Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 05-17-12, 04:01 PM   #1
Rondo

Rondo is on a distinguished road

Default New to Forum

Hi We are going to Los Barriles to an RV park for six months starting in October. Is it safe for us to travel alone in our RV? We will be towing a car with kayaks on top & traveling with 2 dogs. Is there a place we can go to meet up with other travellers?
Old 05-17-12, 05:28 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New to Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo
Hi We are going to Los Barriles to an RV park for six months starting in October. Is it safe for us to travel alone in our RV? We will be towing a car with kayaks on top & traveling with 2 dogs. Is there a place we can go to meet up with other travellers?
Welcome to TalkBaja. You'll be fine. Just don't drive at night.
Have a great trip.
Old 05-23-12, 09:50 AM   #3
Rondo

Hi -We are new to this forum. We live in AZ and have flown to Cabo many times. This year we are going to take our RV down to Los Barriles and stay at least 6 months starting around Oct 15th. We need all the information we can get about traveling in MX, where to spend the night on our way down and wondering if we need to get pesos to pay for gas. Ive already asked if it is safe to travel alone but wonder if it would be better to hook up with another RV.
The owner of the RV park told us we don't even need a tourist visa to stay there 6-8 months. He said as long as we have a passport we are fine, is this true?

Thank you in advance for all the info.

Rondo
Old 05-23-12, 10:01 AM   #4
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The owner of the RV park told us we don't even need a tourist visa to stay there 6-8 months. He said as long as we have a passport we are fine, is this true?
That is soo untrue it qualifies as a lie and that park owner knows it. I can't understand why he would say such a thing.

You are required to have the FMM / Tourist Permit if you are in the free zone [that's close to the border] for longer than a week and from day one when going south fom that zone.
You will need a passport to get the FMM.

By the way....the FMM is only good for 6 months, and extensions arn't common.

PS....Is it FMM or FMN now? Anyone out there know? Nothing ever happens down here, but things are constantly changing.
Old 05-23-12, 07:09 PM   #5
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Rondo

You each will need the FMM which is referred to as the "Tourist Card" or "Tourist Visa". It is good for a total of 180 days. The cost is about $23 US.however you MUST have pesos to purchase the card. You get the FMM from Mexican Immigration (INM). There will be an INM office in conjunction with Mexican Customs when you cross the border.

Since you will be in a motorhome, you will automatically be inspected......ask the customs inspector where the INM office is for the FMM. You fill out the FMM application in the INM office, go to the nearby bank, pay for it, then return to INM and have it stamped.

I STRONGLY suggest that you deal in Pesos when in Mexico. There are ATMs in most towns.....I also suggest that you use the ATMs in banks or larger supermarkets. Don't forget to call your bank and tell them that you will be in Baja for the duration of your trip and have them note that on your credit card accounts and your ATM card.......or else they may freeze the card(s).

If you let us know where you intend to cross into Mexico/Baja, we can give you specific information on routes, places to stay, gas up and eat,

I also suggest that you stop by your local Auto Club office or bookstore and pick up a road map of Baja.

PS: Since the owner of the RV park gave you bad information, you might want to check out or verify anything else he told you. He may be ignorant, or intentionally misled you.
Old 05-24-12, 07:06 AM   #6
Rondo

Thank you for all the good information. I will let you know when we get the exact date down. We have a spot rented for the first of Nov but the RV park owner said we can come earlier than that if we want so we are planning on leaving here around October 15th. We would like to cross over in Tecate and would love to know where to stay on our way down to Los Barriles.
Old 05-24-12, 08:34 AM   #7
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you for all the good information. I will let you know when we get the exact date down. We have a spot rented for the first of Nov but the RV park owner said we can come earlier than that if we want so we are planning on leaving here around October 15th. We would like to cross over in Tecate and would love to know where to stay on our way down to Los Barriles.

Maybe somebody can chime in here and explain how to get the FMM in Tecate. The below is a cut and paste from another forum.....

".....As you go through the (Tecate) border it (INM) is on right hand side, they now have a small bank across the street. I pulled through and parked on an area on the first side street, and ran in....."

"........The bank is across the street, 80 feet a small office. The guy will stamp the FMM and the bank gives a receipt paid. .the bank is new, just a small room, The INM guy gave me paperwork to do that. took five minutes, he spoke english... worked for me......"

