General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 12-23-12, 08:24 PM   #1
quail333

quail333 is on a distinguished road

Default auto body on Rosarito visit

What about this idea, I live in a rural area by myself so it is hard to get auto body work done, what about having auto body work done in Rosarito for two days while I am staying at Los Pelicano's on the beach. I found a listing for three different auto body shops in Rosarito. I had work done in TJ 10 years ago and that worked out OK, although I did get suckered into bringing an alien across with me back to USA, live and learn! Any thoughts about leaving my vehicle and the quality /cost of work done would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-12, 09:00 PM   #2
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Default Re: auto body on Rosarito visit

Probably depends on what your idea is of quality. Body work and paint have come a long way in ten years.
Old 12-24-12, 10:47 AM   #3
quail333

It is my beloved 85 Toyota long bed pickup, just want it bumped out, bondoed, primered and ready for paint.
Old 12-26-12, 08:18 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quail333
...although I did get suckered into bringing an alien across with me back to USA, live and learn!
So did the body shop seal him into a fender???

Sorry, but I had to ask...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-27-12, 03:31 PM   #5
quail333

In the afternoon at the body shop a friendly American guy introduced me to his friend and we vaguely talked about him getting a ride. Promptly at closing he showed up wearing beach wear like me ready to go. It did not dawn on me what was happening until the guy insisted aggressively that I take him about ten minutes off the freeway close to where he was going when I just wanted to drop him off at the exit. Very slick con.
Old 12-29-12, 09:06 PM   #6
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quail333
In the afternoon at the body shop a friendly American guy introduced me to his friend and we vaguely talked about him getting a ride. Promptly at closing he showed up wearing beach wear like me ready to go. It did not dawn on me what was happening until the guy insisted aggressively that I take him about ten minutes off the freeway close to where he was going when I just wanted to drop him off at the exit. Very slick con.
And that convinced you that he was an illegal alien - or I am missing part of the story???

Old 12-30-12, 04:22 PM   #7
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
And that convinced you that he was an illegal alien - or I am missing part of the story???
I have a nephew who was partying in TJ and unknowingly took an illegal back over the border. Then he compounded it by saying he was a US Citizen (he only had a green card his mother had taken away so he wouldn't go to TJ!) ) He spent a few months in Jail and was then deported- for being stupid. You were lucky. The driver is responsible for everything in the vehicle.
Old 12-31-12, 09:02 AM   #8
quail333

I am not some kind of liberal, when I did the punk a favor and he got aggressive I realized things did not add up.
Old 12-31-12, 09:04 AM   #9
quail333

Still looking for recommendation for auto body work in Rosarito. The numbers on the listings I found do not seem to work. Thanx
Old 01-03-13, 09:36 AM   #10
BajaGringo

There is a shop I used (and happy with) directly across the street from the northern-most Calimax on Benito Juarez. Ask at the veterinary shop where it is.

Old 01-03-13, 10:37 AM   #11
Woooosh

My friend uses that same body shop for his Jeep. It is the next street south of the Granero/Calimax intersection a few buildings in from the main drag on the north side of the street. They speak English too.
Old 01-03-13, 10:40 AM   #12
BajaGringo

They did a super job on my beemer back in the day when I could drive on paved streets. One of the few things I miss of my life north...

Old 01-03-13, 11:52 AM   #13
Woooosh

Sadly- we all had to leave our nice toys at the border. They did a good job on my buddy's Jeep. He brought a bike down with him, stayed at our house and rode over to the body shop to check their progress. By the time Quail333 gets here- we'll probably have photos posted of the place for him. :)
Old 01-04-13, 08:54 AM   #14
BajaGringo

I brought the 740i down to Baja and actually found a very good mechanic in Rosarito who took excellent care of the car in my years living in Rosarito. I did have to sell her though once we decided to make the move down to San Quintin. Too few paved roads - you need 4x4 with ground clearance to get out to our stretch of the beach.

I do miss driving her on the toll road though - that vehicle could truly fly and hugged the road like nothing else I've ever driven...

Old 01-04-13, 10:20 AM   #15
quail333

Hey, thanks you guys, I appreciate your generosity. The idea of bringing a bicycle down and going over to check progress sounds just right. I am looking at a crude Rosarito map, just south of the northernmost gas station is the street Sanchez, I do not see the street you mentioned. I think it would be good to be able to negotiate the deal with a quote using digital photos and then make a reservation. Why not use the tools available, so, if I had a name or phone number. Thanx.
Old 01-04-13, 11:04 AM   #16
Woooosh

I will swing by there today. You sound serious about doing this and we'll head you in the right direction. It's what we do... ;)
Old 01-04-13, 01:50 PM   #17
Woooosh

Here you go. Don't worry too much that Frank can't spell his own name. No e-mail- just a walkie-talkie. I don't think Mexico is ready for virtual body shop quotes yet.

One block south of the Calimax and directly across from the Copel department store.

Old 01-04-13, 03:16 PM   #18
quail333

OK, that is great, they probably have internet, we will see. Also my map says 'free road' instead of Benito Juarez so now I get it.
Old 01-04-13, 04:58 PM   #19
quail333

Thanks again, I should be able to find it alright. The telephone number on that sign I tried in the form 011 52 661 613 1564 but no luck. It sure would be nice to make an arrangement first but maybe that is just the yuppie in me, I will probably have to negotiate on the spot as usual.
Old 01-05-13, 03:42 PM   #20
BajaGringo

I doubt any body shop down here will give an estimate over the phone. Invest the time to go down and get an estimate - that shop does nice work...