Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 03-24-11, 04:52 PM   #1
el payaso

el payaso is on a distinguished road

Default Hola a todos!

Noob here, longtime lurker on Nomads (never posted there cuz, never having been to Baja, figure I don’t have much intelligent to contribute*)(also, I still have all my limbs intact and fear getting em bitten off in that shark pool.... ;- )). I post a lot on the San Carlos forum under Barato. Eventually hope to snowbird it in BCS, currently 3.5 yrs from la jubilacion, but for now wife and i go to Sonora (Kino to San Carlos) as I live in west TX and would rather spend the extra 2 days of my limited govt-employee vacation hours fishing than driving.

Fell in love with Mexico years ago and spend lots of time there; by camping out of back of the Taco de Pescado and living like a panguero, I can fish for 5 days for less net $ than the fish I bring back would cost at store. Gifts for Mexican friends are usually the biggest cost of my trip.... Nothing like solo trips to Mexico and camping with the pangueros to improve your Spanish! And it’s amazing how karma works overtime in Mexico....the kids I’ve befriended at the fish camps have turned out to be great campsite security and have saved my outboard from some ratones on one occasion.

Currently doing the Baja Catch plan out of the 12' portabote but I don’t feel comfortable taking it out more than 7-8 miles so I’m working on two bigger tin boats with the idea of eventually leaving one down there. I do sustainable fishing, through being so incompetent at it that the fish are mainly at risk from dying laughing....there IS a reason the main fishing boat is getting a red clown nose and Eye of Horus. In fact biggest thing I’ve ever caught there wasn’t even a fish but a 4' Humboldt.

Look forward to meeting many on here (and Nomads) and hoisting a beverage with you. I’ll shut up now, both cuz I doubt anyone wants to read a novel and cuz I read the "troll guidelines" and fear Ron will deem me a troll if I say anything nice about anyone.... If anyone will be coming through El Paso and needs a local contact or camping space on the way down, PM me.
Old 03-24-11, 05:19 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hola a todos!

Welcome aboard payaso - look forward to your participation in the forum...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-24-11, 05:21 PM   #3
bahiafalsa

bahiafalsa is on a distinguished road

Bienvenido, Payaso.
Old 03-24-11, 06:15 PM   #4
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

HOLA!
Old 03-24-11, 07:25 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Good to see ya... have fun...
Old 03-24-11, 07:56 PM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Found some possible avatars for you...

Old 03-25-11, 09:11 AM   #7
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

welcome
Old 03-25-11, 11:03 AM   #8
Margaret&Maggie

Margaret&Maggie is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

My huge puppy, Maggie, and I are newbies all the way around and the sharks seem to stay clear of these warm and wonderful waters! I hope your fishing dreams come true! I have a few, too. 'Looking forward to getting as far as Rosarito by early May and the fishing will come soon!

Enjoy!
M&M
Old 03-25-11, 02:14 PM   #9
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Jump right in, Payaso. The water's fine:

Old 03-25-11, 04:37 PM   #10
el payaso

thanx, all.

Dennis, i have a book on salt water fishing from AUS where they have a pic of the bait fish barely visible in the GW's mouth as she swallows the rest. the bait fish is a 150lb shark...........

fortunately the longliners have worked diligently to keep us safe from sharks in the SOC
Old 03-25-11, 04:55 PM   #11
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by el payaso
thanx, all.

fortunately the longliners have worked diligently to keep us safe from sharks in the SOC
Gill netters as well. I used to commercial fish with them many years back and regret it now, but then, no one knew.

We caught a couple of GWs in our nets and it's interesting in a way to see the lack of resistance they show when their nose is barely sticking through the mesh. They just give up and die.
I always assumed that, because they are at the top of their food chain, "fight or flight" hasn't been developed as one of their survival mechanisms.
Their teeth are unbelievably nasty. Lightly touch the tip of one and you draw blood.

Long-Liners suck.
Old 03-25-11, 04:59 PM   #12
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I always assumed that, because they are at the top of their food chain, "fight or flight" hasn't been developed as one of their survival mechanisms.
Reminds me of back in the day on the school yard...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-25-11, 05:05 PM   #13
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Reminds me of back in the day on the school yard...
Yeah...learning that lesson early was a smart thing to do.
Old 04-07-11, 05:35 PM   #14
el payaso

yah, i looked at pics of Darwin's finches, and then at myself (6'4" and 155#, today at age 52), and figured out i was evolved to run away, not to fight....a realization i put to good use growing up as a military brat who moved every year and got used as a punching bag a lot.....

now i just quietly smile to myself whenever i hear some macho macho man i wanna be a macho man asking me if i'm not SCARED to go to Mexico My answer is always the same: the biggest threats to my existence are the Sea of Cortez and Mexico 2 (like MX1 but through the Sierra Madre)