Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 04-23-12, 05:52 AM   #1
surfingbodi

surfingbodi is on a distinguished road

Default Family looking for . . .

Hi Folks,

I am looking to relocate with my two school aged children (12 & 15) to the Ensenada area for a year or two, maybe longer. I am self-employed but do wish to be within a few hours of the border because I will need to come to the states a few times a year. I am familiar with Baja as I use to go for a month at a time and travel/surf through the area when I lived in CA but that was years ago.

Looking for input on the following: rent a small house/bungalow where we can have our dogs, be near ocean to surf, and near schools for the kids (english/spanish). very ok with quaint, simple, lifestyle though internet is an issue because I need it to make my living. also need orthodontist if anyone has knowledge of any there. kids play soccer so that would be nice to know about as well.

Looking forward to hearing more about all of you and how Baja is working for you :)

sb
Old 04-23-12, 09:22 AM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Family looking for . . .

Hello sb,

to TalkBaja and thanks for joining!

We have a few members from around the Ensenada area who might chime in shortly.

Meanwhile, here is some other useful information to consider.
Old 04-23-12, 07:57 PM   #3
surfingbodi

Thank you Marty! These look very helpful.

When I use to travel Baja, I just to travel in a beater by ANY standards and it made me fel comfortable because I knew I just blended. Now I have a big Tundra w/shell because of kids, dogs, gear, and a better economic status. However, am I now going to need to be concerned about traveling around Baja? I know there are lots of trucks but is this going to stand out? It's 4 years old but a nice vehicle no doubt (at least compared to what I use to drive down there - 10+ year old Dodge Omni).

I am a single woman so I know that I always have to keep that in mind no matter where I travel but I do remember the traveling the roads between remote areas was probably always the time I felt the most exposed before.

Gari
Old 04-23-12, 09:00 PM   #4
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingbodi
Thank you Marty! These look very helpful.

When I use to travel Baja, I just to travel in a beater by ANY standards and it made me feel comfortable because I knew I just blended. Now I have a big Tundra w/shell because of kids, dogs, gear, and a better economic status. However, am I now going to need to be concerned about traveling around Baja? I know there are lots of trucks but is this going to stand out? It's 4 years old but a nice vehicle no doubt (at least compared to what I use to drive down there - 10+ year old Dodge Omni).

I am a single woman so I know that I always have to keep that in mind no matter where I travel but I do remember the traveling the roads between remote areas was probably always the time I felt the most exposed before.

Gari
Sounds like you are in the practice of using common sense and that's what you need to continue to do down here. There are a lot of very nice vehicles down here so you will be surprised how well you will blend in. I drive a Lincoln Navigator and see a lot of them so don't feel like I stand out at all. You will see a lot of very nice trucks as they are so popular here.

Check some of the local classifieds, including Craig's List for rentals but I have found that a lot of the better rentals at the best prices are through word of mouth. The place I am renting in La Mision belongs to a friend of a friend and would have never found it with a Realtor and it was not advertised.

If you can hang out in a hotel for a few days when you get here and haven't found anything ahead of time, drive around the areas you are interested in and look for rental signs.

I don't personally know of an Orthodontist but recommend you call the offices of Dr. Marco Antonio Sam, who is a great dentist in Ensenada for a referral. His number in Mexico is 646 178-3458. For regular dental work, he is the best. A friend of mine who sent me to him has been driving down from Laguna Beach for years just to have him do her dental work.

Keep us posted on your progress and you will probably hear from other members who will have more suggestions and hopeuflly referrals on a great rental.
Old 04-23-12, 09:06 PM   #5
TravelPro787

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I am looking to relocate with my two school aged children (12 & 15) to the Ensenada area for a year or two, maybe longer. I am self-employed but do wish to be within a few hours of the border because I will need to come to the states a few times a year. I am familiar with Baja as I use to go for a month at a time and travel/surf through the area when I lived in CA but that was years ago.

Looking for input on the following: rent a small house/bungalow where we can have our dogs, be near ocean to surf, and near schools for the kids (english/spanish). very ok with quaint, simple, lifestyle though internet is an issue because I need it to make my living. also need orthodontist if anyone has knowledge of any there. kids play soccer so that would be nice to know about as well.

Looking forward to hearing more about all of you and how Baja is working for you :)

sb
Most areas have excellent internet access. I use Telnor and for less than $50 a month, including local telephone service, I get very high speed internet and actually find it faster than what I had in Seattle. Very reliable too.

I have been here for 9 months, have been coming here for years and love it more every day. Moving back to the states never crosses my mind. Cost of living is excellent, food is great and the people have always been wonderful. Your kids will be in soccer heaven.
Old 04-23-12, 09:11 PM   #6
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Gari

You might want to subscribe to the Punta Banda newsletter:

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Information on activities in the local ensenada area, houses for rent and other info. You can also ask your questions on the newsletter.

Also, check your private messages...........

