General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-28-09, 11:53 AM   #1
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default How much time do you spend in Baja?

I personally believe that our perceptions, experiences & viewpoints frequently differ based on the amount of time we spend in Baja. Curious about the differences in how much time everyone actually gets to spend here.

Edit:

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 06-28-09 at 12:31 PM. Reason: To add some personality!!
Old 06-28-09, 12:13 PM   #2
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How much time do you spend in Baja?

If you do not live in Baja at least 6 months out of the year then it does not matter how many GBs of photos and maps you have on your computer.

A weekender is a weekender no matter how you say it and simply does not have the knowlage and understanding that living in Baja gives you.

Learning from a book is good.
Learning from experence is better.
DianaT
This message has been deleted by DianaT.
Old 06-28-09, 12:55 PM   #3
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

I'm a full timer and loving it. I visit the US periodically to see my elderly mom, who can't travel, but otherwise there's no reason to go there. It would be fun to visit other parts of Mexico at some point, but for now I'm enjoying the luxury of mostly staying put. Air travel is excruciating these days, and I'm not a big fan of long-distance driving. Ask Longlegs!

My first trip here was in 2005, and I bought my house the same year, so I really can't say much about changes or what it's like to be a visitor, but it's a wonderful place to live. I think having been an expat for most of my adult life made it easier to feel at home and to accept most things as they are.
Old 07-01-09, 07:00 PM   #4
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Been so busy trying to become a full timer I missed this post. We currently spend about 2 1/2 months a year, but soon to be permanent. Ok...gotta go... lots to do, you'd think retiring would be fun but it's a lot of work!!
Old 07-01-09, 07:25 PM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

The fun AND the work will both increase proportionally from here on out!! But it separates the wusses from those who come from sturdy pioneer stock!! You & Ola are doing everything the smart way!! You'll flourish!
Old 07-02-09, 04:34 AM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Research, on the ground investigation, honest evaluation and planning will go a looooong way to making your Baja retirement happen as well as save you money and avoid a lot of oh $#!%!$ along the way.

I can't stress enough how important I believe it is to spend some time living somewhere you are considering for retirement as a renter BEFORE buying. Dream vacation destinations do not always translate into dream retirement destinations...

YMMV
Old 07-02-09, 07:48 AM   #7
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat
If you do not live in Baja at least 6 months out of the year then it does not matter how many GBs of photos and maps you have on your computer.

A weekender is a weekender no matter how you say it and simply does not have the knowlage and understanding that living in Baja gives you.

Learning from a book is good.
Learning from experence is better.
Living there would make you an expert on just that.... living there. Unless you get out and travel the peninsula and see as much as you can, you can't be a good source of information on those other places... as you say, "experience is better".

I live and work in a defined area... and don't travel all over California too much. Someone could come here from Australia, travel the state and be a better 'expert' of California travel than someone who lives here. What is great about the Internet is that we can get fresh reports all year long on conditions and places in Baja.

Half the fun of visiting the exotic places in Baja is writing the trip reports and the photo web pages that come from them... at least for me!
Old 07-02-09, 08:31 AM   #8
bajalou

bajalou is on a distinguished road

I agree with David on the resident vs the traveler. I've lived in baja 13 years and know the area near my place pretty well, but have only done a little traveling to other baja areas., Someone coming to Baja for a limited time usually sees and enjoys experiences in a wide variety of places.

I've often thought how these "Vacationers" and "Weekenders" have a much broader knowledge of the peninsula than I havd.
Old 07-02-09, 09:11 AM   #9
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Live full time in Baja for 4 years, now. Violated most recommendations, which, in retrospect, are good ones. Moved on impulse and adjusted. My personal opinion is that Baja is so varied it can fulfill a wide range of expectations.
Old 07-07-09, 03:11 PM   #10
BajaBrit

BajaBrit is on a distinguished road

We spend a mere 3 weeks a year in Baja.

This is mainly because we both work full time plus there is the expense of getting there from the UK.

Oh and its a long boring journey!

Eventually we hope to become full timers.

As you were.
Old 07-07-09, 05:21 PM   #11
Paulina

Paulina is on a distinguished road

We spend every school holiday in Baja, plus the summer. (this summer my daughter had to attend summer school, so we're a bit delayed in our departure).

Dern attends the Score races and makes honey-do runs as well.

We did have the opportunity to live there for a year and loved it. In hindsight we wish we hadn't left. But, we are counting down the days till we can return - for good.

P<*)))>{
Old 07-08-09, 03:03 PM   #12
BajaDove

BajaDove is on a distinguished road

Try as we may we only manage 50 to 51 weeks a year over the last 15yrs.
We find people constantly want to buy on the beach and then complain about the boom boom on Saturday night. We say if you can't handle one night a week and Easter Week stay away from the beach.
Mexico is a cool place to be warm.
Old 07-08-09, 09:50 PM   #13
BajaGringo

Keep trying, you will find a way to be able to make it 365 days a year...

Old 08-04-09, 06:00 PM   #14
LIG

LIG is on a distinguished road

Confused Re: How much time do you spend in Baja?

I have been on vacation in B.C.S. for 2 weeks a year for the last 3 years. I enjoy it so much that I made the plunge this year and bought a house. I am returning in September for the final signing. Buying the house in Cabo really gave me a buzz; I am anxious to get back. I have 2 months vacation a year and I plan to spend most of them in Cabos. My wife and I have seen most of the world...twice. I am tired of dealing with hotel crowds. We thought our own place in Mexico would be very relaxing.

I have posted several questions on Talk Baja since everything is new to me. Probably all my questions have already been answered in the archives.

Lots of stuff to deal with: water, phone, internet, visas, getting a car, some construction, etc. Got to learn Spanish!

Hope to pick the brains of the seasoned veterans!
Old 08-04-09, 09:31 PM   #15
BajaGringo

Hope we can be of help and look forward to hearing your Baja story unfold here as well...