You may have to look for a parking area for your MH as there is probably no room at INM or the bank.

If you are driving from Arizona and crossing at Tecate the first day, I would plan on stopping the first night in the Guadalupe Valley area. or Ensenada.

Here is some info on a RV campground between Tecate and Ensenada.......

".....The Sordo Mudo RV park is very easy to find. Kilometer 75 on Hwy 3….just north of Ensenada about 20 miles or so. Watch for that marker 75 and you can’t miss it.

It is a donation park and ‘usually’ someone comes over from the school to greet you, show you the ropes, and collect a donation. On our occasion nobody came. It was raining! Had a great overnight sleep, even picked up DirecTV on my 18” roof satellite.

This is one of my favorite campsites on the Baja Road…for many reasons. You won’t find any garbage laying around or blown into the trees here. Scenic, calm, and restful........"

Ensenada is a good place to stock up on supplies, gas and pesos. Plenty of large supermarkets and a great COSTCO
Old 05-25-12, 05:55 PM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Rondo, hmmmmm....let me take a wild stab at who that RV park owner could be! He LIED!!! Confirming what dennis & Teniente told you, you are legally required to obtain an FMM for travel anywhere south of Ensenada & for more than 72 hours. Get the FMM's for everyone in your party at the border, make sure they are issued for the full 180-days & keep them handy. If you decided to stay longer, you'll have to take your original FMM's to Immigration in either Cabo or La Paz & negotiate for new FMM's before your originals expire.

For safety sake, try to shoot for official campgrounds or populated areas rather than pulling off into the desert in more remote areas. Don't drive at night, the road is narrow enough to really stress you out during daylight hours, especially when you see a a bus or semi haul-assing toward you straddling the center line! Drive as far ahead as vision allows because there's never a place to pull off when/where you might need it. Know your rig well enough to be comfortable taking your passenger-side tires to the utmost edge of the pavement....inner tire with dualies! Many of us have lost driver's side mirrors on Hwy 1! It can be a hair-raising trip. Just take things slow & you'll be fine.

Keep all your outside access compartments locked at all times, especially when you stop & wander away from your rig & I'd recommend some type of locking mechanism for your kayaks (locking bike cable or equivalent) & a lock for your tow hitch. Better to be safe than sorry.

Keep your camera handy & take lots of pics of the amazing & ever-changing areas you'll see! Much more awesome experience driving than flying over!! You can do TJ to La Paz comfortably in 2 days, but that's really pushing it in a big rig & towing. Top off your gas every chance you get; there's one stretch that's approx 250 miles with NO stations!

As your departure date gets closer, let us know where you might have planned stops & we can be more helpful in those specific areas.
Old 05-27-12, 01:35 PM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Some great advice here in the thread. While it is true that many expats here live year round and never bother getting visas, it is illegal. The RV park owner may have been speaking on personal experience knowing what most of the gringos do. Here in Baja on the north end of the peninsula, getting a visa seems to be the exception, not the rule. I would make a rough guess that probably only 1 in 10 at most seem to bother with it and up until now most seem to be able to get away with it. It still doesn't make it right and not having one will limit your access to some services as well as put you in the position to suffer possible legal consequences. I guess some consider it a risk worth taking - I don't.

And welcome to the forum!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-27-12, 04:36 PM   #10
tortuga

tortuga is on a distinguished road

Dear Rondo,
You will have an awesome time. Yes the highway is still narrow in parts. But they are constantly improving it, As far as places to stay, we try to make Guerrero Negro or San Ignacio our first day. In Guerro Negro we have camped at Malarrimo in town. There is La Espinita on the Highway as you approach the big flag. Haven't stayed there, but it looks convenient. In San Ignacio we camp down by the river first place on left. Our friend swears by "Rice and Beans", right on highway.

One thing I have learned is that you don't always get as far as you hope and have to have alternatives.

Once we stayed at Santa Rosalalita (Hour or more north of Guerrero Negro) as we ran out of day light. We met and had dinner with the escalara project manager and his wife. Oh yea, and a few beers !

If you make it to Guerrero Negro and want an easy second day, Mulege (Maria's RV) or Conception Bay. We have stayed at Santispac, Buena Ventura, El Burro, El Requeson total Beautiful area.

We have a Baja travel book with us (Baja Handbook/Joe Cummings) and AAA Baja Map, Very helpful for finding places to stay and keeping track of how far we have to go.

