General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 09-02-10, 11:31 AM   #1
mllk3rd

mllk3rd is on a distinguished road

Default Boost Mobile

Hello, so I'm going to the Rosarito area and wanted to know if anyone has experience with Boost Mobile cell service or PTT in the area, does it work and if so how far south?
Thanks
Old 09-02-10, 12:19 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Boost Mobile

Boost Mobile / Nextel works great all the way down to south of Ensenada. Lots of folks down here use it for the PTT across the border...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-05-10, 10:01 AM   #3
mllk3rd

mllk3rd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help, now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for cell service in the area as I don't think the cell feature on Boost Mobile will work. How about Onstar in my car, will that work?
Old 09-05-10, 10:26 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

There is no good answer for cell service from the US to a US based cell phone in Mexico without spending some cash as you will be charged long distance roaming. You are charged even if you don't answer the call if you have the phone turned on.

A better option IMHO is to simply pick up a pay as you go cell phone down here. They are quite cheap and then just give that number to any contacts you have north of the border who may need to reach you.

There are lots of options for US based cell phones to make low cost calls to Mexican cell phones and in the end is a much more cost effective option...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-05-10, 03:11 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Just my 2 cents.. I'm don't work, I'm retired.. so phones are not a big thing for me at all.. only for emergency .... used to turn my cell phone off when working too.. and return calls at 3 to 4 am in the morning so I did not have to have long conversations ... the calls were to a large degree a nuisance from my perspective..

They always came down to: How much, how long, and I want it tomorrow... and can I get a discount...

I use iChat and have added on a Magic Jack.. last night was reading the horror stories about the Company and it's service...

I have had it one month.. and can work through most of the just "terrible" issues which were found with the service...

I'm on my computer most all the time.. so it works for me...

And IF I were outside fishing, surfing, hiking and/or doing other fun things.. the last thing I want stuck in my ear I a gwadamn cell phone...

The last person I literally bumped into at Green Thumb Nursery in Lake Forest... was a lady who was standing in the middle of the main aisle YAKING about her neighbors poor house keeping.. I told her to get the hell out of my way, and to shut up and get of the stupid phone...

As you can see, I don't find the need for this type of conversation and most all.. in areas used by the public...necessary AT ALL ... if you're an emergency responder and/or associated with life or death situations... can see the need.. most is a bunch of YAKING.. about not too much..

And talking on one driving.. is another I do not appreciate at all... if it is so important pull over and take notes... LE and others trained to handle this situation of course are exempt

Have a good day...
Old 09-06-10, 08:02 PM   #6
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

We have inexpensive Nokia Movistar cell phones (think they cost us $23USD each) while we are in Baja. Purchase $200 pesos of time at any Movistar phone store. Our calling plan lets us call the US for about 15 pesos for 20 minutes of time.
Old 09-07-10, 08:39 AM   #7
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

I live out near La Bufadora. when I first moved here I still had a few things in the U.S. going on that were in the wrappin up stages I had a BOOST phone that I used here. Worked quite well except for the charges when it went through the Mexican Tower it was very expensive.