Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 12-12-10, 07:36 PM   #1
TravelPro787

TravelPro787 is on a distinguished road

Default Moving to Rosarito Beach in Feb.

I will be moving to the Rosarito Beach area in late February and look forward to the information on this forum. Thanks in advance for your experience and advice.
Old 12-12-10, 11:02 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Moving to Rosarito Beach in Feb.

and thanks for joining!

I don't have any direct experience to contribute, but I would caution you to put a bit of thought into personal security. In the last several years, apart from the enormous narco-violence crime wave, there has been a marked increase in other kinds.

Not widely-reported in English, there are nevertheless ways to stay informed. Here is a list of Spanish language news that can be run through Google Translate if you can't read it.

A very few might be dead; I don't read all of them regularly.

AFN Tijuana | Agencia Fronteriza de Noticias
Borderland Beat
Border Reporter News That Crossed The Line News and tales from the U.S.-Mexico border, covering immigration, politics, organized crime, Homeland Security, corruption and drug trafficking.
CRIMEN SIN CASTIGO
Diario.com.mx: Edicirez, Chihuauha
DiarioSanDiego.com
En Línea Tijuana Agencia de Noticias Online!
http://www.frontera.info/
Google Noticias
http://www.lacronica.com/
El Mexicano

Justice in Mexico
Mexico news and opinion
Narco Tijuana
Narcotráfico en México
Nota Roja
Radar Político | Lo que realmente importa
SintesisTV el canal de la frontera. Noticias, Deportes, TV en vivo por internet, Cultura y mucho más
El Sol de Tijuana
La Paz
Noticias Locales
Mexico & Latin America - SignOnSanDiego.com
San Diego and Mexico Border News - Baja, Tijuana, Calexico, Tecate - SignOnSanDiego.com
Editorial El Vigía | Periodismo con la gente
Old 12-13-10, 09:09 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum travelpro - will your move be full time or part time?

Marty - that is quite a list. I am impressed!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-14-10, 10:54 PM   #4
Guerito

Guerito is on a distinguished road

Bienvenidos. I have lived full time in Rosarito for the past four years, and part time for the five years prior. So I was here before the drug cartel violence began, and I can tell you that the media coverage is overblown. The tales of bodies, blood and terror just didn't exist for the foreign resident or tourist... not one innocent foreign resident or tourist was killed or injured.

That does not mean that there is not crime. There are murders, burglaries, carjackings... in the same ratios to other cities around the world. The State of Baja says that the crime rate is down in Rosarito... the lowest in the state per capita. There are not as many police officers here and those kind of support services are fewer... so you have to prepare to take care of yourself a little.

I recommend that you rent in a secure development until you know your way around. Once you are here, you can ask other local expats where they live and what their experiences are. Do that, exercise common sense, and be alert, you will have no problems.

You don't say what you know, so I will provide some information, fyi:

Join the United Society of Baja California. Monthly breakfast meetings where you will meet others, local government types, US Consulate reps, etc., who come and speak to you directly and answer questions.

Join the local branch of the Red Cross. That's Cruz Roja here. It is a good way to show that you are a local, not a stranger.

Both dues are only $15 per year, and between both and the newsletters/email bulletins you receive, you will be well informed of most everything that is going on.

There are local mail services here where you can have a POBox address in the US, and your mail will be delivered here to a private mail box right here in Rosarito. It's easy and another source of information.

Of course, you want Mexican liability insurance. It's cheap and worth having.

While you are in the states, I recommend you arrange for Vonage or Net2Phone... or some other VOIp phone service. As long as you have high speed internet, you can bring the modem with you, and you will have a US area code (you pick) and number so you have seemless communications.

After you get here, decide which is better for you: a local phone service with high speed internet; or cable tv with phone and internet service. May depend on where you locate as to which is best.

There may be others, but ATT has a "Viva Mexico" plan for cell phones where you can use minutes on both sides of the border.

