General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 06-15-11, 07:54 AM   #1
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Default NEWS FLASH! World's Longest Escrow Finally Closes!

Looking back at one of my first posts "Moving to Baja in Feb." I realize how stupid I was about dealing with good old government agencies that look for ways to make things difficult.

So finally, after months of the SBA coming up with every bit of nonesense and irrelevant BS they could think of, every attorney involved trying to make themselves look smarter than the other attorneys involved, and undoubtedly the most incompetent loan officer on the planet, we are closing and funding today.

One would think I had just sold 50 McDonald's instead of my humble pasta operation. Oh well, one should not dwell on the past.

So in less than two weeks I will be loading up my cat (who's complaining meow leads me to believe she is an ex reincarnated) and my BBBC (Best Buddy Border Collie) and point the nose of the suv SOUTH.

I am waiting to hear back from my realtor on a great little place in Cantamar. I love Primo Tapia and used to rent weekend homes in Cantamar years ago. Having Ruben's about 100 yards from my front door (maybe 200-300 on the way back depending on Don Julio consumption) is not too bad either.

Once we get settled in I would like to get around and meet as many of you in BCN as possible. The members of this forum have provided information and inspiration on a regular basis. The tales of your collective experiences have reinforced my decision to make Baja my last home.

I follow several other forums and this one is far and away the best....period.

All dog lovers will be welcome to stop by and join us in a romp on the beach anytime. I will update all my contact information just as soon as I get landed and gather what wits I have lett.

Happily unemployed and Baja Bound!!!!!
Old 06-15-11, 07:57 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: NEWS FLASH! World's Longest Escrow Finally Closes!

Congratulations! I know of several folks NOB trying to sell a home / business and it is extremely difficult these days to sell and get a decent price. Post some pics of your new place once you get settled...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-15-11, 08:30 AM   #3
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

yes pictures to soothe my curious soul. Good luck on your new adventure.
Old 06-15-11, 08:38 AM   #4
TravelPro787

Thanks BG. Assuming my realtor comes through for me, it's just a small rental with great ocean views. I just want a place to land that is close enough to the border for me to run up to Hemet often to see my older sister, who is in a wheelchair from years of being a diabetic.

I doubt that I will be a homeowner again. I want the flexibility of being a renter so if I find another slice of Baja heaven in the future, I am free to explore.

You are right about the situation here in the states. In better times, I would have gotten significantly more for the business, but it is simply time to go.

I don't think I would survive another Seattle winter without seriously considering slitting my wrists. Being a So.Cal. baby and growing up on the beach, cold, grey and constantly rainy weather is not a natural part of my psyche. The winters have not gotten any shorter the last few years, but my patience to deal with them certainly has.

As much as I loved my business, being responsible for 14 families, making payroll and paying taxes takes it's toll. I definitely won't miss the stress involved and am looking forward to the most difficult decison of the day will be if I want fish or carne asada tacos...
Old 06-15-11, 08:45 AM   #5
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Felicidades!

Two weeks after we sold everything we crossed the border at 9:30 AM, two aged, screaming cats, one snoozing lab,a computer, grandma's silver and clothes. After a few minutes to navigate through TJ my husband permanently morphed into a giddy idiot. 51/2 years and we've never "looked back". Bet you don't either. These are the bonus years, relish every minute.
Old 06-15-11, 09:42 PM   #6
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Good for you... and many happy days... sounds like you just hit the big jack pot !!!

Don't forget to take pictures ... for those of us not as lucky..
Old 06-15-11, 10:18 PM   #7
TravelPro787

Thanks for all the good wishes. As far as pictures go, my kids have made it pretty clear that I have to post a lot of them on FaceBook (It's how I see pics of my grandkids) so I will be particular and if lucky enough to take anything remotely worth sharing, I will put em up.

If anyone here understands even 10% of what Facebook is all about, you are way ahead of me. I think I must be getting old. I don't even tweet.

Don't forget my standing offer to give me a head's up if you are going to be in the neighborhood. Realtor working to finalize place I want in Cantamar and I hear the butcher in Primo Tapia is a little grouchy but cuts a mean ribeye to order. The grill is always on standby for guests and their furry critters.

By the way, if anyone in the area has a chocolate standard poodle, for heavens sake, we have to get together because my poor border collie is madly in love with the one next door and I am afraid I am going to have to deal with him howling at the moon, lamenting love lost.
Old 11-10-11, 12:27 AM   #8
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Hey travelpro, I've been catching up on the forum after finishing our summer Alaska season, and noticed that you hadn't posted in a while. I just wondered how everything was working out for you?

I hope you're well and the new life is working out. Drop an update when you can. Thanks!
Old 12-29-11, 11:31 PM   #9
TravelPro787

Hi Islander and thanks for checking up on me.

