General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 10-26-12, 10:01 AM   #1
mskitty

mskitty is on a distinguished road

Default Fishing?

So, what's the deal with fishing down there? Not hire a charter boat offshore fishing, but say this little old lady wanted to just go out and catch a fish for dinner, or even pretend to do the same. I know that's going to vary by location, but let's use Ensenada/Punta Banda as an example.

Can you do it without a boat? I'm not strong enough for surf casting, don't think (never had tons of upper body strength). Are there other ways? What do you catch?

This is not something that is crucial to my life, but I love fresh seafood and like to fish, so I'm curious.
Old 10-26-12, 10:27 AM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Fishing?

I do my fishing at the market. Haven't had a bad day yet.
Old 10-26-12, 11:19 AM   #3
mskitty

Ah, but that takes all the fun out of it!

But seriously, you probably do have good, fresh fish in the markets down there. Around here, it's mostly farm raised, often dyed pink, or flown in frozen from the corners of the earth, so I don't eat much of it. My dad was a serious fisherman, so I grew up eating fresh fish we caught in local rivers and ponds, but I'm not so sure I'd dare to do that these days. No telling what toxins are in those waterways! But fish or seafood right out of the Pacific? Yum.
Old 10-26-12, 12:27 PM   #4
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Dennis's way is the only way to fish. Never get skunked.
Old 10-26-12, 12:29 PM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I love to go out fishing with friends. Sometimes we catch a few and often we catch a lot. Never had a bad fishing trip yet, even on the very rare occasion we get skunked. We always share a lot of laughs and good times...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-26-12, 01:05 PM   #6
mskitty

Yep -- its about the doing of it as much as it is the catching of something. If I get skunked, there's always something else to eat for dinner.