Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 11-09-10, 08:41 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Nearly 4,500 stranded on cruise ship off Mexico (AP)

AP - Nearly 4,500 passengers and crew on a seven-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera were stranded off the coast of Mexico after an engine room fire cut power to their ship. Tugboats and an aircraft carrier were headed out to help Tuesday.

More...
Old 11-09-10, 12:15 PM   #2
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Nearly 4,500 stranded on cruise ship off Mexico (AP)

Between this and the missle that no one seems to fess up to.....

"It's a helluva day at sea, sir".( Overboard)
Old 11-09-10, 03:09 PM   #3
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

The ship fire was a plot concocted by the Ensenada chamber of commerce!
That ship was not schedule to call on Ensenada.
Old 11-09-10, 07:37 PM   #4
dusty

Old 11-10-10, 03:00 PM   #5
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
The ship fire was a plot concocted by the Ensenada chamber of commerce!
That ship was not schedule to call on Ensenada.
I guess the plot didnt work. Last heard on the news since they added a second Tug they are making better than expected time so they are heading for San Diego. Can you immagine the cluster fu---- if it had came to Ensenada.
Old 11-11-10, 09:03 AM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I heard on the news yesterday that the passengers are all really ticked off. The ship has cut off cell phone communications and internet access in an attempt to keep them from "spreading the word" but a few seem to have been able to get a message out...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 11-11-10, 09:34 AM   #7
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

A few years back I read an story about a cruise by the late David Foster Wallace entitled "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again". I'd bet that many of the Splendor passengers are thinking along those lines right about now.
Old 11-11-10, 10:33 AM   #8
dusty

I'd have cut off the cell service just to keep some of those that are undoubtedly litigious from "lawyering up". The Drama Kings and Queens will have a field day with the awaiting media.
. They're safe, they get a free refund and a free cruise.

The news said this morning they opened the bars.
Ya carry a deck of cards, find some folks who play bridge or poker( and use deodorant) and , stay slightly three sheets to the wind and laugh a lot.

Before they moved to Long Beach and we moved here,, these Carnival Behemoths of Luxury used to sail right by our house. Hot water or not, there are lots worse places to have a vacation go awry, lots worse.
Old 11-11-10, 12:54 PM   #9
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
Ya carry a deck of cards, find some folks who play bridge or poker( and use deodorant) and , stay slightly three sheets to the wind and laugh a lot.
Isn't that what people are supposed to do on a cruise, even without anything going wrong?

A passenger in one article I read had the right attitude. He referred to it as a "diet cruise", maybe before they got the Spam and Pop Tarts. I'm with you, though. The company is doing about all they can possibly do, and the passengers will have a great story to tell their grandkids.
Old 11-11-10, 01:56 PM   #10
dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Isn't that what people are supposed to do on a cruise, even without anything going wrong?

Good point!

I saw one man in San Diego who was waiting for his newly married son and daughter and law to disembark...think they had much trouble passng the time?

Bet there will be quite a few "pop tarts" in nine months.
Old 11-11-10, 05:04 PM   #11
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
I guess the plot didnt work. Last heard on the news since they added a second Tug they are making better than expected time so they are heading for San Diego. Can you immagine the cluster fu---- if it had came to Ensenada.
I would have paid good money to see a video of it....

never even considered the true scope of 4,000 people getting off the "boat"... someone posted there is a newer one that will carry 6,000 .... now that sounds really relaxing ... and romantic.. going on a vacation with a few thousand other folks .... wow, I'm really old

Last edited by wessongroup; 11-11-10 at 05:07 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 11-11-10, 05:20 PM   #12
J.P.

Some folks we know invited us on a cruise coming up soon.Thats not our cup of tea. After this fiasco I dont have any desire to ever get on one of the things. can you just imagine one of those bemouths out there with out any power in a hurricane strenth storm.
Old 11-12-10, 05:36 AM   #13
dusty

I've done two. Didn't think it would be my cup of tea either. Not on Carnival, each line tends to have a target market. If you know that and choose the line and cruise that is more aligned to what you enjoy, they can really be a wonderful experieince. The lines move the ships to different home ports and do different cruises during the hurricane season, particularly in the Carribean.

Everyone I've ever met says the Alaska and Panama Canal cruises are wonderful. Maybe someday.... have them on my Bucket List.

`
Old 11-12-10, 09:30 AM   #14
J.P.

I know many people that have done the Alaska Cruise they all speak well of it .Like you I May add it to my bucket list, Especially if they would stake PALIN to a ICEBURG for all to see.
Old 11-12-10, 10:02 AM   #15
dusty

Now, Now, that's not nice...aren't stakes more appropriate for witches?
Old 11-12-10, 10:15 AM   #16
J.P.

Yeah stakes are for Witches so maybe they should add Sharon Angle and Christine Odonnel to the mix then you would have the apoprate mix and it would compete with Mt. Rushmore as a Tourist attraction.
Old 11-12-10, 01:56 PM   #17
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
I've done two. Didn't think it would be my cup of tea either. Not on Carnival, each line tends to have a target market. If you know that and choose the line and cruise that is more aligned to what you enjoy, they can really be a wonderful experieince. The lines move the ships to different home ports and do different cruises during the hurricane season, particularly in the Carribean.

Everyone I've ever met says the Alaska and Panama Canal cruises are wonderful. Maybe someday.... have them on my Bucket List.

Since the newer ships are now holding upwards of 6,000 passengers, I have absolutely no interest in such a trip. However, as you note, each line and even within each line, there are choices. For instance, Princess still operates several ships with capacity around 700. I actually took a cruise years ago on a ship holding 425 passengers.

I've taken a number of cruises, to destinations all over. Have to say that my favorite to this day was one that started in Rome, went into the Black Sea, and ended in Athens. We had two stops in Turkey, one in Bulgaria, two in Ukraine, and a couple of Greek Islands.

And, if one can afford it, booking a balcony cabin should be a must.