Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 06-22-11, 03:40 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Mexico demands probe in migrant killed by US agent (AP)

AP - Mexico's government on Wednesday condemned a fatal shooting by a U.S. Border Patrol agent of a Mexican man who was allegedly trying to sneak across the border.

More...
Old 06-22-11, 04:35 PM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Mexico demands probe in migrant killed by US agent (AP)

Sometimes I have difficulty deciding who to believe. This incident is just reinforcement.

Since when do our border patrol folks have a shoot to kill order??

Most of the poor bastards attempting to cross are far from being a physical threat.
Old 06-22-11, 05:10 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Most police departments carry rubber bullets for such cases. Seems like it might be a good idea for the CBP...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-22-11, 06:19 PM   #4
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Mexico demands probe in migrant killed by US agent (AP)

AP - Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Wednesday condemned a Border Patrol agent's fatal shooting of a Mexican man who allegedly struck another agent with a nail-studded post. The union representing agents called the triggerman a hero.

More...
Old 06-23-11, 04:03 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

"The union representing agents called the triggerman a hero."

This exactly what drove me to really hate cops back in my days of hippiedom. Folks join a police force and get carried away with their assignment. Or get their rocks off.

No matter how anyone stands on illegals, there's absolutely no reason for the taking of a life over some bullshit breach of the border by someone who probably was hungry or had a hungry family.

Similarly, in my opinion, the border agents should absolutely be trained to back off in a situation where something like this might occur. Had that been done here, there would be one less dead human.

I dare anyone to convince me that illegally crossing the border is somehow a capital offense.

Just seems to me that the Homeland Security folks need to get some new leadership and develop realistic priorities. Shooting at some poor guy trying to jump the fence, in an era when the cartels don't seem to have much trouble hauling tons of drugs across the border.

I'm reminded of a very recent interview given by NBC's Richard Engel, who has spent a large part of his life precariously reporting from a number if Middle Eastern venues. He opined that the US ought to withdraw from Afghanistan, and... end the so-called war on terror.

Interesting show, but Engel's salient comments are around 5:00 and 15:00

Richard Engel Of NBC News Calls The War On Terrorism 'A War Of Fear' (VIDEO)

A more expansive discussion, on of all places, Jay Leno!

Richard Engel: Get Out Of Afghanistan, End War On Terror (VIDEO)
Old 06-23-11, 05:29 PM   #6
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd

I dare anyone to convince me that illegally crossing the border is somehow a capital offense.
They should be calling it "Suicide" if these poor souls are going to cross the line to assault our Federal officers.
How can you justify this crap, Howard? Why?

Old 06-23-11, 05:33 PM   #7
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Or we change over to "nail-studded posts" ..... in stead of using hand guns and/or rifles ...
Old 06-23-11, 06:16 PM   #8
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
They should be calling it "Suicide" if these poor souls are going to cross the line to assault our Federal officers.
How can you justify this crap, Howard? Why?

Crap? Assaulting our Federal officers with rocks? As I mentioned before, our priorities are totally screwed up when we even allow ourselves to get into a situation where we cheer about shooting to death someone throwing rocks, while millions of dollars of drugs are crossing the border on a regular basis.
Old 06-23-11, 06:51 PM   #9
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

We should really start shooting the people who employ illegals and undermining our wages.
That'd stop this shit in a second.
Old 06-23-11, 07:17 PM   #10
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
We should really start shooting the people who employ illegals and undermining our wages.
That'd stop this shit in a second.
Don't hold your breath. Then who would sign the corporate America campaign donation checks???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-23-11, 07:36 PM   #11
wessongroup

Yep, but who will harvest our food or plant it.... tie vines, chop cotton, et al ....

Think César Chávez made it pretty clear... if they don't ... no one does... or that used to be... perhaps those JOB's everyone is looking for are actually out there...

But, we seemed to have moved above: yard work, working in fast food restaurants, washing dishes, working in the garment district .... and for sure working in Agriculture growing food and fiber...
Old 06-23-11, 07:45 PM   #12
soulpatch

Just remember Wiley, Cesar Chavez used to call INS on illegals. He did not want them undermining the wages they fought so hard for,
Now look at construction trades for just one example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
Yep, but who will harvest our food or plant it.... tie vines, chop cotton, et al ....

Think César Chávez made it pretty clear... if they don't ... no one does... or that used to be... perhaps those JOB's everyone is looking for are actually out there...

But, we seemed to have moved above: yard work, working in fast food restaurants, washing dishes, working in the garment district .... and for sure working in Agriculture growing food and fiber...
Old 06-23-11, 07:59 PM   #13
wessongroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Just remember Wiley, Cesar Chavez used to call INS on illegals. He did not want them undermining the wages they fought so hard for,
Now look at construction trades for just one example.
No argument there... with me...

But, the growers still use an inordinate amount of illegals today.. unless it has REALLY changed...

And I remember the trades being impacted as early as 1964, when I belonged to the IBEW...and organized labor was trying to fight against it (that would be folks that would work for anything)... ... unsuccessfully by trade Union's... due to business decisions made and then implemented by our elected officials' .... 1964 was when President Johnson sign the law that allowed american business to go across the border and make things cheaper and then come back and compete against other american business with higher overhead .... and the trend was set... and has only caused the worker here in the United States to lose buying power consistently over the past 50 years...IMHO
Old 06-23-11, 10:13 PM   #14
soulpatch

Thumbs up Re: Mexico demands probe in migrant killed by US agent (AP)

I would say that is a well informed opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
No argument there... with me...

But, the growers still use an inordinate amount of illegals today.. unless it has REALLY changed...

And I remember the trades being impacted as early as 1964, when I belonged to the IBEW...and organized labor was trying to fight against it (that would be folks that would work for anything)... ... unsuccessfully by trade Union's... due to business decisions made and then implemented by our elected officials' .... 1964 was when President Johnson sign the law that allowed american business to go across the border and make things cheaper and then come back and compete against other american business with higher overhead .... and the trend was set... and has only caused the worker here in the United States to lose buying power consistently over the past 50 years...IMHO
Old 06-24-11, 10:05 AM   #15
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Last time I checked Illegal entry into the United States was still a misdemeanor, Since when did a crime of that magnitude warrant deadly force.
Old 06-24-11, 12:10 PM   #16
soulpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Last time I checked Illegal entry into the United States was still a misdemeanor, Since when did a crime of that magnitude warrant deadly force.
Not sure. However, if someone enters my yard and proceeds to try and beat me with a nail studded piece of wood and one or two others are throwing rocks at me from the street somebody is going to die in short order.