If you prepare for these little things, it will facilitate communications back home, and keep you in touch.

Personally, I don't recommend you isolate yourself in some gringo enclave away from town. Neither do I recommend you reside in the middle of a local neighborhood... until you know your way around and know where you are. Those who live in the local neighborhoods, and there are many, don't leave their home unattended for long periods, and prepare the place with proper safety/security measures. Nothing exotic... just common sense.

Most of the people you run into will be warm, welcoming and wonderful. But no matter what your financial status, it's higher than the locals. "Blend" is the order of the day. Don't stand out. Observe your surroundings and blend in.

There are some businesses such as Serena Full Assistance that can also offer you a directory and services that are helpful for the new residence.

So welcome... go slow... observe everything, meet and talk to other expats like yourself and get lots of opinions. People will like to help, and there are a lot of good folks and organizations (theater guild, friends of the library, flying samaritans, etc.) where you can be involved and get the factual information.

For the record... I don't sell anything or operate any business. I enjoy my life here and hope you will also.

Hopefully we'll meet one day!

Old 12-16-10, 10:25 AM   #5
BajaGringo

Great post Guerito - glad to see you onboard and welcome...

Old 12-16-10, 07:57 PM   #6
TravelPro787

Thanks for all the information. I am very familiar with the area and have done extensive research on the current security issues. I have family who recently lived in Rosarito for over 5 years and only left for an opportunity in Santa Barbara that they could not turn down.

I have had the good fortune to travel extensively and know that if you want to go looking for trouble you will find it regardless of the location. I have had wonderful times in Sao Paolo and Rio and knew that making a wrong turn in either city could mean the differnce of coming back to my hotel that night or not.

What I do know about Mexico is from a lot of first hand experience, including being married to a wonderful lady from Mexico City for over 20 years. I know the heart of the Mexican people and that is why I am retiring there.

Once again, I appreciate the heads up, but if it's one thing we get pleanty of in the news here in the US, is just how horrible things are in Mexico. Funny, but in a 6 week period earlier this year, 6 Seattle area police officers were assasinated. I don't mean killed in the line of duty, I mean assasinated, murdered in cold blood. You don't hear much in the news about Seattle being dangerous even though we have a higher murder rate per capita than Rosarito or Ensenada.
Old 12-16-10, 08:11 PM   #7
TravelPro787

Guerito, you listed a ton of great information. Some I had already discovered but a couple of tidbits really helped a lot. I did not know about the AT&T plan. I have been a customer for years and it would be great to stay with them. I was also happy to hear about the mail service as well. Very convenient.

I have Magic Jack for phone service on have heard good things about it in Mexico. I use VOIP and MS Messenger for video chats with my kids and grandkids.

I plan on becoming a legal resident and registering my Navigator in Mexico and have all the appropriate insurance in Mexico.

I liked the idea of joining Cruz Roja and am definitely interested in becoming integrated into the local community. I am moving to Mexico because I love the Mexican people.

I would also like to get involved in the efforts to bring visitors back to Baja and not because I will have any financial incentive.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great information. I look forward to all you can provide.
Old 01-12-11, 01:21 PM   #8
scott

scott is on a distinguished road

We are also thinking of moving to either Rosarito Beach or Ensenada and are coming down in Feb. to look at condo's. I would love to share information and ideas with you. Where are you looking or buying? Have you considered Ensenda and if not why? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you and hope to soon be part of the community. We are looking to possibly buy now rent it out and retire in 2-4 years and live full time.
Old 01-12-11, 05:50 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Welcome to the forum Scott. While we wait for the op to respond, why not tell us why you are looking at the Rosarito - Ensenada area?

Old 01-12-11, 06:09 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Just my opinion, but, Ensenada is a city. Rosarito, less so. And, although there is a large gringo presence in Ensenada, it strikes me as being a functioning Mexican City that invites tourism. Rosarito, especially if considering earlier advice of living in a secure enclave, just seems to me to be more of a Gringo weekend, or retirement place.

