Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 03-14-11, 02:39 PM   #1
Margaret&Maggie

Margaret&Maggie is on a distinguished road

Confused Baja Home Wanted

Maggie, the dog (who has to claim me), is 10 months old, 60 + lbs and her name was "Maggie" before we met. My name is Margaret and I'm trying to find us a home. We're not doing very well, stateside, because it is about impossible to find something that will let us eat fresh food, walk to the beach, sleep safely and have utilities on $600 a month SSDI. This is no joke.

My Grams had the same problem (with retirement) and moved to Baja. She came back because of something pressing, got sick and I miss her a lot... and for more reasons than that I never got to ask her how to relocate to Baja myself!

There has to be a way, a long-term rental, a place to call home, someone who has or knows of a place for Maggie&Me. If it's you, or you know of something/someone with something, please drop me a note. We really just don't need much.

Thanks,
M&M
Old 03-14-11, 03:47 PM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Baja Home Wanted

Have you tried checking here?

tijuana apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Would seem that if something catches your eye, the folks on this forum could be very helpful in filling in the background.
Old 03-14-11, 04:18 PM   #3
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Hello Margaret,

Welcome, and thanks for joining the forum.

It would be difficult to think about what might be a good situation/location for you 2 without a few more clues about what would be acceptable for you.

Some areas like Cabo San Lucas are ridiculously expensive. There are a few ladies who post here and live in La Paz who will hopefully chime in shortly. It is an old Mexican city that does have some gringo developments, but is still largely Mexican. Really hot there in the summer, much like the entire Sea of Cortez side.

Moving northward, there are small towns on the Pacific side that are still low cost-of-living, but that comes with limited services and long distances to travel for those that are not available locally. There are some ex-pats here and there in towns like Abreojos and Asuncion.

This lady has been making a go of a Bed and Breakfast, and a considerable number of Americans have their own places there.
Why don't you chat Shari up and see if she might know of some who would welcome somebody to housesit, maybe water a few plants, etc... Of course that need is probably spoken for already but you never know.

Our forum host here BajaGringo has been building a place in San Quintin. It's a medium-sized(for Baja) town with quite a bit of agriculture surrounding it. Climate about like San Diego; some transient crime here and there. I wouldn't wander remote beaches alone in that area.

A few miles north of there Irene runs a nice place called Posada Don Diego; maybe she might have some ideas/recommendations for you.
Quote:
"...rooms for rent...by the day, week, month or by the year if you like. We have discounts too...about 4 hours from San Diego just 180 miles from the boarder. Hey you can even live here if you like. We would like that..." Not on the beach, though: "...surf fishing...3 miles away..."
http://www.posadadondiego.com/IndexE05.html
Check back in a few days and maybe there will be some good ideas for you.
Old 03-14-11, 05:09 PM   #4
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Hi Margaret and welcome to the forum!

I'm one of the "ladies" in La Paz that Marty referenced. The other two are lovely ladies...I think the votes may not all be in for me. Be that as it may, watch for "Kate". She is likely to have a better idea of the options that are available in town. I'm a "country mouse" about 15 minutes outside La Paz.

Both Marty and Howodd have great ideas. If we can find one, a long term house sitting/tiny rent situation would be the most likely option around here. I'll get on the OGN (Old Gals' Network over the next couple of days and see if anyone comes with anything that might be of interest to you. Watch for a "Private Message" one way or the other.

Meanwhile, Best of Luck on your search, you'll find something!
Old 03-14-11, 05:52 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Welcome.. and I know you will find something which will be more than expected... it's all good... enjoy...
Old 03-15-11, 04:12 PM   #6
mycomitan

mycomitan is on a distinguished road

Apartment for rent with beautiful ocean view located in a small surfing
community in the outskirts of Ensenada (Villa San Miguel, Baja California
Mexico) 2 hours south from the San Isidro border crossing and just 15 minutes
from Downtown Ensenada.
The rent is 250 dlls a month plus electric bill.

