Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 01-08-11, 07:57 PM   #1
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Bad News/Good News

I swear I'm going to ask the vet to do a Natural Instinct-ectomy on Bing!! A month ago, the jack rabbit carcass musta been too big to get in through the doggy door....thank you Lord! Two-three weeks ago it was a kangaroo mouse he brought in....LIVE & let loose in the master bath. I shut the bathroom door & only Bing knocked to be let out about 15 minutes later.

This morning I saw a feather by the front door....didn't think anything of it, since there's also a Sun Conure in residence here. Then I noticed fluffy downy little pin feathers in the bathroom....THEN I glanced into the spare room!! Following pic is the Bad News.

I guess the Good News is if I ever buy a fresh killed chicken, Bing's got plenty of plucking experience!

Why, oh why, couldn't I have been blessed with a timid little pansyass indoor kitty?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poor Used To Be Bird!.jpg

Views:	66

Size:	1.59 MB

ID:	2354  
Old 01-08-11, 08:15 PM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Bad News/Good News

You got a good one.... wouldn't complain.. too much...

Nothing better than a good "mouser"... with extended range and appetite

Just keep you dust buster and something to toss over what Super Cat "Bing" doesn't kill and/or eat... judging from the feathers.. doesn't look like he leaves much

A real killer ya got on your hands... and does ok out on his own too...

Plus he share's too ... a rabbit for dinner for two...
Old 01-08-11, 09:08 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

Well, yeah.....I tried that, but when I gave him the vacuum & he just sat there looking up at me with those deceptively innocent blue eyes! His plucking dexterity is obvious better than his equipment operating skills!

Just like a male....always expecting someone to clean up after them! He gets fed very well inside....there is NO need for him to be dining out....especially when he doesn't have the decency to bring his leftovers home in a doggy-bag!
Old 01-08-11, 09:22 PM   #4
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
...saw a feather by the front door....didn't think anything of it...
Old 01-08-11, 09:35 PM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
BECAUSE of the Sun Conure who resides here as well....occasionally he'll lose a feather that escapes his cage & gets blown hither thither & yon! Then, too, there wasn't a body attached to the feather! That was on my way to make coffee....I had more important things on my mind! Admittedly, things are a little lax around here before morning coffee!
Old 01-08-11, 09:48 PM   #6
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
... especially when he doesn't have the decency to bring his leftovers home in a doggy-bag!
I think somebody needs to get out more.
Old 01-08-11, 10:08 PM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Our two siamese have gotten rid of all the mice within a 1/4 mile radius as well as a couple of other varmints we weren't able to identify (not enough left to make a positive ID). Beba is the real hunter in the zoo here having nailed a number of species including several road runners.

They are not going to like it when we finally get the wall finished around the property. The rest of the general wildlife around here will probably throw a party...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-08-11, 11:48 PM   #8
wessongroup

Wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the children..... this is Bear, he is a 6 year old Australian Shepherd .. he like's it cold and quite ... stares a lot.. and doesn't like his picture taken.. got lucky, and caught him off guard...

He's a very good dog, very protective ... but likes it quite ...... stays close to the house...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG

Views:	61

Size:	3.43 MB

ID:	2355  
Old 01-09-11, 02:14 AM   #9
Mexray

Mexray is on a distinguished road

My sister' family has some acreage up in the hills above Sonoma, CA...

She has several cats to help keep the rodents in check, and even has a 'Kitty Door' into their bedroom off the deck that they can close at night to keep the Kitty's from roaming around at night when the Coyotes and Bobcats are on the prowl...

One evening she came into the bedroom to retire for the night, went to pull back the covers, and found a young Rattlesnake, alive and well, that one of the cats had dragged in!

That was then end of the Kitty Door - they let the cats in through the 'People Door' these days...
Old 01-09-11, 06:26 AM   #10
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
They are not going to like it when we finally get the wall finished around the property. The rest of the general wildlife around here will probably throw a party...
Better be very tall and smooth. I have a couple of big ones and some tall fencing, originally to confine/protect the dogs. Not even a challenge for my feline night prowler.
Old 01-09-11, 08:54 AM   #11
longlegsinlapaz

Mexray, BC (before cat), I also had a baby rattler brought in by one of the dogs. Thank GAWD it wasn't alive nor well....actually quite tattered looking when I came across it on the bathroom floor!

