Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 06-25-09, 06:21 AM   #1
Barbareno

Barbareno is on a distinguished road

Default Pleased to meet you

Thanks again for the welcome Ron. I will probably be doing more reading and lurking then posting here.

Tim and I started our love of Baja in the early 90's when we would fly to Cabo. Did all the touristy things and found that we would much rather rent a car and explore the country side then dancing on tables at Squid Row. We liked what we saw as we traveled north.

So we decided to get smart and take down the truck and camper and 12 ft tin boat. Oh...we are from the Okanagan Valley in BC Canada. That was a total riot and more our style. First time clam digging and scallop digging. I learn't how to do the chocolata clam shuffle.

Then because of the economy we couldn't make it down again until 2 yrs ago. Searched the net and found Shari from Bahia Asuncion's site. Well that looked perfect for us. Park the Motor Home close to the beach and even fish on shore. Thought she was spoofing us when she said we could land a Halibut from shore.

So now we are hooked. Well Tim is obsessed. It's in his blood. Now with the help of your site and others we will get idea's on how to retire there and just enjoy. We are still fairly young. 50ish. Tiny steps.

Now to get back and explore your site...........Barb
Old 06-25-09, 07:49 AM   #2
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Pleased to meet you

Howdy in the future neighbors.

Really happy to see you and Tim here. Pictures are REAL easy to upload here, so give it a try---you have some great ones and I know you like to share them!

Look forward to seeing both of you soon.

Diane
Old 06-25-09, 08:56 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Barb, it's great to have and Tim both onboard - sounds like you have the right attitude and wish you both a lot of success in finding your Baja dream. I have made a promise to make it down to Bahia Asuncion very soon.

Maybe our paths will cross there...

Bienvenidos!

Old 06-25-09, 09:02 AM   #4
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

Howdy neighbor in the north!
BajaNuts2, Bajanuts0.5 and I (BajaNuts1) live in the Methow valley in Okanogan county, WA. 2 spellings of the same name, for those who noticed. Canada is Okanagan and Washington is Okanogan.
Anyway, Greetings
Ann

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 06-25-09, 03:22 PM   #5
Toneart

Toneart is on a distinguished road

Hello All.

I just joined today after receiving an invitation. I will set up my profile later and begin to post. In the meantime I will lurk, just to get the real feel of the board. I have read all the FAQs and Guidelines.

I live in two places: Mulege, Baja Sur in the winter and spring. Nevada City, CA, in the Northern California foothills, above the snowline, in the summer and fall.

Ron, congratulations on this new endeavor. You have always made sense to me. It certainly looks like a refreshing change from an older established forum which has been spoiled by a few agitators. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I look forward to contributing constructive, hopefully interesting and/or helpful postings.

Tony
Old 06-25-09, 07:08 PM   #6
BajaGringo

Tony, it is an honor to have you onboard and I really look forward to your participation...

Welcome!
Old 06-26-09, 05:26 AM   #7
Barbareno

Hey Diane....I will for sure try and post pictures here. Your probably have seen them all already. And I will try my hand at an avatar as well. I have to go fishing this weekend so it will have to wait.

Ann, nice to meet you. I am the worst smeller that is why I usually say I am from the OK Valley.

Barb
Old 06-26-09, 08:28 AM   #8
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Hi Board!

I also accepted an invitation to join. Glad I did. Agree with toneart that Bajagringo has done a very nice job.

Me? Many of you know me from another board. I'm retired, full time in Baja Sur and enjoy it very much. It's getting too warm to work in my garden, my TV died, and my Kindle account is starting to look like California's debt. Not sure I can learn to fish, but it may be time this late in life to give it a try; after my morning coffee, reading your posts, enjoying your photos, and trying to behave myself.

dusty
Old 06-26-09, 02:19 PM   #9
GolferExpat

GolferExpat is on a distinguished road

Welcome to you both! My wife and I are looking to retire in baja in the near future as well. These sites have been a HUGE help to us when doing our research and while we are north of the border lol. I have also found some great publications (free) that have helped us to keep up on the news and the updates while we are in the states... a couple that I prefer:
Destinos Magazine
Baja Magazine

I am an old print guy so sometimes I prefer that to this internet stuff haha.

Happy hunting!
Old 06-26-09, 02:35 PM   #10
Diver

Diver is on a distinguished road

Hi Barb and everyone.
I am here too !!

I promise to be good even if Diana starts talking down my sushi and lets her dogs fertilize my yard !!

Maybe I'll even finally post the finale to our "stranded" trip report !!!
My main conclusion is to bring a code reader and laptop with Ford programs with me to Baja next time. And to keep FDT and Diana's phone numbers handy !!
They were both the BOMB !!!!

Seems like a nice place, thanks for inviting me.
Old 06-26-09, 03:00 PM   #11
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
Hi Barb and everyone.
I am here too !!

I promise to be good even if Diana starts talking down my sushi and lets her dogs fertilize my yard !!

Maybe I'll even finally post the finale to our "stranded" trip report !!!
My main conclusion is to bring a code reader and laptop with Ford programs with me to Baja next time. And to keep FDT and Diana's phone numbers handy !!
They were both the BOMB !!!!

