Baja Stories - Writers Corner Contributions from Our Forum Members

Old 04-15-10, 01:46 PM   #1
Osprey

Osprey is on a distinguished road

Default Baja Nature

Nature and Baja Math

The new marina project between our village and beach has changed the habitat here for lots of creatures; birds are probably affected more than most other animals. All the scrub and trees around the water courses are long gone. So lots of birds have moved off to find scrub deserts near fresh water. The ones who stuck around are now coming up the hill and into the village – lots of Cardinals, Pyrrhuloxia, Phainopepla and wrens we haven’t seen up here before.

Now that spring is upon us I have installed a nice bird feeder and some nectar feeders for our new visitors. The nectar is not a wallet buster but they are going through the more costly (20 pesos a kilo) dry seeds and scratch at an incredible rate.

It took the birds a while to learn about my feeders – the hummers are just now making my house part of their regular morning rounds. My cat is even less attentive than me and is just now noticing the new flyers.

Just when I was starting to think about the household budget, the price of cat food, bird food, the magic of Baja burst forth to surprise me. The cat is beginning to catch and eat the birds. Wow, think about that! I can cut down on bird seed, AND cat food at the same time. In fact I could cut way down on the cat food, buy more seed --- or the other way around. Mother nature takes care of everything in Baja if you just pay attention, help her along when you can.
Old 04-15-10, 06:32 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Baja Nature

Nature always finds it own balance....

Old 04-17-10, 11:21 AM   #3
La Guera

La Guera is on a distinguished road

If the feeders end up attracting larger birds of prey that Baja nature cycle might work going the other way with your kitties being the next meal. A neighbor lost a puppy that way to a hawk years ago.
Old 04-17-10, 11:36 AM   #4
Osprey

Osprey is on a distinguished road

Life is a circle even in Baja Sur. Some mountain lion might have eaten the hawk that ate the kitty that ate..........

So your friend might have inadvertantly started a lion feeder in the yard. More magical, mystical and inexplicable every day.
Old 04-17-10, 07:49 PM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

And think of the size of the beast that might eat that puma???