General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 02-25-13, 08:08 PM   #1
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default US Consul General Meet & Greet in Ensenada

The US Consul General Andrew Erickson is holding a Meet & Greet on Tuesday March 5th in Ensenada. You can email any questions you want him to address when you RSVP. It's very cool he is this approachable.

Last edited by Woooosh; 02-25-13 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 08:41 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: US Consul General Meet & Greet in Ensenada

That is really cool.

I have spent a lot of time living and working overseas in different parts of the globe but have never seen a high ranking consulate representative, much less the consul general be so accessible and interested in connecting with what is going on with the expats living outside the consulate walls.

I take my hat off to this guy.

he has been giving some pretty open and frank interviews to the local press as well - they seem to be enjoying the increased access as well...

Destaca cónsul progreso de Tijuana y BC en seguridad

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-26-13, 10:36 PM   #3
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
That is really cool.

I have spent a lot of time living and working overseas in different parts of the globe but have never seen a high ranking consulate representative, much less the consul general be so accessible and interested in connecting with what is going on with the expats living outside the consulate walls.

I take my hat off to this guy.

he has been giving some pretty open and frank interviews to the local press as well - they seem to be enjoying the increased access as well...

Destaca cónsul progreso de Tijuana y BC en seguridad
It's very good for us ex-pats that the US Consul General is reaching out. I hope people take advantage of it. I've had the privilege of meeting him and he is a quick study on Baja for sure. Fresh eyes with a strong background. We lucked in this time.
Old 02-26-13, 10:50 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

"Lucked In"...

Gonna borrow that one if you don't mind...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-06-13, 01:08 PM   #5
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
"Lucked In"...

Gonna borrow that one if you don't mind...

Sure! consider it yours. Did any TalkBaja members make it to the Consul General's Town Hall meeting in Ensenada yesterday?
Old 03-07-13, 04:09 PM   #6
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Sure! consider it yours. Did any TalkBaja members make it to the Consul General's Town Hall meeting in Ensenada yesterday?
Yup, sure did. He (Andrew Erickson) seems like a nice guy. Very easy to talk to.

Some highlights:

Based on US and Mexican government info and data, the best "guesstimate" is there are an estimated 250 thousand Americans living in Baja (full time and part time).

Outlined the duties of the Consular Mission as that of assistance and support of Americans visiting and living in Baja. The Consulate American Citizen Services assistance desk can be reached by:

Contact Citizen Services U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico

Promised that any correspondence to the above address will be answered by staff.

Said that the web site Welcome to Travel.State.Gov can answer many of the questions that americans living/visiting abroad may have.

Urged that americans living/travelling abroad should visit the State department STEP web site and register. Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Said that in the event of a death of a US citizen, the Consular office can assist in many ways and relieve the family of burdens in contacting Social Security, Veteran's Affairs, assisting in obtaining death certificates, disposition of remains, travel/transportation documents for remains.

Stated that DHS/CBP were committed to the priority and staffing of the SENTRI lanes during the sequestration cutbacks

Answered many questions from the audience
Old 03-07-13, 11:56 PM   #7
Woooosh

It's great that you went. That 250,000 "expats in Baja" number always seems high to me, but his number includes the Mexican born dual nationals. A lot of Tijuaneros are dual citizens and I think the State department considers anyone living outside the USA and holding a US passport to be an expat. If they are citizens and eligible for Consulate services he counts them.

Anyone have any questions that made him sound "more diplomatic" than others? Any hot topics from the Ensenada area expats?

Last edited by Woooosh; 03-08-13 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-08-13, 09:36 PM   #8
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Urged that americans living/travelling abroad should visit the State department STEP web site and register. Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
What are the benefits of registering?
Old 03-08-13, 09:52 PM   #9
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum
What are the benefits of registering?
Click on the link