General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 07-10-11, 08:37 PM   #1
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Hey folks

We are finally getting back to a routine up here after our mega journey. Mega for us, anyway.
So many things occurred and are occurring daily for us during and afterwards.
We are still really processing the whole thing and we keep flashing on one moment or another. One huge factor in how we are processing all this is the world economy. Very dynamic and maybe even foreboding right now. Almost a case of the shit hitting the fan type scenario if I dwell on it for a few seconds.
Many things I miss and some I don't but we learned a lot about ourselves.
Funny, on our return to Bahia de Los Angeles we had a most relaxing and wonderful time and visit at our second home with some very special friends. Funny how a few moments here and there can change a viewpoint and some personal realities can not end but tailor a dream.....sometimes the ending isn't evident to us but how we get there will be satisfactory regardless of how it turns out.
With some extended and aging family issues to deal with here that seem to be gaining momentum we are kind of in a holding pattern.
How long that pattern lasts is anybody's guess but I, oddly enough, have responsibilities outside of my own.
Anyway, I am just now starting to get in touch with people since our return since there has been so much on our plate.
So, in no particular order and possibly only making sense to me: I am getting back in the mix so sit back and tolerate, celebrate, castigate or ignore!
This is what happens to me when I am sober.....what the hell!
Old 07-10-11, 09:35 PM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hey folks

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Oh philosophical one....when whatever is supposed to happen in your lives happens, it'll fall into place....usually with a lot of tweaking & several huge nudges from you!

Damn thought-provoking vacation, huh? Too many options can be mind-boggling! Want to simplify things? Just ask the kids, they have a way or breaking it down to basics & getting to the heart of the matter!
Old 07-10-11, 09:45 PM   #3
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
...the world economy...a case of the shit hitting the fan type scenario...
The worst argument is the one that says because it has been long discussed and nothing(much; relatively) has happened, it will not.

Of course it will; it has happened many times throughout history whenever debt has gotten way out in front of production.
Old 07-11-11, 10:04 AM   #4
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
The worst argument is the one that says because it has been long discussed and nothing(much; relatively) has happened, it will not.

Of course it will; it has happened many times throughout history whenever debt has gotten way out in front of production.
Mathmatics dictates you are absolutely correct. Anyone who believes otherwise never got passed fifth grade multiplication, or chooses to believe that the inevitable effects of this mathmatical certainty will nof impact them.

But those who have direct control over the situation do not have a plan to change this calculation, now, or in the foreseeable future. And this morning their spokesman, POTUS, clearly said that we, you and I, and "the American people" don't understand the math.

If we tolerate that, we become voluntary victims of the continuation of decades of fiscal stupidity. irresponsibility and corruption.

If, in our "sober" moments, we do not acknowledge this reality and take it into consideration in our life planning we need to decide as individuals how much we are risking and or depending on our math being "wrong".

Last edited by dusty; 07-11-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 04:02 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to attempt to read between the lines, just a bit.

If you and Ms. Soulpatch were alone; with liberated adult kids, I would think this would be a totat no-brainer.

But methinks that your parenting instinct is what is getting the better of you.

I really don't have an answer. When we have dependent kids, our first and foremost actions are to protect them and allow them to flourish.

So, if you were just a few years older, this would not be an issue.

I fervently hope you have the wisdom to do the right thing. Buena suerte.
Old 07-11-11, 04:22 PM   #6
soulpatch

I agree that without the kids this would be a no-brainer.
However, it's the in-laws that are reaching the point of needing a hand.....
One of the things I love about Mexico, at least in my experience, is taking care of family.
I would kind of be a hypocrite if I can't live that here for a few more years. That effects how I raise my kids and the values I teach them.
Also, I think my wife would have a big hole in her heart if we left her parents, even though she has lived internationally, at this point in their lives and I don't want her to experience that.
There is no total clarity for me on this, just a clearer and better field of vision when I look one way vs. the other.
That being said, my wife is still open to the idea of moving south when whatever happens on the parental front happens.
I am not going to weep any tears over this even though I could if I allowed myself to be a dweller on what isn't possible vs. what is so we will make our life here for the short term future.
Really, the only certainty in any of this is that things will change in ways that aren't known to us now.
How's that for definitive?
Old 07-11-11, 05:50 PM   #7
Bajahowodd

Quote:
I agree that without the kids this would be a no-brainer.
However, it's the in-laws that are reaching the point of needing a hand.....
One of the things I love about Mexico, at least in my experience, is taking care of family.
I would kind of be a hypocrite if I can't live that here for a few more years. That effects how I raise my kids and the values I teach them.
Also, I think my wife would have a big hole in her heart if we left her parents, even though she has lived internationally, at this point in their lives and I don't want her to experience that.
There is no total clarity for me on this, just a clearer and better field of vision when I look one way vs. the other.
That being said, my wife is still open to the idea of moving south when whatever happens on the parental front happens.
I am not going to weep any tears over this even though I could if I allowed myself to be a dweller on what isn't possible vs. what is so we will make our life here for the short term future.
Really, the only certainty in any of this is that things will change in ways that aren't known to us now.
How's that for definitive?
Sometimes, you just gotta do it.

