General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 09-06-09, 05:29 AM   #1
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Default Too much news?

I don't know if it's only me, but as I check this site for useful Baja information, or to see what some of the people who I enjoy reading their posts have to say, I find myself wading through a bunch of news reports that really don't interest me. I don't usually have a lot of time to read through the site subject by subject to pick out interesting information, so I use the new posts, or todays post buttons. With so much unrelated news, the Baja posts are getting lost.

Maybe I'm solo here, and most enjoy the news articles, but I'm loosing interest in checking this site, which is unfortunate because it seems to be a much more civilized place.
Old 09-06-09, 06:45 AM   #2
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Too much news?

It's not just you. Some of us raised this concern earlier:
http://www.talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=565
One suggestion was to put the automated news posts in a separate section from the forum so that they wouldn't come up as posts in "Today's Posts".
The news is a good feature to have, but IMO it's distracting when those stories appear among the member-generated discussion threads. Maybe it's coincidence, but it seems to me that there are fewer member contributions since the news robot appeared.
Old 09-06-09, 09:59 AM   #3
Tacho

Tacho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
...One suggestion was to put the automated news posts in a separate section from the forum so that they wouldn't come up as posts in "Today's Posts"...
That would be the best solution.

But then the trolls would say you're covering up the bad news.
Old 09-06-09, 10:42 AM   #4
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacho
That would be the best solution.

But then the trolls would say you're covering up the bad news.
That is the problem I have seen on other sites.
The fanatics on both sides make accucations of only posting the bad news or only posting the good and hiding the bad.

It is a fine line and you can not please everyone.
That is why I gave up trying to please anyone but myself.

I would like to see better filtering of the robot news if that is possible.
Old 09-06-09, 12:24 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I'm a tad cynical, and I certainly cannot read El Jefe's mind. But it seems to me that the news posts serve as much as filler to make it appear there is more activity here. I know many folks came over to this board with the idea that there would be a more civil and courteous exchange of ideas than found on the Nomad board. That's fine. But it's also up to we here to actually post stuff. As I'm writing this, I see there are six members online along with 11 guests. According to the stats at the bottom of the page, there have been just under 5,000 posts since this board opened. And I'm assuming that the news posts count in the tally. Just as a comparison, one thread currently on the Nomad board, dealing with Hurricane Jimena has logged over 3700 posts.

So, while I may not be solving the problem of too many news auto-posts, But I really do think folks, themselves need to become more active on this board.
Old 09-06-09, 06:01 PM   #6
Red Baron

Red Baron is on a distinguished road

I am not that savvy on these things but I would think tweaking the robot to only load certain subject matter will not be easy.

Maybe the mods could just delete anything not directly related to Baja. North or South.
Old 09-07-09, 05:22 PM   #7
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I agree totally with all the anti news robot comments. That's not the type of information I come to this site for & I'd rather not wade through all that crap.

I also strongly agree that the only thing that is going to get this site off the ground will be more individual participation & creating threads. I tried to create threads that would hopefully sustain some longevity over time & be a long-term point to head to research or add new or varying opinion information. That made more sense to me than a bunch of individual threads scattered hither, thither & yon where only multiple searches would be able to find the information.

Come on people!! We have the Mods at this site who are ready willing & able to enforce adherence to the site rules....let's give them a run for their money! Don't allow all BajaGringo's work in creating this site be for naught! Take ownership in the site & help it grow! BajaGringo, hope you don't mind, but I'm selling shares....cheap!
Old 09-07-09, 10:22 PM   #8
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
Come on people!! We have the Mods at this site who are ready willing & able to enforce adherence to the site rules....let's give them a run for their money! Don't allow all BajaGringo's work in creating this site be for naught! Take ownership in the site & help it grow! BajaGringo, hope you don't mind, but I'm selling shares....cheap!
I've got to get retired so I have more time to participate!

I spin through the subjects sometimes at work, but I usually don't have the time to post anything. If I have something to write, it's usually early a.m., or just before bed. Unfortunately I don't have any organized thoughts at either of those times
Old 09-08-09, 05:17 AM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Been traveling folks so sorry if it seemed I wasn't paying attention...

I do agree that the news robot needs some tweaking and so I just made some adjustments to the RSS settings. Let's see how this works out and I do appreciate the comments.
Old 09-08-09, 04:45 PM   #10
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

I noticed this board had been very quiet. I read almost daily, but only post occasionally. We are getting close (6 months???) to moving down to Rosarito and I want to learn as much as I can from all you guys. (Sorry, Longlegs) I think H.Jimena has distrupted so many people that I feel a little silly starting a new thread on every day items when so many were affected by the hurricane.

I enjoy the people, not the automatic news bots. (I do read them )
Old 09-08-09, 05:37 PM   #11
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gointomex
We are getting close (6 months???) to moving down to Rosarito and I want to learn as much as I can from all you guys. (Sorry, Longlegs)
gointomex, I'll think about a little forgiveness....IF you take ownership of a few shares in Talk Baja stock!

1 post = 1 share
1 new thread = 5 shares!

Hurry! Offer for a limited time only, severe penalties may apply on late submittals!
Old 09-08-09, 07:07 PM   #12
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

BajaGringo, this seems MUCH better post-tweaking. Thanks!
Gointomex, I can't imagine that people here will object if you post your everyday questions.
Old 09-08-09, 10:12 PM   #13
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

gointomex,

just ask away, those that can help will give you information, no matter what else is happening.

take it all with a grain of salt...

ask a question....ten people respond with 11 right answers! and in all that is a lot of good information!

allthebest~

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix