Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 06-30-09, 05:43 AM   #1
Eva & David

Eva & David is on a distinguished road

Default Moving to Rosarito/Ensenada area. Need Info!

Hi!, my wife and I are looking to retire or should I say semi-retire in the Rosarito/Ensenada area April or May of 2010. We were in Rosarito a couple of weeks ago (only for the day) and liked what we saw. We have read everything we can find about the area but still have questions. Health insurance? Should we keep our policies or are there plans that are inexpensive available there? By the way, we are from Houston, TX. Also, is the crime what they say it is there or is it censationalized like the media does with everthing else? Approximate build cost for 3/2/2 house, ocean view with pool? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Any requirements to work in Mexico? Thank You!
Old 06-30-09, 05:55 AM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Moving to Rosarito/Ensenada area. Need Info!

Welcome to the board!!!!!....you have come to the right place to seek information on your Baja adventure.

As former long time (20 years) vacation visitors to Rosarito, we also looked into retirement there..........however Rosarito has changed, in our opinion, from a quaint town into a party town for the younger crowd.

We looked south and found a perfect place for us in Ensenada at the Baja Country Club (even though we don't golf.....yet). In 2005 we purhased and had constructed a 1950 sq ft 3 bedroom. 2 1/2 bath, 2 car enclosed gargage house on an oversized lot.....total price at that time was $164K....after we put in $9K worth of changes and upgrades. The pool is being completed, and the tennis courts are next. Gated with 24 hour security.

Baja Country Club & Real Estate Ensenada Mexico

We live about 4 miles from the nearest beach, shopping and medical care. Ensenada is a great town and has many cultural events to include the annual wine festival in August, and a very helpful ex-pat community.

Spending only one day in an area is not the right way to go about deciding where to live in Baja. Where ever you decide, I would recommend you find a small places in various areas to rent and spend as much time there in various seasons as you can to ensure you have selected to right area for you.....

Regarding health insurance, I would keep what you have if that is possible. You can check other posts on this board for insurance info.

Working in Baja will require a change in your FM-3 status (suggest getting a FM-3 rentista visa as soon as you get a place, even on a part-time basis).....there may be something on this board regarding working in Baja, or I'm sure others will chime in............

Mexico Mexican Visas Immigration FMT FM2 FM3 Visa

If you want more info, please send me a private message.

Last edited by Teniente; 06-30-09 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 07:45 AM   #3
Eva & David

Eva & David is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply! It's all very helpful as we are sponges for information. Regarding health insurance, it's our understanding that our health insurance is only valid while residing stateside. Once you become a permanent Mexcan resident then what do ex-pats do? Your community looks very nice, congratulations on your new home! We didn't realize Rosarito was a party town. We were hoping to find ocean view property. Any suggestions there? Thanks again!
Old 06-30-09, 09:59 AM   #4
Teniente

Well, regarding health insurance, I don't tell em when I am in Baja!!!!........

Check this thread on the subject...........

Medical Care - How do you deal with it in Baja? - TalkBaja.com - Baja Mexico Travel, Living and Retirement

When I broke my ankle at the Real del Mar golf course north of Rosarito, we just drove across the border to Chula Vista......no problems with Insurance. If that happened now in Ensenada, I would go to the hospital at the army base.

When we were looking for houses/property in Rosrito and Ensenada we really didn't like the selections available until we walked through the Loreto model at the Country Club.

South of Rosarito there are really some great views, but on hillsides with dirt roads that are impassable during rain, had to have water trucked in, hassles with building....the local regulations and paying the workers.....on and on.........

With existing homes, the cost of rehab and/or remodel (been there, done that) can get expensive and we didn't want to go that route again.

If you are thinking of building or living in Mexico, this book is a requirement.....

Amazon.com: God and Mr. Gomez: Jack C. Smith: Books

And if you are thinking of building or doing a remodel.....I would plan on being there 24/7 to ensure the job gets done the way YOU want it.
Old 06-30-09, 10:18 AM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva & David
Thanks for your reply! It's all very helpful as we are sponges for information. Regarding health insurance, it's our understanding that our health insurance is only valid while residing stateside. Once you become a permanent Mexcan resident then what do ex-pats do? Your community looks very nice, congratulations on your new home! We didn't realize Rosarito was a party town. We were hoping to find ocean view property. Any suggestions there? Thanks again!

Do you have to tell your HMO everything? They don't tell you everything. Be creative. You wont burn in hell for it.

As far as a homesite is concerned.......... Avoid severe isolation. Build or rent in a community. Safty in numbers and all that kind of stuff. An isolated house will be robbed in short order.
I'm sure that applies in the states as well....just so I don't get accused of fear-mongering.
Old 06-30-09, 10:32 AM   #6
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
....... An isolated house will be robbed in short order.........

Or burglarized
Old 06-30-09, 10:34 AM   #7
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Teniente;2379]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
....... An isolated house will be robbed in short order.........

Or burglarized

Oh....I thought they were the same thing. Is one with a living victim and the other an empty house or something like that?
Old 06-30-09, 10:45 AM   #8
Teniente

Technically, robbery is the taking of anything from a PERSON by force or fear...robbery is a felony
.....(bank robbery is a mis-nomer because a bank isn't a person....should be teller robbery!!!)

Burglary is the entering of a building and committing a theft....burglary is a felony
...........shoplifters could be prosecuted for burglary if there was pre-meditation
...............unless there is someone in the building, and then it could be robbery.

Theft is taking something you don't own from someplace
,,,,someone taking your bicycle from your yard would be a theft.........depending on value would be a misdemeanor or a felony

Gets complicated sometimes...........

I'm not an attorney, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-09, 02:17 PM   #9
Nighttrain

Nighttrain is on a distinguished road

Wink Re: Moving to Rosarito/Ensenada area. Need Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente

I'm not an attorney, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!!!!
Did Mrs. Teniente toss you out?
Old 06-30-09, 03:38 PM   #10
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
Did Mrs. Teniente toss you out?

Not yet
Old 06-01-10, 02:40 PM   #11
erasmo

erasmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva & David
HI we where in the process of getting, some health INS for Morgan with GNP at 37.000.00 pesos for the year, but we ran into a web page where it says with our FM 2 or 3 you can but INS with IMSS this is a gov INS at 300.00 per year. I want to say it was in International Living. My CPA is going to ck on this and I will let you know. Funny been here now over 8 years living and in and out for 20 years and I still get hit in the head from time to time, But over all it's good to live in Ensenada, as for ocean view properties there is alot in Ensenada. I'm from SA Texas and Morgan is from Reno Navada.
Old 06-01-10, 03:38 PM   #12
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

And there is a lot of beautiful property along the Rosarito-Ensenada corridor also, our community has ocean front homes from 130,000. ocean view for less and lots as well and is a very nice community, well with the exception of a couple of folks, but that's in every neighborhood!!!!!
Old 06-03-10, 08:34 AM   #13
erasmo

erasmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasmo
HI we where in the process of getting, some health INS for Morgan with GNP at 37.000.00 pesos for the year, but we ran into a web page where it says with our FM 2 or 3 you can but INS with IMSS this is a gov INS at 300.00 per year. I want to say it was in International Living. My CPA is going to ck on this and I will let you know. Funny been here now over 8 years living and in and out for 20 years and I still get hit in the head from time to time, But over all it's good to live in Ensenada, as for ocean view properties there is alot in Ensenada. I'm from SA Texas and Morgan is from Reno Navada.
Yes there is a INS with the IMSS for americans with an FM 2-3, for me it's 2200 pesos a year and it's the same health car they give all Mexican working.
Old 06-03-10, 09:33 AM   #14
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Or burglarized
LOL -- how does one rob a house, hold a gun up to the wall and say, "hand over the money, or I'll shoot!"

Sorry -- I'm always troubled by the misuse of the word "rob." "Rob," "steal" and "burglarize" each have different meanings.