Baja Kitchen & Bar Recipes Kahlua, Cactus, Tequila, Hot Sauce and a Cuisinart

Old 03-31-11, 03:04 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Great Recipe for Baja Black Mussels

Stop, You’re Making Me Hungry!

Baja Times | Tom Gatch

Black mussels are readily available along the rocky shorelines of southern California and Baja’s Pacific volcanic Pacific coast. Local mussels taken from pristine locations are generally considered to be wholesome and safe for consumption during winter months.

But, while they are indeed plentiful in our region, those who would venture out at low tide to personally pull them from their mossy anchors must be constantly aware of the incoming waves nearby, lest they be unceremoniously knocked from the rocks and swept away.

Nonetheless, coastal Indians and other residents of our area have prized them as epicurean table fare for centuries. They are especially tasty when prepared after being freshly taken from the sea. These succulent bi-valve mollusks are delectable with pesto sauce and pasta, are absolutely mandatory when making Spanish paella and are also a gourmet delicacy when simply steamed and dipped in garlic butter.

Here is a great recipe for baked mussels that harkens back to the isle of Sicily, and offers a touch of Mediterranean elegance that artfully offsets the delicate flavor of the popular Mollusk. And there is certainly no need to worry if you don’t particularly feel up to harvesting them from the rocks yourself; both farm-raised and wild black mussels are available at most well-stocked seafood markets. Just follow these basic instructions, and then get ready for the compliments to come.

Ingredients:

1 kilo of large black mussels
12 fresh pear tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups bread crumbs
4 Tbs. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 Tbs. Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp crushed red chili

Method:

Scrub the mussels with a brush, and pull off beards if necessary. Prepare a fry pan with a tight fitting lid that will hold all the mussels. Add 3-4 T olive oil, 1/3-cup water, salt, and pepper. Cover pan; let mussels steam over medium heat to open. Combine other ingredients to use as stuffing. Remove mussels to cool and reserve liquid. Do not use unopened mussels. Remove mussels and open shells to lay flat. Do not break apart. Place one mussel in each shell, cover with stuffing. Place 1 T of chopped tomatoes on each mussel. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Drizzle with olive oil and remaining liquid from steam process to moisten breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Enjoy this dish with a fresh, green salad and a cold glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.

source...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-31-11, 09:32 PM   #2
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Great Recipe for Baja Black Mussels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Stop, You’re Making Me Hungry!

Baja Times | Tom Gatch

Black mussels are readily available along the rocky shorelines of southern California and Baja’s Pacific volcanic Pacific coast. Local mussels taken from pristine locations are generally considered to be wholesome and safe for consumption during winter months.

But, while they are indeed plentiful in our region, those who would venture out at low tide to personally pull them from their mossy anchors must be constantly aware of the incoming waves nearby, lest they be unceremoniously knocked from the rocks and swept away.

Nonetheless, coastal Indians and other residents of our area have prized them as epicurean table fare for centuries. They are especially tasty when prepared after being freshly taken from the sea. These succulent bi-valve mollusks are delectable with pesto sauce and pasta, are absolutely mandatory when making Spanish paella and are also a gourmet delicacy when simply steamed and dipped in garlic butter.

Here is a great recipe for baked mussels that harkens back to the isle of Sicily, and offers a touch of Mediterranean elegance that artfully offsets the delicate flavor of the popular Mollusk. And there is certainly no need to worry if you don’t particularly feel up to harvesting them from the rocks yourself; both farm-raised and wild black mussels are available at most well-stocked seafood markets. Just follow these basic instructions, and then get ready for the compliments to come.

Ingredients:

1 kilo of large black mussels
12 fresh pear tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups bread crumbs
4 Tbs. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 Tbs. Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp crushed red chili

Method:

Scrub the mussels with a brush, and pull off beards if necessary. Prepare a fry pan with a tight fitting lid that will hold all the mussels. Add 3-4 T olive oil, 1/3-cup water, salt, and pepper. Cover pan; let mussels steam over medium heat to open. Combine other ingredients to use as stuffing. Remove mussels to cool and reserve liquid. Do not use unopened mussels. Remove mussels and open shells to lay flat. Do not break apart. Place one mussel in each shell, cover with stuffing. Place 1 T of chopped tomatoes on each mussel. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Drizzle with olive oil and remaining liquid from steam process to moisten breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Enjoy this dish with a fresh, green salad and a cold glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.

source...
Cut the crap, just because I am back North for a mandatory Month, you do not have to make me drool!!!!! Are you cooking next time????
Old 04-01-11, 07:02 AM   #3
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob r
Cut the crap, just because I am back North for a mandatory Month, you do not have to make me drool!!!!! Are you cooking next time????
Make me an offer I can't refuse...

Old 04-01-11, 07:56 AM   #4
bob r

Quote:
Make me an offer I can't refuse...

I might do that!!!! What do you need from up North???
Old 04-01-11, 12:54 PM   #5
BajaGringo

What I am needing from up north...

Old 04-01-11, 02:31 PM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Run some cables, bro.
Old 04-01-11, 04:21 PM   #7
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

I've put a link on here that; given how fast technology changes, is somewhat outdated.

However, bottom line is that LED TVs use a bit less power, and actually provide a better picture quality, especially where black is involved.

And by the way, personnally, I think that mussels have the flavor of sweaty gym socks. JMO
Old 04-01-11, 04:29 PM   #8
bob r

Quote:
WOW thats a lot of Mussels
Old 11-19-12, 09:46 PM   #9
Bajacastaway

Bajacastaway is on a distinguished road

That recipe sounds awsome, we can occasionally get them in Oregon but most of the time they have Demoic (SP?) poison and you can't harvest any. Next time I get some either in Baja or Oregon I'm going to give your recipe a try.
Old 11-19-12, 09:54 PM   #10
BajaGringo

The general rule we follow is only collect the deepest ones and at low tide so you can make sure they have not been out of the water too long. Make sure you only take mussels that are tightly closed. You want them to open while cooking them - not before...