Dusty, soooo true about the tall wall....I have a section that's 7' - 8' above ground level inside my property & 9' - 10' from the outside & I've never seen Bing fail to make it to the top first time, every time!

Wessongroup, the doggy door goes into a large enclosed area the dogs can't get out of...for their own protection, as well as I don't let them roam the neighborhood....Maggie'd be in Guadalajara within an hour! There are too many loose dogs around here, not to mention coyotes at night. But I'd have to screen over the top to keep Bing in & he'd find some way out before long!

Kate, how would my getting out more often help? Bing & I don't frequent the same eateries!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BabyDiamondback Rattler (3).jpg

Views:	59

Size:	632.2 KB

ID:	2358  
Old 01-09-11, 09:51 AM   #12
wessongroup

Leg's .... good luck with "Super Cat" that one sounds like he is at home down there ... and what a jump.. has always amazed me when one see animals do things like that... just amazing to me..

How big is he.. how many pounds.. my son has a male cat he calls "Pig Cat" ... that cat is up to around 30 pounds.. and, he is not fat.. but... funny he stays at home too.. has friends come by.. the boys other is Mrs. Rabbit.. skittish little female who will most likely live forever... as she is the smart one.. nothing dangerous at ALL.. keeps to her self and stays away from any kind of danger... a smart cat...

Which is good.. we have had a number of pets killed by getting over the fence and into the world outside ... which has "cars"... gets them every time.. one of Pig Cats friends was coming over to visit just 3 weeks ago and was killed in front of our house .... by a car going to fast and did not even stop to check on the poor guy...

Hope all you guys little critters stay safe... and you too !!! ... Bringing back rattlers would wake me up too..

But, overall sounds like they are "working" the area ..... which is what they do... to bad about all the stray dogs.. that would give concern....
Old 01-09-11, 10:16 AM   #13
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
...we have had a number of pets killed by getting over the fence and into the world outside ... which has "cars"... gets them every time.. one of Pig Cats friends was coming over to visit just 3 weeks ago and was killed in front of our house .... by a car going to fast and did not even stop to check on the poor guy...
So very true. I am very sad to share that we just got word that we have lost our beloved Kobe, a wonderful dog who was killed by a car when he dashed across the road after a varmint in a remote area of Kern County while out running with our son-in-law. In his time up north they always kept him on leash and only let him off due to the area they were in and "almost" no traffic.

I can't tell you how much I loved that dog - we are just crushed. Here is a shot with Kobe and my grandson. He was such a noble animal and will be so missed...

Old 01-09-11, 10:34 AM   #14
wessongroup

Sorry to hear Ron.. can see your feelings for the big guy in the picture

They do get to ya, and when the leave it's hard...

The wife doesn't want another little guy... after we lost Scout to some idiot in the camp driving too fast to see a dog in the street ... and killed him..

Would like another one myself.. he was my little friend .... and spent a lot of time with me in bed... but, the wife says she can't go through it again...

I'm working on getting another... know it won't replace Scout, but there are other little guys out there that need a good home and people who will treat them right... so...

Here is Eddie... found him last night.. the wife has not said a word thus far today... emailed last night
Attached Images

Old 01-09-11, 05:01 PM   #15
longlegsinlapaz

Oh BG, I'm soooooo sorry!!! I apologize for all the joking around I did about your guard dogs! He was a beautiful animal!

(but I'm still not dropping by your place ever....you have others in training!)
Old 01-09-11, 06:50 PM   #16
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear that, Ron.

They speak to somewhere special inside us.

Old 01-09-11, 07:10 PM   #17
BajaGringo

Thanks guys for the very kind words. Kobe truly was a gentle giant. Beba, the female is the one who scares off most of the newcomers. Kobe just always wanted to play.

Heavy hearts around here today...

Old 01-09-11, 08:31 PM   #18
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Oh, no!!!!!
I'm so sorry, Ron. You must all be heartbroken.
Old 01-10-11, 06:04 AM   #19
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry too, BG. It hurts. We will have to bear a similar loss soon, I fear.

I've been like your wife, wesson, saying I can't go through this again. But I do, pets bring so much joy and companionship.
Old 01-10-11, 10:10 AM   #20
bahiafalsa

bahiafalsa is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your loss, Ron. Pets are family and sorely missed when they pass.
Mi mas sentido pesame.