That said, inasmuch as many gringos purchased overpriced (based on the US housing bubble) condos and homes in Rosarito, you can really get a great deal whether renting or buying, if you do your homework. Not quite so much so in Ensenada, as it seems that the farther South you go, there is less of a lockstep reaction to US fluctuations.
Old 01-12-11, 08:33 PM   #11
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Scott.........I agree with Bajahowodd on his above post..........please see your private message!!!

Teniente
Old 01-12-11, 08:43 PM   #12
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

Wow so much info

but I am really interested in more info about United Society of Baja California
can anyone send me contact info ???
Old 01-12-11, 09:27 PM   #13
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Just my opinion, but, Ensenada is a city. Rosarito, less so. And, although there is a large gringo presence in Ensenada, it strikes me as being a functioning Mexican City that invites tourism. Rosarito, especially if considering earlier advice of living in a secure enclave, just seems to me to be more of a Gringo weekend, or retirement place.

That said, inasmuch as many gringos purchased overpriced (based on the US housing bubble) condos and homes in Rosarito, you can really get a great deal whether renting or buying, if you do your homework. Not quite so much so in Ensenada, as it seems that the farther South you go, there is less of a lockstep reaction to US fluctuations.
VERY WELL said! I couldn't agree more. My preference would be Ensenada if I was going to be retiring there full time, for sure.
Old 01-12-11, 09:34 PM   #14
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipowell
Wow so much info

but I am really interested in more info about United Society of Baja California
can anyone send me contact info ???
USBC (The United Society of Baja California): Meet the 1st Saturday of each month, 10:00 a.m. at Salon Terraza, Rosarito Beach Hotel. The USBC is primarily a social group serving as the hub of information for the English speaking community in the Rosarito area. They donate to several local charities, publish a monthly newsletter, the Communicator, and hold monthly potlucks and social events.

For info contact Judy Westphal, President, at (661) 614-1113; e-mail: jawmem@msn.com

Old 01-12-11, 10:17 PM   #15
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

Rosarito Beach.........NOW is muy malo. You need to do some more research.............Please rent first.

Ken
Old 01-12-11, 10:19 PM   #16
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
VERY WELL said! I couldn't agree more. My preference would be Ensenada if I was going to be retiring there full time, for sure.
Ditto
Old 01-14-11, 10:39 AM   #17
BajaGringo

It is too bad because when I first moved there (Rosarito Beach) almost 10 years ago it was a great place. We were going to build there until I saw the wave of change that took over. We sold our lots we had planned to build on and moved further south. Let's hope that things will get turned around as I still have a lot of great friends up there and got to know a lot of very nice folks who really care about the town.

In the meantime though I would strongly suggest that you look at the south side of Ensenada - Punta Banda / Baja Country Club...

Old 01-14-11, 12:01 PM   #18
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
It is too bad because when I first moved there (Rosarito Beach) almost 10 years ago it was a great place. We were going to build there until I saw the wave of change that took over. We sold our lots we had planned to build on and moved further south. Let's hope that things will get turned around as I still have a lot of great friends up there and got to know a lot of very nice folks who really care about the town.

In the meantime though I would strongly suggest that you look at the south side of Ensenada - Punta Banda / Baja Country Club...
For a Baja Norte residence, Ensenada would be a safer choice.IMO

Ken
Old 01-15-11, 12:03 PM   #19
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Ensenada has so much more to offer and is still affordable. And, still close to the States when you need a stateside fix! It's just so much more sofisticated.
Old 01-15-11, 12:16 PM   #20
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Like most here say Ensenada has more curb appeal and with toll road you dont notice drive. Just yesterday I went to San diego for a Drs. app. left Punta Banda at 6-30 am. and was back home by 4-30 pm.
I live on the southside of the bay and there is a lot of good deals on rentals and or purchase right now.