Teniente
Old 04-24-12, 08:14 PM   #7
mike99km

mike99km is on a distinguished road

San Miguel might be worth a look. There are many rentals for a fair price, Both locals and expats. I'm not sure about the schools. At the end of the tole road go over the bridge and turn right at the mini store. Ask around for Pat, she retired there about 3 years ago she'll know what is going on. You can ask for Sal as well. (Expats call him Sal locals, call him Jose)
Old 04-25-12, 06:16 AM   #8
surfingbodi

Thank you again!!! This is great and will do. I cannot believe how supportive everyone in Baja has been AND I can't believe how many people think I am putting my kids and myself in front of an execution squad by going down there, even educated people. Lucky for me I guess so it keeps the costs down but really sad for them.

Gari

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelPro787
Sounds like you are in the practice of using common sense and that's what you need to continue to do down here. There are a lot of very nice vehicles down here so you will be surprised how well you will blend in. I drive a Lincoln Navigator and see a lot of them so don't feel like I stand out at all. You will see a lot of very nice trucks as they are so popular here.

Check some of the local classifieds, including Craig's List for rentals but I have found that a lot of the better rentals at the best prices are through word of mouth. The place I am renting in La Mision belongs to a friend of a friend and would have never found it with a Realtor and it was not advertised.

If you can hang out in a hotel for a few days when you get here and haven't found anything ahead of time, drive around the areas you are interested in and look for rental signs.

I don't personally know of an Orthodontist but recommend you call the offices of Dr. Marco Antonio Sam, who is a great dentist in Ensenada for a referral. His number in Mexico is 646 178-3458. For regular dental work, he is the best. A friend of mine who sent me to him has been driving down from Laguna Beach for years just to have him do her dental work.

Keep us posted on your progress and you will probably hear from other members who will have more suggestions and hopeuflly referrals on a great rental.
Old 04-25-12, 06:17 AM   #9
surfingbodi

@ Mike - Thank you and I am adding these folks to my notes!!! Seems like the community down there is fairly tight and friendly which is awesome. Are there any expats other than U.S. folks???

sb/gari
Old 04-25-12, 06:18 AM   #10
surfingbodi

Thank you and will do!!!

sb/gari
Old 04-25-12, 06:22 AM   #11
surfingbodi

That is great to know because my daughter LOVES soccer, my son use to until he had a total nonwin year but I think he could get on board again. He also love Mixed Martial Arts which is HUGE here in Albuquerque, NM having some of the best Ultimate Fighters in the world. However, it is also becoming very big in many spanish speaking countries as well as some of the asian cultures. Anyone know if there are any MMA gyms down there?

Thank you,
sb/gari
Old 04-25-12, 08:05 AM   #12
TravelPro787

Quote:
@ Mike - Thank you and I am adding these folks to my notes!!! Seems like the community down there is fairly tight and friendly which is awesome. Are there any expats other than U.S. folks???

sb/gari
Baja is actually quite a melting pot of different nationalities. A fair amount of Canadians of course, being so close, but also Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Italian and others. I am always running into someone from another country that lives here and loves it. Hussong's was started by German immigrants and the family has become a very integral part of the Ensenada community.
Old 04-26-12, 01:17 PM   #13
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I love your spirit and salute your drive - this is a beautiful corner of the planet albeit it challenging at times. The fact that you have two school aged children with you should make finding the right schooling option your number one priority right now. From there you can decide where the best place to live.

Suerte!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-14-12, 11:56 AM   #14
Gloria

Gloria is on a distinguished road

Hello, Ensenada welcomes you !
I advise you to bring your children's birth certificates with an apostille because you and them need a permit from Immigration to live here.

If your children are going to school here, they need to show that they are "legal" in the Country.
for them to be admitted into any school private or public, and you also need to bring their transcripts with an apostille.

Of all the places in Baja California, Ensenada has the nicest climate and people are nice. You can be sure that you are making a good choice coming for a few years.

Good luck !

Gloria.
Old 09-14-12, 06:03 PM   #15
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Kind of nice in Nayarit none of the people I have talked to that have immigrated with kids have needed anything apostiled.
State to state, I guess.
Old 09-17-12, 12:14 PM   #16
Gloria

Gloria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch
Kind of nice in Nayarit none of the people I have talked to that have immigrated with kids have needed anything apostiled.
State to state, I guess.

Soulpatch:
Well, maybe the children are not legal or have double nationality. Immigration Law does not change state to state, that is why I let this lovely lady know what she will need to bring to enroll her children in scholl.

regards!
Gloria.
Old 09-18-12, 10:25 AM   #17
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Thank you.
Old 09-18-12, 12:21 PM   #18
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

When our Grand daughter came to Baja the Obstacles the system put up were unbelivable.Like they denanded a Graduation Certificate from grade school, One was supplied, It was not good enough,It had to have a Offical Seal, A Seal was provided, it was not good enough It had to be a Raised Offical Seal and the list goes on. they relented and allowed her to attend school but would not give her credit for attending and when she entered school events same story she was not enrolled so no credit
After leaving Mexico she recived a G.E.D. in the states and enrolled in college. This child was a honor roll student all through school In the States and Mexico.
As to being in Mexico Legaly S he had a F.M.2 because she was listed on her parents Corp.