Baja Art, Music, Culture & Literature Much More Than You Think...

Old 02-24-13, 07:14 PM   #1
sargentodiaz

sargentodiaz is on a distinguished road

Smile A Novel About the History of California

Bluewood Publishing of Christchurch, New Zealand has released Book One of Father Serra's Legacy, The Sailor and The Carpenter.

Dale Day, a retired U.S. Army Master Sergeant and California native has written this epic series about the efforts of pious Franciscan friars and brave Spanish soldiers to explore the California wilderness in the late 18th Century. Book One is about the Franciscans assuming control of the Jesuit missions in Lower (Baja) California and their trek north to the Ti Wan river, just south of present day San Diego.

****Timothy Beadle’s father indentures him to a ship’s captain and he soon is in Mid-Atlantic on his way to the far north-western shores of The New World. Padding the deck and climbing the rigging is exhilarating to the young English farm boy. The captain is a fair, God-fearing man who ensures Timothy also learns reading, writing and arithmetic. Strange islands and naked savages fill Timothy with curiosity and wonder.

****** Fate has more changes in store for Timothy. As the ships sails home with holds full of rich furs, a cyclone hits and Timothy ends up on the shores of Spanish California. Rescued by a young Indian boy, Jaime, and treated by the village medicine woman, Timothy is taken before grey robed priests, who offer him sanctuary when a local official ties to imprison him as a pirate.

****** Jaime had dreamed of Timothy’s arrival months before. Both sense the blood bond that ties them together and they unite in an effort, led by Father Junipero Serra, to expand the catholic faith and Spain’s control of the Californias.

The novel is available for purchase in paperback and e-book formats @ bluewoodpublishing.com. *Will also be available on-line at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple and most other e-book or online stores.

Your reviews and comments can be posted on Dale's blog @ Father Serra's Legacy

The Sailor and The Carpenter now available @
E-book The Sailor And The Carpenter- Dale Day - $2.99 : BlueWood Publishing!

Paperback The Sailor And The Carpenter- Dale Day - PRINT - $13.99 : BlueWood Publishing!

Smashwords A book by Dale Day

Amazon.com The Sailor And The Carpenter: Dale Day: 9781927220061: Amazon.com: Books

The Sailor And The Carpenter: Father Serras Legacy Series, Book 1 eBook: Dale Day: Amazon.co.uk: Books and other international Amazon.com sites.

BARNES & NOBLE | The Sailor And The Carpenter by Dale Day | Paperback [no cover image]
Old 02-25-13, 09:14 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: A Novel About the History of California

I just bought the book on Amazon. Will give a review once I get it and have a chance to read it. Congratulations!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-26-13, 01:17 PM   #3
sargentodiaz

Do you have anything to do with the Gringo Gazette?
Old 02-26-13, 01:25 PM   #4
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz
Do you have anything to do with the Gringo Gazette?
Interesting question. Why would you ask that?
Old 02-27-13, 06:25 PM   #5
sargentodiaz

Smile Re: A Novel About the History of California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Interesting question. Why would you ask that?
Because, I was planning on posting an announcement of the novel there.
Old 02-27-13, 08:19 PM   #6
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: A Novel About the History of California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I just bought the book on Amazon. Will give a review once I get it and have a chance to read it. Congratulations!
Please do a review of our mission book, as well... ;)
Old 02-28-13, 08:21 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I need to do that!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-28-13, 06:38 PM   #8
sargentodiaz

Smile Re: A Novel About the History of California

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Please do a review of our mission book, as well... ;)
I've only read excerpts at this point but would give it five stars out of five for accuracy. I also found the information posted on the various missions most helpful. It allowed me to make it seem alive when I placed my characters there.

They were also extremely helpful in writing Leatherjacket Soldier.
Old 02-28-13, 07:03 PM   #9
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz
I've only read excerpts at this point but would give it five stars out of five for accuracy. I also found the information posted on the various missions most helpful. It allowed me to make it seem alive when I placed my characters there.

They were also extremely helpful in writing Leatherjacket Soldier.
Thank you Dale, that is very kind of you... I put a lifetime of love for the missions and El Camino Real behind my work on the book with Max and Erline. Max was impressed with my web site pages on the missions, visitas, and Camino Real http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions and we worked well together to finish the book had had started years ago, after writing his El Camino Real (and its bells) book... The Baja missions are nearly always overlooked or unmentioned by authors of California mission books... The California missions (those in the United States today) were an extension of the 18 missions already founded in Baja California (1697-1769)... not to mention the term 'California missions' having some exclusive connection only to America's California! 'Baja' was California first, after all!

I hope you have great success with this book and your future books, too! Do utilize my web pages if you need to visualize any of the Baja missions or the route of El Camino Real. In my office here, I have the Jesuit Camino Real mapped on topo maps from nearly the cieling to the floor... the route as seen on Google Earth then penned onto the maps... the route has been well documented by missionaries, travelers of the 1800's and by modern authors/ explorers such as Howard Gulick and Harry Crosby (both of their map series on ECR are online, too)

For you interest my El Camino Real wall! North (Santa María) to south (Loreto) (The arrows point to places where I have saved the Google Earth image of the trail):