchanges.
Old 03-24-10, 09:17 PM   #4
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

I think the 2v cells are the way to go. Just my opinion based on tons of reading. I guess the solar pros would know best.
That's a damn good price out the door and by that I assume out the door means tax included.
Old 03-24-10, 09:21 PM   #5
soulpatch

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/catalo...el%20BATTERIES
Old 03-24-10, 09:24 PM   #6
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Check this for a better battery http://www.aitsafe.com/cf/recalc.pht
I get a link with an error???
Old 03-24-10, 09:27 PM   #7
soulpatch

That's because I'm a retard.
Try it again. I think the Surrette is better for the long term but that is an individual choice.
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/catalo...el%20BATTERIES
Old 03-26-10, 05:52 PM   #8
BajaGringo

After giving it some more thought and (almost) getting some free AGM's from a friend before they turned up "missing" from his warehouse we decided on going with our plan C.

We bought six, 12v heavy duty commercial marine batteries. Not to be messed with by those with bad backs or weak rear springs on your car/truck. These six batteries together weigh in at almost a thousand pounds but the strong upside is that together they provide a 20 hour rating of 1500 amps. The best news is that out the door they cost me just a few fish tacos over $900 USD and that leaves me a lot of extra cash this month to buy some more solar panels.

Probably not a good bet for those with space constraints either as they are large sized 8D batteries - 10X11X21".

The batteries we purchased came with the L shaped posts which are much nicer for bolting on the cables. I also picked up a bunch of 18" 2 AWG connecting cables in red and black. Should make a nice, clean setup with minimum loss.

Old 03-27-10, 09:25 AM   #9
soulpatch

Damn, sounds like a good deal. I wonder what others experience with those type of batteries are in a solar system.
Old 03-27-10, 11:17 AM   #10
BajaGringo

Last summer I saw the exact same batteries in a solar setup on a ranch in the hills SE of El Rosario. They have logged almost five years on them with no loss in performance so far they tell me. One of the benefits of the heavy duty commercial marine batteries is that they are designed for abuse and are constructed with heavier frames and plates so they stand up to long term deep charging as well.

Ask me again in a couple of years...

Old 05-17-10, 08:23 PM   #11
bajablawndi

bajablawndi is on a distinguished road

Check out Crown Batteries before you buy anything...a 1000 amp hr rack will cost you around $800. I put them new 5 years ago- they're still in perfect condition- but I'm an engineer and really baby them. Remember that batteries seldom die of old age- they're usally murdered.

Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Now that I am getting closer to finally having my system put together I am down to the choice in batteries. I had originally planned on going with 6 volt based on the advice of a friend but after somebody suggested the 2 volts I did some research and came up with one I really like:

It's the Trojan L16RE-2V

With a 20 hr rating of 1110 amp-hrs, six of them should get us started. it won't give us everything we need but I figure with a propane fridge and running the washer off the generator we will be okay until I add some more panels and batteries.

I did get a quote from a supplier in San Diego for six of these.

$2062.74 out the door without cores.