General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 09-12-12, 10:13 PM   #1
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

Default Exciting Baja Artist Showing in Ensenada in October

Exciting Baja Artist Showing in Ensenada in October - Directions added

On October 18, 2012 at 6:00pm our very good friend will have a showing of her artwork at the restaurant Ophelia's in Ensenada (actually a bit north of Ensenada in El Sauzal)

Beth is a long time resident of Baja California Sur and became a Mexican citizen a number of years ago. Today, she lives in Punta Chivato and in Bahia Asunción and is a wonderful artist!

The art work that will be offered on October 18 are her amazing Gyotaku Fish Prints and her fossil art jewelry.

The art of Japanese Gyotaku fish printing involves using a real fish so every print is unique and has a different personality. Beth has made this art form come alive!

Her fossil art jewelry is also unique and involves hours of work. Lots of sharks teeth and other fossils, like sand dollars (not from Mexico) are sanded and polished for hours, drilled and combined with various other minerals and or braided cords and turned into beautiful jewelry.

Examples? OK

The first two examples are not for sale as we already bought them. :-)

Mr. Trigger Fish

My Sharks tooth necklace with a tooth from South Carolina and turquoise from a mine in Arizona that is no longer open.

And a few pictures from Beth of some of her other work. It was difficult to pick just a few to add here. And I will probably add more when I bump this thread closer to the date. :-)

Just a sample and there will be more later as the date grows closer.

And as far as the restaurant Ophelia's, well it is considered one of the best in Ensenada ---

Hope that if you live in the Ensenada area, or close by, you will save this date to see, and maybe purchase, some really beautiful and unique art. And of course, it will be a time to meet the artist.

Ophelia's is on the west side of the main highway --- I will stop and take a picture on our way south.

Last edited by DianaT; 09-19-12 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 06:39 AM   #2
jefsan

jefsan is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Exciting Baja Artist Showing in Ensenada in October

Very nice artwork indeed. Does she have a website by any chance?
Old 09-13-12, 07:16 AM   #3
DianaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefsan
Very nice artwork indeed. Does she have a website by any chance?
Unfortunately no website.

Her work is even nicer in person.
Old 09-19-12, 01:25 PM   #4
DianaT

Directions to Ophelias

It is 3 +/- miles south of the last toll road station and on the west side of the highway.

It is a little difficult to see from the highway until you pass it because it sits back off the highway. But the landmarks are easy to spot.

A couple of quick snapshots.

Just north of where the parking lot is and easy to spot ---

And just south is another restaurant whose sign is easy to spot.

We are still looking for a dog friendly hotel close by???

Thanks
Old 09-20-12, 12:55 PM   #5
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Really beautiful pieces ... and the paintings are very nice also ... enjoy the use of textures and colors to render .. thanks much

really liked "your" sharks tooth ,very nice
Old 09-21-12, 09:19 AM   #6
Simon Loftus

Simon Loftus is on a distinguished road

That white building is a real monstrosity. Is it a prison? The windows all look to be so small.

Beautiful art though. I really like the pictures with the multiple fish, and the signature of a little seahorse is a nice touch.
Old 10-07-12, 11:18 AM   #7
DianaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Loftus
That white building is a real monstrosity. Is it a prison? The windows all look to be so small.

Beautiful art though. I really like the pictures with the multiple fish, and the signature of a little seahorse is a nice touch.
That ugly building does look like a prison --- but it is a condo building. I agree that it is a real monstrosity --- then again, it does make for an easy to see landmark.

Time to bump this thread for any of you in the area --- October 18, at 6:pm. Her work is well worth seeing, and buying.
Old 10-07-12, 11:21 AM   #8
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

The fish are beautiful and I have never seen a sand dollar like that pendant. Great stuff. thanks.
Old 10-07-12, 12:49 PM   #9
DianaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
The fish are beautiful and I have never seen a sand dollar like that pendant. Great stuff. thanks.

You are close by --- bring some friends and check it out in person. -- It is even better in person.
Old 10-07-12, 01:13 PM   #10
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Cristina is always on the lookout for "perfect" sand dollars down here. She loved the one in that pendant...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-09-12, 04:29 PM   #11
Woooosh

"Perfect" sand dollars and beach glass are the only things we pick up on beach walks (ok-we found a MRE once (Meal Ready to Eat- and we did). Almost as pretty as abalone shells- but you're probably up to your ears in them. btw: Have you found a buyer for the abalone shells (either for calcium or crafts) or are most of yours still alive (hopefully).
Old 10-09-12, 05:36 PM   #12
BajaGringo

We currently have over 100,000 alive and growing in our tanks. We have transplanted over 30,000 out at San Martin Island and hopefully by years end we will have much more in our tanks and over 100,000 transplanted out at the island. We are working on getting another 48 tanks ready for the abalone seed to come.

The abalone shells from the eventual, limited harvest will all stay here to be used by a local women's artisan group that we started and funded.

It's incredible what they can make out of mother of pearl...

Old 10-09-12, 10:07 PM   #13
Woooosh

That's really great about supporting your local artisan group. Nice job!
Old 10-10-12, 08:03 AM   #14
BajaGringo

Cristina is really quite creative and a founding member of the group. So you know that I really had no choice in the matter...

Old 10-13-12, 08:44 PM   #15
DianaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo

The abalone shells from the eventual, limited harvest will all stay here to be used by a local women's artisan group that we started and funded.

It's incredible what they can make out of mother of pearl...
Yes it is. Some of the inmates at the Santa Rosalia do some incredible work with the mother of pearl. When we were involved with our local bike club, they had a plaque made for us at the prison --- tiny pieces for the letters and the cutest little bike! Best of luck to the women!

And this is also a bump for this thread as the event is this coming Thursday. And I know a couple of people who will be there from the San Quintin area --- my sister and a friend from Costa Brava. Also, when my sister was in Bahia Asuncion with other residents from Costa Brava, they ALL went home with some of Beth's art work.

Due to some medical issues, we can't attend this event, but then again, we can add to our collection when we are in Bahia Asuncion.
Old 10-14-12, 08:27 AM   #16
BajaGringo

We are scheduled to be in Ensenada on the 17th - will definitely try to push my calendar forward to be able to stay and make the event. I'll post some photos if I am able to do do...

Old 10-14-12, 09:03 AM   #17
DianaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
We are scheduled to be in Ensenada on the 17th - will definitely try to push my calendar forward to be able to stay and make the event. I'll post some photos if I am able to do do...
That would be nice. If you can be there, you will also meet Jean from the Bahia Asuncion B & B as she is going with Beth.