(small dogs and/or cats ok)

please send email or call

U.S - 504) 7233358 - 619) 733 8764
Mexico-011 52 1 646 1392600, 646 1250114
Old 03-15-11, 04:33 PM   #7
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

WOW.... now I'll have to talk the wife back into coming down again...
Old 03-15-11, 06:36 PM   #8
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dusty, but I know next to nothing about renting.

Margaret, one thing to consider is that you'll save a lot of money on electricity if you don't need AC, so a cooler location farther north or on the Pacific side might be best for you and Maggie. A small town like Bahia Asunción or nearby might work. The place in Ensenada sounds like a good deal, but even $250 plus utilities out of your budget wouldn't leave much for food, transportation, doctor and vet bills, etc. Not to be discouraging, but $600 /mo wouldn't go far in La Paz if you're paying rent out of that. I hope you find something, though!
Old 03-15-11, 06:50 PM   #9
klgeels

klgeels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret&Maggie

Maggie, the dog (who has to claim me), is 10 months old, 60 + lbs and her name was "Maggie" before we met. My name is Margaret and I'm trying to find us a home. We're not doing very well, stateside, because it is about impossible to find something that will let us eat fresh food, walk to the beach, sleep safely and have utilities on $600 a month SSDI. This is no joke.

My Grams had the same problem (with retirement) and moved to Baja. She came back because of something pressing, got sick and I miss her a lot... and for more reasons than that I never got to ask her how to relocate to Baja myself!

There has to be a way, a long-term rental, a place to call home, someone who has or knows of a place for Maggie&Me. If it's you, or you know of something/someone with something, please drop me a note. We really just don't need much.

Thanks,
M&M
I just started renting in October, after having gone to TJ for weekend visits for the past 2 years. It would not be appropriate for me to make recommendations based on how little I know about "how things work."

But the craigslist has a lot of rental options, and if I can answer any questions about how to get from point a to point b, such as sentri, via rapida, physician, things like that, let me know.

Kathy
Old 03-15-11, 07:10 PM   #10
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Margaret, I think I'm most likely one of the other "ladies" of La Paz that Marty was referring to.....I just got back from a 2-week trip north of the border & the morning after I got back my builder had a 5-man work crew here....there is no rest for the wicked! That, combined with the fact that my internet connection has been down more than it's been up for the past month is my excuse for not having chimed in sooner.

I have a few questions....Baja's a looooong peninsula, so you have a lot of territory, life-style choices & climate areas to choose from. Did you have a particular area in mind? Where did Grama live? Did you ever visit her there & did you like the area? Was Grama's income in the ballpark of yours?

I don't know through personal experience, but I've read on several different Baja/Mexico forums that moving outside the USA could have a negative affect on your collecting SSDI. First & foremost, I'd check on whether that rumor is true or not.

As Kate indicated, it's warmer/hotter the further south you come....but in my opinion, it could potentially be a trade-off on electrical usage for heating the further north you go. Then, too, almost anywhere on the Pacific side of the peninsula you'll most likely be looking at windier walks on the beach. So whether or not you tolerate wind well, might be a major consideration in your search criteria. As I expect proximity to quality medical & dental care might be.

If you could share more information about your criteria, I think you'll get more helpful information.

PS I have a Maggie in my household too....but she's closer to 25 pounds!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 03-15-11 at 07:16 PM. Reason: PS
Old 03-15-11, 09:37 PM   #11
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about renting a room from somebody first? Way cheaper than your own place and there are some mega-deals out there if you ask around.
Or have you thought South America or south east Asia? Super cheap. But there are trade-offs.
Small villages might be your best bet but that depends on your needs.
I suggest you write down what are your "can't do without" needs and then find a place based on that.
This is a very simple reply to a wide-open question.
Old 03-17-11, 07:48 AM   #12
Margaret&Maggie

My Goodness!

Okay, I'm going to "get" how to use the board. It'll happen!

