Driving in Baja Do We Need a Permit? / Traffic Laws / Crooked Cops

Old 03-16-13, 08:15 PM   #1
Baja13

Baja13 is on a distinguished road

Default Importing a Japanese car

Hi guys,

I'm new to this board and I'm glad I found it! I will be receiving my permanent
Residency card in a few months. I will be moving to the La Paz area and had heard
It is a little difficult to import a vehicle with a vin number beginning with J.
Because its in Baja would that make it easier than say importing it to the mainland?
Any advise would e greatly appreciated! Baja13
Old 03-16-13, 11:14 PM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Importing a Japanese car

http://www.banderasnews.com/0904/vl-autoimport.htm

Vehicles with a J vin number (manufactured in Japan) do not qualify for importation into Mexico....neither Mainland, nor Baja.
Old 03-17-13, 12:10 AM   #3
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Importing a Japanese car

It may be possible to import it as a "fronteriza", i.e., a vehicle that can circulate on the Baja peninsula and (I think) the border area of Sonora. These cars are legal and carry local plates but can't be taken to the mainland, at least not without a special permit, and can't be nationalized for use country-wide. You'd have to check with a customs broker or agent to find out whether Japanese cars are still eligible. My Suzuki has a VIN beginning with "J" but was imported through a broker in 1997 by a previous owner. It has BCS "fronteriza" plates (as do at least half the vehicles in La Paz).