When I first got here I was so exhausted both mentally and physically that I pretty much turned into lump that only moved from the couch to the beach and back. By the time I returned to some sort of normalcy (for me) I needed to get my bearings and find my way around the area, which has changed so much since the last time I was here.

I have settled in well and love Baja even more then I thought I would. I have met some great people who share my interests in animal rescue and neutering and just had a great time helping to make Christmas a special time for the kids at an orphanage in La Mision.

I take dogs from The Baja Animal Sanctuary up to adoption events in San Diego County almost every Saturday and that is very rewarding when so many of them find homes each week. With over 400 dogs in residence at any given time at BAS, it's a never ending challenge as most of the adoptions are in the US.

I retired here because I have always loved the area, the people and of course, the food. After 6 months here in Primo Tapia I can say that they are all even better than I remembered and I am both happy and fortunate to be here. I'm home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000193.JPG

Views:	33

Size:	2.70 MB

ID:	3087  
Old 12-30-11, 10:25 AM   #10
Islander

Good Morning TravelPro!
I love reading about people's plans working out for them, it makes me hope that perhaps mine will as well.
It sounds like you've been busy and productive, and relaxed too. A wonderful combination.
Working with the orphaned and abandoned among us is as noble a retirement gig as I can imagine, thank you for doing what you're doing.
We're still here in the NW. We're going to "afford" an extended road trip to Baja this winter (February), looking at land and connecting with friends (some of whom I haven't yet met) and generally drying out a bit.
We too love Border Collies, ours being bright enough to do most of our accounting and offer investment advice.
Enjoy the beach for us until we can get there ourselves, and thanks for the update!
Blessings.
Old 12-30-11, 10:44 AM   #11
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

"We too love Border Collies, ours being bright enough to do most of our accounting and offer investment advice." ... had one just like that ... thanks for the memories ...
Old 12-30-11, 09:44 PM   #12
TravelPro787

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
"We too love Border Collies, ours being bright enough to do most of our accounting and offer investment advice." ... had one just like that ... thanks for the memories ...
I saw a program recently about the smartest dog breeds and Border Collies were on top of the herding group, which placed first. They are able to understand up to 250 commands both verbal, sounds and body gestures. They showed two champion sheep trial dogs and their owner. He has separate commands for each dog based on their job, and he can switch the dogs to either job and they will understand the other set of commands.

My problem would be learning all the commands to begin with. As far as investment advice, let's just say I would have been better off with him as an adviser.

I love their intelligence but the two I have been fortunate to share life with have been just amazing, affectionate, loyal and protective companions.

The only thing more perfect would be if he knew how to wash the SUV, which suddenly looks like a feed and tack store, complete with alfalfa scraps everywhere.
Old 12-30-11, 10:50 PM   #13
Islander

Sorry for the following Hijack:

Our first Border Collie was amazing. One example;

The dog, Kitt, loved to watch people play catch. Her job was to get the ball when anyone missed their catch, and return it to the person who had thrown it. She always put the ball on the throwers foot, something we didn't teach her, she just did it.

One time, after several retrievals, the ball was getting pretty slimy and my daughter told Kitt to "take the ball to daddy", Kitt instantly reversed course and dropped the ball on my foot. Later I told her to "take it to Kestrel" and she did so. We later figured out that she knew all 6 of us by name. We never taught her this, she just figured it out somehow.

We found out that she was probably deaf in at least one ear, and she died at 4 from a probable brain tumor.

She also taught herself how to herd our sheep. We would litterally explain what we wanted to do, and she would go get the sheep and make it happen.

If I had only bought gold when she told me I should!
Old 12-31-11, 08:16 AM   #14
Zoesterone

Zoesterone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPro787
Thanks BG. Assuming my realtor comes through for me, it's just a small rental with great ocean views. I just want a place to land that is close enough to the border for me to run up to Hemet often to see my older sister, who is in a wheelchair from years of being a diabetic.

I doubt that I will be a homeowner again. I want the flexibility of being a renter so if I find another slice of Baja heaven in the future, I am free to explore.

You are right about the situation here in the states. In better times, I would have gotten significantly more for the business, but it is simply time to go.

I don't think I would survive another Seattle winter without seriously considering slitting my wrists. Being a So.Cal. baby and growing up on the beach, cold, grey and constantly rainy weather is not a natural part of my psyche. The winters have not gotten any shorter the last few years, but my patience to deal with them certainly has.

As much as I loved my business, being responsible for 14 families, making payroll and paying taxes takes it's toll. I definitely won't miss the stress involved and am looking forward to the most difficult decison of the day will be if I want fish or carne asada tacos...

There are so many ocean view rentals available down here now, (and MORE than reasonable) I agree, renting give you flexibility. I couldn't be happier with our rental right on the ocean just down the road from you in El Pescador. Welcome to the 'hood.