Maggie and I are trying to move from the states and I'm getting all this wonderful response! Y'all can't imagine how full my heart is to read all of this. My extreme gratitude to you all.

Renting a room, to start, would be fabulous. The climate does matter because of utility costs. Let's face it, I'm probably pretty poor by any standard. Renting a room would give me a chance to find my way with someone around who can give me some suggestions. I'm quiet and private, but I have a gregarious side and I'm big on volunteering.

We need a place for Maggie to be outside. We need water and dog food. I'm very fond of sea food and I love fresh food, period. We need to be able to drive to our new home. We need to be able to use the internet. We need to be able to get to the market and the beach. We'd like to be able to walk there.

Folks, we just don't need much. I don't mind wind and Maggie would probably want to get as much as possible (she's great pyrenese and retriever). I think of wind as how to keep the air moving, but if it's a cold wind, I might be huddled in front of the fire in a corner.

My Grams was at "Angel Point," I think she called it and I went there a several times. Grams would collect me, we'd go fishing, and then I'd have to go home. The border crossing was TJ. (And a lot simpler) I really didn't get to do much sight-seeing. Grams was pretty protective and she looked like she could take down a raging bull.

I have to say that I loved the food! Not just bonita BBQ'd on the beach, but soups and veggies! My mouth is watering to remember! I've raved about the food in Baja all my life!

House sitting would be very nice and I would love to hear of anything.

Big city v. Village, no contest. I know it won't be "quiet" anywhere, but I like to be able to know all of the shop keepers and neighbors by name. I'm just happy to contribute in any way I can and a smaller community makes what I can do easier to spot. Sometimes, when the pain is serious, I need to be able to close the door and stay still, so knowing my neighbors, they knowing me, reduces the misunderstandings when I have to be alone.

I'm not a big drinker, but I like a few Margaritas once in a while, nice wine on occasion, and even a hot toddie when the days are cold.

One of the things I really hope to be able to do is explore. Ii'm not entirely fearless, but I have an adventurous streak and I love Nature. I am an artist (not trained) and I use what Nature produces to "paint" my works. I'm sure all of my needs will be met that way.

We're pretty much alone in this world but I do have a few very excellent friends in the states, so I can request care packages

Y'all are just wonderful. I'm really hoping to get to our new home sometime in May or early June. Please keep the responses coming! I'm amazed to have found TalkBaja and this great community. I'm looking forward to joining it! I can't wait to see the smiles behind your hearts!

Everything wonderful,
Margret
Old 03-17-11, 09:26 AM   #13
Marty Cortez

"Fresh" food ain't happening in most of the smaller towns/villages because it is trucked in.

Seafood is a different story if you're right on the water.

I think you might mean "Angel's Camp";
2008 BajaNomad thread

which is near La Salina(I believe) about 2/3 of the way to Ensenada on the toll road.

Bernie Swain is a wonderful person, had a place there for many years and probably knew Grams. Why don't you join there and send him a u2u message?
Old 03-17-11, 09:53 AM   #14
Margaret&Maggie

Ahhh,

BajaBound has all of the registrations it can take for 24 hrs! I'm chuckling. I really do hope Bernie Swan remembers Grams!

Y'all can email me directly now. I was being too careful.

I'm tickled,
M&M
Old 03-17-11, 09:59 AM   #15
Margaret&Maggie

I love your "handle!"

Okay, I tried to answer the questions I'm so glad to have someone wonder about. Thanks so much!

Maggie is a rescue who spent most of her life in a kennel slip at the Humane Society in Birmingham. She was adopted and returned twice. She's doing so well now. She's going to be an excellent partner. I'm so fortunate to have her. I bet you feel the same way for the "Maggie" in your life.

Again, I'm trying to figure it all out. Thanks for the response and keeping good thoughts for us.