I really don't think there's anyone on this forum that can make your decision.

I'm rooting for you. Dammit. Do it.

Just seems to me that in the really unfortunate case that it does not work out, you are young enough and resourceful enough to correct things.
Old 07-11-11, 07:15 PM   #8
soulpatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Sometimes, you just gotta do it.

I really don't think there's anyone on this forum that can make your decision.

I'm rooting for you. Dammit. Do it.

Just seems to me that in the really unfortunate case that it does not work out, you are young enough and resourceful enough to correct things.
True that and I appreciate the support!
It will happen, just not quite as soon as we were thinking. We are seriously realigning our lives financially and shifting a priority or two. We will be pretty much cash based by the end of next year so anything extra after that goes in our pockets. That's fairly Mexican, isn't it? Buy nothing unless you have the pesos in your pocket?
We are going to get there, it is just going to take a bit longer and we are totally OK with that.
It ain't like we are living in hell so we'll be alright.
Old 07-11-11, 07:26 PM   #9
Bajahowodd

Quote:
True that and I appreciate the support!
It will happen, just not quite as soon as we were thinking. We are seriously realigning our lives financially and shifting a priority or two. We will be pretty much cash based by the end of next year so anything extra after that goes in our pockets. That's fairly Mexican, isn't it? Buy nothing unless you have the pesos in your pocket?
We are going to get there, it is just going to take a bit longer and we are totally OK with that.
It ain't like we are living in hell so we'll be alright.
My friend. I cannot help but thinking about "cold feet".

But, That's OK. Huge decision. Major implications. It would make me sleepless. Even though at my advanced years, sleep avoids me all too much.

I have watched you post on this forum as well as the Nomad forum, and seriously wondered if maybe I should have, could have done the same thing that you have planned.

I got nuttin to help you. Just, as I mentioned before, do it right. Don't worry about looking back. Buena Suerte, in spades.
Old 07-11-11, 07:38 PM   #10
Marty Cortez

Man, I sure hope her parents are atypical in accepting they will need assistance in their twilight years.

We've been dealing with that and denial runs deep.
Old 07-11-11, 08:35 PM   #11
dusty

I know a story. The details aren't mine to share publicly. The high notes are aged, unable to live without care, facilities in the states would eradicate most if not all the family assets.
Made a plan, bought a lot, built house large enough for live-in care, highly skilled nurse lives in 6 days a week. cares for invalid and is cook and housekeeper. $600 USD a month. Not a unique story, it was/is replicated.

Something to think about. Buena suerte.
Old 07-11-11, 09:29 PM   #12
Marty Cortez

Lemme have that address when they move on to the afterlife.

I'm only about half kidding.

My bro-in-law and I were also only half-kidding about opening our own "Friends And Family" care/coop.

We'd co-chair the hiring/uniform committees.

Say "Ahhh", grandpa.
Old 07-12-11, 04:08 PM   #13
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
I know a story. The details aren't mine to share publicly. The high notes are aged, unable to live without care, facilities in the states would eradicate most if not all the family assets.
Made a plan, bought a lot, built house large enough for live-in care, highly skilled nurse lives in 6 days a week. cares for invalid and is cook and housekeeper. $600 USD a month. Not a unique story, it was/is replicated.

Something to think about. Buena suerte.
I'm guessing the "facility" you reference is in Mexico.

Interesting, in that while the situation you noted is super-affordable, the buzzards have already been investing in mangaged care facilities SOB. Truly alot more affordable than anything NOB, but still somewhat pricey.
Old 07-12-11, 04:46 PM   #14
dusty

Yes,here, but not a "facility". People, infirm, moving here with spouse or children and having live-in nursing care. In the case I mention it was 24/6 Assisted living can also be done very reasonably.

Last edited by dusty; 07-12-11 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 05:21 PM   #15
Bajahowodd

No argument. Reasonably. But not quite as reasonable as the situation you cited.
Old 07-12-11, 05:27 PM   #16
soulpatch

My in-laws are squared away on property to live in as or if they become infirm. No shortage of planning on their individual parts, fortunately.