Forum Feedback / Announcements Forum news and your questions/comments...

Old 02-25-13, 03:25 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default TalkBaja is now on facebook

Talk Baja Group

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-25-13, 04:45 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: TalkBaja is now on facebook

That's great Ron!

Mexico is in love with FaceBook. My nephew was mountain biking back in the hills of Rosarito Saturday and ran into a Rosarito bike shop owner who set up a mtn bike race course. He stages free races and gives tips. He let Emilio ride the courses and play with his friends. The same night he had the photos up on his FaceBook page( https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...1019698&type=3 ).

There are many local (Baja Norte) small clubs and groups who have well developed FaceBook pages. It must be an interface that agrees with them.

Last edited by Woooosh; 02-25-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 06:58 PM   #3
BajaGringo

I know - it's amazing how many people here who are on fb. It really is taking over Mexico...

Old 02-26-13, 08:20 AM   #4
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Can someone explain ...

How would a facebook page for a "group" differ from a forum like TalkBaja? Is the FB page actually BajaGringo's page, but it's separate from his personal page ? I mean, BajaGringo are you sort of the host of the FB page or do you look for others to initiate topics etc?

Just curious how the different media fit in or overlap, if they do. And Twitter- I haven't a clue what that's about.

It's amazing how popular FB is in the nearby pueblo- population 500. There is rarely a cell phone signal here so I doubt anyone posts that way and only a couple people have sat. internet and the town electricity is only on a couple hours in the am and a few hours in the pm. Many of the homes in town still use outhouses but seems like everybody is on FB or "Fa-ice" as they say.
Old 02-26-13, 09:12 AM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ola!! I was beginning to feel like the only person who doesn't use Facebook, MySpace or any of the multitude of other "Social Networks"....nor do I feel the least bit deprived to not Tweet or Twitter!

BG, if it's all the same to you, I think some of us oldie goldies will just stick with this old-fangled forum technology!
Old 02-26-13, 09:23 AM   #6
BajaGringo

I created the TalkBaja group from my own personal facebook account. My reasons for doing so were to acknowledge the requests I have received from some who only use their iPhones and other such mobile media to access the internet. Facebook is extremely mobile web friendly and by creating a TalkBaja group where we can post photos, stories and other forum related events many more will have access to that material. It is open for any group member to post there - all you need to do is request acceptance into the group.

I hear you Legz and believe me when I say that the last thing I need is something else to take care of but the results speak for themselves. The group is less than 24 hours old and has already experienced a large volume of activity for being so new. I suppose that is because everything that is posted, commented on or "liked" there is immediately seen by not only the members of the group but all their friends as well. I received over 30 requests to join the forum yesterday by "friends of friends" who saw their posts.

That is the power of facebook...

Old 02-26-13, 09:32 AM   #7
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Different strokes … I suppose it's a good marketing strategy for those seeking wider exposure, but I won't be visiting any page that requires a Facebook login. I joined a while back at the urging of a friend and ended up deleting my account. Too invasive and creepy, but then I'm antisocial.
Old 02-26-13, 05:32 PM   #8
oladulce

oladulce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Different strokes … I suppose it's a good marketing strategy for those seeking wider exposure, but I won't be visiting any page that requires a Facebook login. I joined a while back at the urging of a friend and ended up deleting my account. Too invasive and creepy, but then I'm antisocial.
Wooo facebooks more than I do- it's very popular with people he worked with and he enjoys reading what they're up to. I have an account and at first it was interesting to get in touch with people I went to elementary school with and read what relatives are doing but I don't read it much now and rarely post anything there. If I owned an iphone, and if there was cell overage here, we could put up on-the-spot pics of us doing exciting stuff like going to the dump. Otherwise i don't do anything interesting enough. Facebook is interesting but I do have to remind myself that even with my "privacy settings" as secure as possible, it's my real full name, school history, work history etc and I'm not entirely sure what kind of damage could be done with that info in the wrong hands. I did remove my birthdate from my info on FB- duh, what was I thinking to have my name a b-day in one place!
Old 02-26-13, 07:53 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oladulce
...I did remove my birthdate from my info on FB- duh, what was I thinking to have my name a b-day in one place!
You would probably be amazed to find out then how many databases that you are listed on have given access to that exact information. Don't believe me? Here is just one example site available - enter your information and see what comes up???

Intelius People Search