M&M
Old 03-17-11, 12:08 PM   #16
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
I think you might mean "Angel's Camp";

2008 BajaNomad thread

That was fun. Thanks.
Old 03-17-11, 02:08 PM   #17
Marty Cortez

Quote:
...BajaBound has all of the registrations it can take for 24 hrs
BajaNomad; BajaBound is an insurance company and long-time sponsor of that site. No limit to registrations...
Quote:
I really do hope Bernie Swan Swaim remembers Grams!
Fixed.
Quote:
Y'all can email me directly now. I was being too careful.

I'm tickled,
M&M
It is good to be careful online. There is an ugly history of malevolent individuals who mine both these sites for personal data with which to cyberstalk any and all who have even slightly displeased them.

Don't post your email address unless you want a ton of unwanted spam and harassment. Always send it privately in a Private Message.
Old 03-17-11, 08:31 PM   #18
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Margaret&Maggie, since I'm located over 900 miles south of the location you're hoping to move to, I don't know that area so can't help you with area-specific details, but I can & will toss in generic "stuff" as it occurs to me.

Such as....make sure Maggie's current on all her vaccinations. There are a lot of never-vaccinated street dogs all over Baja which could infect her with a wide range of bad stuff. You're also required to have current health & vaccination records dated....I believe....no more than 5 days before you cross. They not ask to see them at the border, but if you don't have proper paperwork on Maggie & they do ask, you could conceivably be turned back until you get it.
Old 03-18-11, 07:17 AM   #19
Margaret&Maggie

Good Morning,

Thanks for the goodies! The email option is back to "not" and I tried the "1" expecting to get voice mail, 'oops" and I'll call her back at a more reasonable hour! Super. And, could it get much worse that I mis-thought a man's name? Jeeze, c'mon! Thanks for the correction! (The message really did tell me that all the registrations for the day were used up. Honest.)

Yes, Maggie will have all of her shots, We have a clinic in two weeks. I asked my search engine and found this:

"According to the Mexican Consulate, in order to cross over the border into Mexico with pet dogs or cats (and to make sure they return home safely with you!) you will need to carry two main documents throughout your journey:

An International Certificate of Good Health (Form 77-043) issued by a licensed veterinarian (signature must be approved by the State Veterinarian) who has examined your pet and...
Proof of vaccination against rabies and distemper, administered at least 15 days before your pet enters Mexico.
No Consular certification is required. Visit the Mexican Consulate's website for the latest information.

It is also recommended to bring proof of ownership just in case you need it.

Is there any information that MUST be included on the International Certificate that my vet writes for our pet?

Actually, yes. First, make sure that the actual dates of vaccination appear on the health certificate! According to the USDA, your certificate for each pet must...

be presented in duplicate (you should always keep an extra copy!)
clearly state your name and address
include a complete description of your pet (species/age/sex)
state that your pet has been examined and found to be free of all contagious diseases."

So, it's, "at least 15 days." out, according to this and I will look into the Mexican Consulate's website after a bit. If it's different, I'll let it be known. It was very good of you to think of it for me. Thank you.

Okay, back to looking. BTW, I'm really hoping to move in late May or early June. Thanks for the good thoughts for us!

Have an excellent day!
Margaret
Old 03-18-11, 07:38 AM   #20
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
An International Certificate of Good Health (Form 77-043) issued by a licensed veterinarian (signature must be approved by the State Veterinarian) who has examined your pet and...
Proof of vaccination against rabies and distemper, administered at least 15 days before your pet enters Mexico.
It is also recommended to bring proof of ownership just in case you need it.
All of this, shots, certs etc., are available down here as well and you may be wanting to establish a raport for your dog and her new caretaker when you get here. You'll save some money as well.
The proof of ownership, however, is a new one on me. I know there's a "Pink Slip" for cars, but what would be considered proof of ownership for a dog?
I wouldn't be worrying about that one.
I've never been asked for papers on my pooch when entering Mexico and she travels up and back with me every time.
The US, on the other hand, has asked a few times. Be prepaired.

When you get down here, ask here for recommendations for a Vet. There are some really good ones who, unlike in the states, don't feel compelled to charge like a heart surgeon.