Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 03-14-12, 02:32 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default Carnival Commits To Invest $150 Million In Mexican Port Infrastructure

Carnival Commits To Invest $150 Million In Mexican Port Infrastructure

By Amy Guthrie | Dow Jones Newswires
Wednesday March 14, 2012

MEXICO CITY -(Dow Jones)- Cruise-line operator Carnival Corp. (CCL) pledged to invest more than $150 million for port infrastructure in Mexico, the office of Mexican President Felipe Calderon said Wednesday.

Carnival, which accounts for 80% of the cruise business that comes to Mexico, plans to build cruise terminals in Cozumel, off the Mexican Caribbean Coast, and in Baja California Sur on the Pacific Coast, Calderon's office said in a statement.

Carnival Chief Executive Gerald Cahill, who signed a commitment with Mexico to invest the funds, commented that the cruise line has previously invested $100 million in Mexico, which is a top destination for Carnival.

The fresh investment comes at a difficult time for Mexican ports-of-call, with several lines having cancelled stops in the Pacific resort Mazatlan due to increased drug-related violence there. Many international tourists are also wary of stops in Acapulco, south of Mazatlan.

By Amy Guthrie, Dow Jones Newswires; (5255) 5980-5177, amy.guthrie@ dowjones.com

source...
Old 03-14-12, 05:49 PM   #2
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Carnival Commits To Invest $150 Million In Mexican Port Infrastructure

I wonder where they'll build their BCS cruise port? Anybody know?

I've watched them lightering guests in and out of Cabo in 35 knots of Northerly. Looked pretty spooky to me! I think that they will be building a direct moorage facility to avoid the hassles of off-shore anchoring.
Old 03-15-12, 08:58 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Carnival Commits To Invest $150 Million In Mexican Port Infrastructure

The article says BCS on the Pacific side - Todos Santos???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-16-12, 10:48 PM   #4
Islander

I can't imagine the cost to construct an artificial port large enough to moor a 900' cruise ship inside! $150 mil wouldn't come close, IMHO. How about Mag Bay? Is there a channel there that is 40' deep and a couple hundred feet wide?

I think just a hint of that in the air, and every conservation group in North America would rally to prevent it from coming to pass (and rightly so!)

*Now that I re-read the news release, it seems possible that their refering to "BCS, on the Pacific Coast" might have been refering to Baja's location, not the location on Baja of the proposed port (?)*

Last edited by Islander; 03-16-12 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 09:25 AM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I was thinking that they meant a port on the Pacific side of Baja but rereading it, you could be right my friend...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-19-12, 09:47 PM   #6
Ralph

Ralph is on a distinguished road

Confused Re: Carnival Commits To Invest $150 Million In Mexican Port Infrastructure

I read an article that said the baja sur location is puerto cortes...on isla santa margarita. Nothing there but a navy base...and out in the middle of freakin nowhere!!! Also...there isn't a signed agreement...just a pledge to....maybe....possibly...someday...build a port there!!

Last edited by Ralph; 03-19-12 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add one more sentence
Old 03-19-12, 10:07 PM   #7
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
I read an article that said the baja sur location is puerto cortes...on isla santa margarita. Nothing there but a navy base...and out in the middle of freakin nowhere!!! Also...there isn't a signed agreement...just a pledge to....maybe....possibly...someday...build a port there!!
Ralph, that would be consistant with the emerging Cruise Company business plan to make their shore stops an in-house enterprise zone. Also a way to keep concerns about safety at bay.
Old 03-20-12, 08:12 AM   #8
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

That goes along with a theme about the border fence that I read some time ago. You always want a large buffer between your sensitive assets/facilities and safe harbor for the maleantes.

By constructing the fence right up on the border against an immense existing city, we allow enormous quantities of people intimate contact with it, and easy access to compromise it.

Why not stand back a mile or two from it, and make them cross a large open area while in criminal status and easy to identify/apprehend? Same principle applies about constructing this port in the boonies.

Anybody in transit to/from there are easily-identified and accessible for investigation. Those having no legitimate reason for going there stand out.
Old 03-20-12, 08:41 AM   #9
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander

I've watched them lightering guests in and out of Cabo

Interesting word. I've never seen it before. Thanks.
------------

lighter
n
(Transport / Nautical Terms) a flat-bottomed barge used for transporting cargo, esp in loading or unloading a ship
[probably from Middle Dutch; compare C16 Dutch lichter]
Old 03-20-12, 10:41 AM   #10
Ralph

Ralph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Ralph, that would be consistant with the emerging Cruise Company business plan to make their shore stops an in-house enterprise zone. Also a way to keep concerns about safety at bay.
Islander,

The last Mexican cruise I took(10/11)... I had a 20 minute chat with the cruise director...who said that Carnival was planning to "shorten" up their cruising range. The long run to Acapulco, Zihua & Manzanillo was burning up a fortune in fuel..which was making it difficult to turn much of a profit. He thoughts were... that PV would be at the absolute southern tip of their route.

I am surprised that Carnival doesn't schedule more stops to La Paz. I much prefer it over Cabo anyday. Cabo to me.. has no charm whatsoever. Now.. if Zihuatenejo didn't have the freakin humidity...I would be LIVING there!!

The really SAD story ..is that businesses in Mazatlan(especially the golden zone) have been devastated by the loss of the cruising dollars. I have several friends there that rely on tourism.....and they are having a tough go of it.