It really is good to see you here---hope you start a new introduction thread and stick around,

And now that you are here, well soon, soon, we will discuss the sushi,

And you will be good----these moderators will see to that :ban::ban:

But hey, our dogs just like to check out your property. They are keeping it well taken care of so your dogs will have lots of good smells to keep them busy.
Old 06-26-09, 03:56 PM   #12
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver
I am here too !!

Hi there, Diver....I didn't see you sneak in here. Good to see you here.
Old 06-27-09, 12:10 AM   #13
BajaGringo

Glad to see so many friendly faces here. We are happy to see you all aboard.

Enjoy!
Old 06-27-09, 06:53 AM   #14
skipjack joe

skipjack joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbareno

So we decided to get smart and take down the truck and camper and 12 ft tin boat. Oh...we are from the Okanagan Valley in BC Canada.
Alex and I discovered Okanagan about 2 years ago. What gorgeous country !!! That was in July, though. The trout fishing was so good .... nothing in california to even compare it too. Tim must really love it there. It's truly an outdoorsman's paradise. We simply drove from lake to lake on logging roads and hardly met anyone.

Tim should recognize the fly in the trout's mouth: the Tom Thumb. It was created in your area to imitate adult sedges.

Yes the float tube looks flat. It kept losing air and he had to paddle back to sure now and then to inflate it back up. It doesn't take a lot of air to float a 60 lber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	okanagan.jpg

Views:	67

Size:	75.3 KB

ID:	761   Click image for larger version

Name:	okanagan_trout.jpg

Views:	66

Size:	86.0 KB

ID:	762  
Old 02-06-10, 06:37 AM   #15
Barbareno

Well I am back. Been awhile since my last visit and thought I had better say hi here before posting on the other threads. Don't want ya thinking I'm a troll.

I see that I can get The Best How To Book On Moving To Mexico from Amazon Canada so I can order that this morning.

I may not say too much as I will be reading here for the most part. But questions will arise I am sure. Some things I need to read over and over just to get it.

Right now I have a kabillion things going on in my brain. Last night I told Tim (hubby) we are not talking about our move to Baja tonight, my head is ready to explode. It was real tough.
Old 02-06-10, 07:04 AM   #16
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

The planning stages can be a lot of But once you get 'a move on (pun intentional!) it's 99%
Old 02-06-10, 07:14 AM   #17
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Barbareno, I new too this board also.. just talk a lot... hope all is good ..

Skipjack.. Did not see those pictures.. now that is the way to go trout fishing.. and what lunkers... at least they are too me.. and I don't imagine they are plants.... there is a difference too me..

Really liked the pictures.. and what you were able to do.. always like following old logging roads.. used to carry a husqvarna chain saw, we had really nice fires....

I've always wanted to go up there, but appears not this time around, so thanks very much for sharing.. believe it or not, I can remember being that age and catching trout .. got me hook a long, long time ago.. was lucky to fish the Sierras back in the late 40' and 50's.. and hike the John Muir trail also in that time period.. you did not see anyone.. we once saw one fella buy himself in two weeks.. he was hiking the entire trail all by his lonesome.. never forgot the guy.. about 23 which was older than dirt to me at that time... I was 11 or 12.. we had hike over Bishop Pass and back on down to the Muir trail, and camped for a couple of weeks, fishing for Golden Trout.. and were catching too.. great times.. again thanks..

Can see make of the truck, but what kind of camper do you have on the back? looks like a pop up and working pretty good for that narrow road, just hate having something that pretty... would always buy something all beat up.. that way it did hurt so much when I got a rock into the side or what ever.. 3/4 Dodge with a very simple camper shell.. just did not like unloading then reloading, but it slept well, was out of the wet and wind.. so we were good to go.. you just brought back a lot of memories..

This is not a high jack.. Just the ramblings of an old man at 6 drinking his first cup of coffee..

Legs, you have the eye's of an eagle... we need more like you

And again Barbareno, welcome to Talk Baja

Last edited by wessongroup; 02-06-10 at 07:24 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 02-06-10, 08:12 AM   #18
Barbareno

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
The planning stages can be a lot of But once you get 'a move on (pun intentional!) it's 99%
A couple years back I did just that.... the chicken. We were planning our first trip south in the Motor Home. Had been away from Baja for years. I had been on the PC for a few hours getting all excited. I got up from my chair and started feeling a little funny, mentioned it to Tim. Next thing I know I am waking up and Tim has his arms around me and I am shaking like crazy. "What happened"? Make a long story short my family doctor figured I had some kind of stroke. Had to go through a whole whack of tests. When I finally got to see the neorsugion (brain doctor) he look rather annoyed at me. He asked what I was doing prior to the chicken dance. So I told him the story about lack of sleep, no food night before, drinking a gallon of coffee and getting all pumped up. "You didn't have no stroke, you FAINTED"! So now I must remember to breath when reading about Baja.
Old 02-06-10, 10:36 AM   #19
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Wow! That is commitment to your excitement! I am glad that one had a positive outcome.
My wife and I are jonesing hard to get to baja on a permanent basis.
I think I need to do away with daily calendars so I don't count so much.
Old 02-06-10, 04:12 PM   #20
ELINVESTIG8R

ELINVESTIG8R is on a distinguished road

BARBARENO