Staying Safe in Baja Good information and common sense...

Old 05-17-10, 12:41 PM   #1
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Default Yet Another SCAM/Scoping Out

Yet Another SCAM/Scoping Out
From a Friend...........
You might want to send this warning out to those you know.

I have recently had two very odd telephone calls that I think might be a scam that I stopped before it went far. The first was a phone call from a man who spoke English and identified himself as "Mike" when asked and seemed surprised I didn't recognize his voice. He adressed me by my first name. Said he was on his way and was at the Arizona border and would call when he got closer. The connection was bad and I don't know any "Mike" nor was I expecting anyone by that name. I was very gruff and hostile on the phone and hung up. He didn't call back but I had the impression he was going to call again and ask for directions. I specifically was not tentative and showed myself ad not a good mark.

The next call was this morning, in Spanish. He had a long spiel in Spanish and after I yelled back in Spanish "whose speaking" he said he was in San Diego and was coming with my nephew. I growled that I didn't have a nephew and he hung up. If it was a relative, they would have called back and laughed at me for being cranky, I can deal with that.

My impression is that this is a scam going through the phone book looking for non-Mexican names to get information - addresses, who is home, how old or tentative the person is, whatever.

My suggestion is that anyone receiving an unknown telephone not give out any information over the phone, be as hostile, rude and gruff as possible - show you are not an easy mark, don't offer any help. If they continue to try and scam by saying they are with a relative, ask to speak to the realtive, then ask the caller to spell their name, the name of the relative and give you their telephone number so you can call back after you have given the information to the police for their assistance.

Don't be flustered or give out any of your information. If the call is "real" they will call back.

Many of us have our contact information on our e-mails. When a "forward" is sent, this information is included and goes where we may not want it to go. I am now removing my full name and phone numbers just for this purpose. When forwarding an e-mail, put your list other than the first recipient under Bcc so everyone on your list does not recieve other people's information. This will help keep a bit of privacy.

Don't be scammed, keep your personal information to yourself
Old 05-17-10, 12:46 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Yet Another SCAM/Scoping Out

How about caller ID. Do you have that?
Old 05-17-10, 01:30 PM   #3
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Not sure if she does or not, as for us we use strictly our Mexican cell phone and WiFi, tried Telnor but they didn't work for us...
Old 05-17-10, 05:27 PM   #4
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

ANYONE calling me to do "business over the phone"... right pal....