Since we got our place (Los Barriles) we have always driven there. It is a long way for sure , but we have experienced some wonderful times on the way.
My hope is that you will also, it is a Beautiful place with very nice people along the way
Saludos, Tortuga

Last edited by tortuga; 05-28-12 at 07:25 AM.
tortuga
This message has been deleted by tortuga.
Old 09-14-12, 12:17 PM   #11
Rondo

Well the times has finally come for us to head down to Los Barriles. We will be crossing the border at Tecate around the 15th October. We think we will make it to El Rosario for our first night, San Ignacio for the second night, Santa Rita or Las Pocitas for the third night, then Los Barriles. Any and all suggestions for RV parking each night and anything else to help make our trip smoother will be appreciated. Do we need reservations at RV parks? We have a 26ft Trek towing a jeep with kayaks on the top and a Black & Tan Coonhound (BAHROOOO!) with us, I'm so excited but a little insecure about traveling in the RV down the Baja. Give me lots of suggestions!!! Thanks in advance
Old 09-14-12, 12:44 PM   #12
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

If it's your first time and especially with an RV I would suggest trying to coordinate your trip with others - caravaning.

Congratulations and good luck!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-17-12, 06:54 AM   #13
Rondo

Wow! Everyone says we will be fine by ourselves just don't drive at night. We don't know anyone else going down at that time and don't want to pay caravan prices. Will we be OK by ourselves?? We've Rv'd across the US many times and flown to Cabo many times just not RV'd down the Baja.
Old 09-17-12, 07:18 AM   #14
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

You'll be fine alone, sounds like you're an experienced RV'er. You have easy days planned. Just go for it!!
Old 09-17-12, 08:36 AM   #15
Rondo

Thank you, I needed to hear that!
Old 09-17-12, 01:09 PM   #16
mike99km

mike99km is on a distinguished road

I'd stay at the Posada about 1 hour north of El Rosario. Very good place and good People. You can make San Ignacio the following day. Very good food there or near by. Her's the link. Services. You'll be fine by yourself. remember to top off in San Qintin or El Rosario, It's a long way to the next fuel station. If you would like to chat about it call me. 909 223 1349
Mike McMullen
Old 09-18-12, 06:37 AM   #17
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Re: Getting your visa in Tecate.
We crossed there in February, and I was a bit bewildered trying to get our visas.
We went in on a Sunday, and there was no one in the visa office. The bank kiosk, which is just north of the visa office was open, and the guy who worked there was surprised to hear that the visa office was closed, because his only job was to take applicant's fees and give them a receipt.
We waited around for a couple of hours, bouyed by the promises of several folks who dropped by looking for the visa officer, that he would be back soon. Finally someone came who told us that the guy had gone home for lunch the day before, and never came back.

BTW, I think that you should consider parking your rig on the American side and walking over to get your visas. The "official" parking area for the visa office requires you to drive around the block after you go through the border check point. The first right is one way against you, so you need to take the 2nd right and go around the block to get back to the office parking. This is several one-car deep diagonal spaces. There is no parking across the street, but people did it the whole time we were waiting.

We ended up going into Ensenada, and getting our visas at the Port Captain's office. The officer there was very helpful, took our payment and gave us our visas on the spot. The office was pretty easy to find, but you should have no problem in Tecate provided you don't cross on a Sunday!

Do not pass El Rosario with anything less than 200 miles of fuel!

Have a great trip, you'll be fine.
Old 09-18-12, 10:22 AM   #18
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Don't even sweat driving alone. Not a big deal. I would stay the night at the Posada, too, since you have the RV.
Unless you really need that hour..... El Rosario is just not a big deal except for fuel.

You can adjust your driving daily.... I would just cruise... spend a night here and there.... heck, you've got 6 months.
Take a gander for a day at Concepcion Bay.
Old 09-19-12, 08:27 AM   #19
Rondo

Thank everyone, I will print your replys and take them with us. We will leave Surprise AZ on Sunday 10/15/12 & will stay at Potrero Park in San Diego County, drive our car to the border & get our Tourist Visa on Monday then cross in the RV on Tuesday. Mike99km-we will take your phone number with us or call before we leave. Thank you
Old 09-19-12, 01:59 PM   #20
Rondo

BTW-Does anyone know if you can pick up Direct TV with your in Los Barriles?