General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-02-11, 07:57 PM   #1
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

Default heading south in April? advice help needed

Between reading Mike's adventure and all the other Nomad's winter visits I am ready to start planning my Spring Break vacation south of here. I have from April 9th thru 24th off and should be tired of skiing by then so I am asking for help from the knowledge that gathers here. Is this a bad time to go? I also have the entire summer off but it sure gets hot. I also get two weeks off in October is that a better time to go?

So here is the criteria
husband is going to want to surf
I want to check out Bahia Asucion (been wanting to stay in that stone room since the pics were posted last year on BN) and hopefully see some whales
Would like to get some warm weather
Do not want to be overwhelmed by crowds due to Semana Santa (went to Sayalitas last year and could barely move)

We do have a great camper with F350 4X4, I am okay with some camping but will want to stay in B&B's or we can take our X Tierra that is also 4x4

So please throw out your ideas of places we can go and please share you thoughts about the best time. between April, summer or October. Winter is not an option for us.

Thanks
Lori
Old 01-02-11, 08:16 PM   #2
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: heading south in April? advice help needed

For surfing, most of the Pacific side can, and probably will be cold and windy toward the middle/end of April through May. April is a great time for the East Cape though. Water is warmer, weather's not too hot and there can be some good south swells there in April. October would be a better time for weather on the Pacific side.
Old 01-02-11, 08:36 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Wooo. Semana Santa is not a good time to be driving down here or looking for some "quiet time" on a "lonely beach". Early fall on the Pacific is a good time to find warm weather/water and fewer compet... er, people.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-02-11, 10:58 PM   #4
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

April is a great time to explore Baja's deserts and avoid the popular beaches... during Semana Santa.

The only hazard in the desert in April is rattlesnakes... so watch your step closely.

I have lots of non-beach ideas on my 'self guided tours' web pages of photos: http://vivabaja.com/tours

The missions are fascinating, specially when you think how far from civilization they were... and they walked to get places! See http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions for all the missions and their locations.

If you do want to check out beaches... hopefully you have a 4WD so you can get away from the crowds... I am not a surfer, so not sure if April has a north swell or south swell... but the Seven Sisters are more remote than most breaks in Baja Norte and a paved road does go to Santa Rosalillita with a graded road going north from there to other surf breaks for many miles. In Baja Sur, Bahia Asuncion to Punta Abreojos face south, but they both have paved roads to them now. Scorpion Bay (San Juanico) is pretty popular, further south. Closer to La Paz, but on the Pacific is Punta Conejo... I camped out there in 1985, and some Mexican surfers from La Paz were already working it there.

Probably too late for the Gray Whales, but lots of others may be seen swimming off the coast. I do recommend a visit to Bahia de los Angeles... Lot's of details at Bahia de los Angeles Information Site

Have a great time!
Old 01-03-11, 10:50 AM   #5
BajaGringo

The desert would be a good trip for April - great suggestion...

Old 01-03-11, 05:43 PM   #6
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Kinda too bad that you will be traveling after whale season, inasmuch as two of the most enchanting boutique hotels in Baja are located in San Ignacio. I speak of Casa Leree, and San Ignacio Springs. Another very comfortable boutique hotel can be found in the San Quintin area. Hotel Jardines de Baja.

Woo is correct. It will be chilly on the Pacific side. You may wish to check out some lodgings in Los Barilles.
Old 01-03-11, 08:51 PM   #7
McFez

McFez is on a distinguished road

Bahia de los Angeles
The best keep secret of Baja.

Just driving down the road to this wonderland by the sea, is a site to see!
There is no surfing though. The town is great. Rusty and yet it does have all you want.
Campsite we us a lot is campdaggetts.com There is a small motel there too. One can find a panga with ease. Great sandy beach. We also use villabahia.com that has free kayak use, great outdoor fire pit and bar...even has a library. The owners are extremely nice. Fair priced.

You'll find clamming to fishing, hiking to quads, snorkeling to scuba. BTW villa bahia has all you need for scuba. One cannot possibly explore all of Bahia de los Angeles !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baja06_095.jpg

Views:	77

Size:	102.5 KB

ID:	2313  
Attached Images

Old 01-03-11, 11:36 PM   #8
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Any time in Baja is OK with me. You only need to navigate your way depending on the elements. Hahahaha
Old 01-04-11, 06:27 PM   #9
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice

We are going to postpone our trip to Bahia Asucion till October
so the desert and Seas of Cortez side will be our focus.
The Missions are really intriguing to me and I think I am going to be asking for more details as we get closer. I have gone to all the California Missions so it would make sense to cover the Baja ones as well.
Once again you guys are amazing with the info you are so willing to share!
Old 01-04-11, 08:56 PM   #10
McFez

In that case......
Gonzaga bay is great too.

Limited resources but not a big deal. Always been gas, a great little motel, restaurant that is yum yum and will prepare your daily catch of fish . Market out there too that has all that you need.

Several campsites .....do take a tarp or two, for make shift wind barricades. It gets windy at times at the Sea of Cortez.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	129703889RmLsee_ph.jpg

Views:	74

Size:	88.3 KB

ID:	2320   Click image for larger version

Name:	129705410ejkotJ_ph.jpg

Views:	74

Size:	78.0 KB

ID:	2321  
Attached Images

Old 01-04-11, 09:24 PM   #11
BajaGringo

Great photos!

Old 01-04-11, 09:43 PM   #12
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

October is a GREAT time to go. You will enjoy it just about anywhere you go in Baja during that time period. Just keep and eye on the weather reports for hurricane activity.

Gonzaga Bay from MX-1 via Coco's Corner would be a great side trip!
Old 01-05-11, 11:15 AM   #13
McFez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
October is a GREAT time to go. You will enjoy it just about anywhere you go in Baja during that time period. Just keep and eye on the weather reports for hurricane activity.

Gonzaga Bay from MX-1 via Coco's Corner would be a great side trip!
I agree with you Bob, October is a great time to go. The same goes for San Francisco, if you didnt know that. Bright sunny days!

This past October I was down at the Cortez to to fish, as it is always calm....it was windy all 8 days except for one. I think this weather pattern is really messed up. I now prepare for any sort of weather so I don't sit around counting sea shells in the sand, waiting for the weather to better up.
Old 01-05-11, 11:54 AM   #14
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Did you say "MISSIONS"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipowell
Thanks for all the advice

We are going to postpone our trip to Bahia Asucion till October
so the desert and Seas of Cortez side will be our focus.
The Missions are really intriguing to me and I think I am going to be asking for more details as we get closer. I have gone to all the California Missions so it would make sense to cover the Baja ones as well.
Once again you guys are amazing with the info you are so willing to share!
That is one of my prime interests in Baja (Old California) history! The first successful California mission was Loreto and San Diego was the 19th! Junipero Serra walked from Loreto to San Diego and founded one mission in Baja (San Fernado Velicata) BEFORE he founded the mission at San Diego.

Here starts a brief outline and photos of each Baja mission: http://vivabaja.com/missions1 or http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions
Old 01-06-11, 07:19 AM   #15
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipowell
...husband is going to want to surf
I want to check out Bahia Asunción...like to get some warm...
Abreojos is not far from there, but it won't be real warm in April...