Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-05-13, 08:46 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default A great honor....

Today, my close friend and business partner, Reyes Guerrero Sandoval was elected the new president of the Unión Nacional de Pesca y Acuicultura (National Union of Fisheries and Aquaculture). He took the oath of office at the camara de diputados (house of representatives) in Mexico City late this afternoon. It is a very prestigious position and from that office he will be given broad access to all levels of government, up to and including the president of Mexico.

Felicidades amigo!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-05-13, 09:32 PM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: A great honor....

Congratulations to Reyes!!
Old 04-05-13, 09:53 PM   #3
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Congrats!!!
Old 04-05-13, 10:42 PM   #4
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

Hooray! I hope he can keep his nose clean in a filthy (political) environment.
Old 04-06-13, 06:31 AM   #5
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Congratulations, Reyes!
Old 04-06-13, 07:46 AM   #6
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMer
Hooray! I hope he can keep his nose clean in a filthy (political) environment.
Reading your many negative posts about Mexico maybe you should not move "down here" as Mexicans are good at picking up negativity towards them and their systems and react accordingly. Alan
Old 04-06-13, 09:38 AM   #7
DebMer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicaliAlan
Reading your many negative posts about Mexico maybe you should not move "down here" as Mexicans are good at picking up negativity towards them and their systems and react accordingly. Alan
Many negative posts? I've lived in Mexico, am fluent in Spanish and love the country, its culture and its people. I still have friends, people I consider family, in D.F.

Maybe you're mistaking my negativism toward government (which I generally perceive as corrupt and a strongly corrupting influence, with few exceptions) as negativism about Mexico.
Old 04-06-13, 11:42 AM   #8
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is not a negative site, nor is it a pro-Baja fluff site, it is simply TalkBaja- where all viewpoints are welcomed and encouraged. If you are going to accuse someone, kindly post the links to support your argument so it doesn't look like you are the negative one with a chip on your shoulder of unknown origin and size.

Seems like poaching is on the uptick in your area BG, I hope Reyes' clout can apply some pressure to address and resolve it.

Last edited by Woooosh; 04-06-13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-06-13, 02:23 PM   #9
Doc Rey

Doc Rey is on a distinguished road

Very cool. Remember, any friend of yours...
Old 04-09-13, 07:25 AM   #10
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
This is not a negative site, nor is it a pro-Baja fluff site, it is simply TalkBaja- where all viewpoints are welcomed and encouraged. If you are going to accuse someone, kindly post the links to support your argument so it doesn't look like you are the negative one with a chip on your shoulder of unknown origin and size.

Seems like poaching is on the uptick in your area BG, I hope Reyes' clout can apply some pressure to address and resolve it.
I get tired of people stating as a fact all people in Mexico and all people involved in Mexican politics are corrupt and to me this is not even close to the truth and has changed even more the last 10 years. If people say these things are true I have to say something.

Blanket statements that are taken from samplings are a joke at best. At worst are slandering Mexicans´ character in general. Alan

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 04-09-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 09:49 AM   #11
Woooosh

Quote:
I get tired of people stating as a fact all people in Mexico and all people involved in Mexican politics are corrupt and to me this is not even close to the truth and has changed even more the last 10 years. If people say these things are true I have to say something.

Blanket statements that are taken from samplings are a joke at best. At worst are slandering Mexicans´ character in general. Alan
If someone does say ALL Mexican people and politicians are corrupt- they are wrong. I've never seen anyone post that and you haven't given us an example. But let's move on. The current results of narco crime, cronyism and corruption are undeniable. People are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Many of us expats have been crime victims here, but so are our Mexican neighbors. The difference is Mexicans are allowed to get involved in politics and fix their problems, while we expats are prohibited by law from doing so here- we're just spectators and on-line commentators. Perhaps people post negative things out of frustration over the lack of control they have in the security situation around them. It's not the people and politicians I worry about here in Rosarito, it's the rising crime from the influx of deportees and the corrupt police. That's my personal opinion from my own documented experiences dealing with them. What I have seen and experienced isn't how people want to spend their retirements. How long are we supposed to wait for Mexicans to fix México enough so tourists and investors will return? Whatever Mexico is doing so far isn't enough, but you are correct that not ALL Mexicans are the problem. Perhaps just the most powerful and influential ones in the Teacher's Union, Military and Government- while the rest of the Mexican people are either too afraid, apathetic or intimidated to demand change from them. The people that do speak out seem to get crushed. Internet sites like" Valor por Tamaulipas" are being intimidated to shut down and free speech isn't free her right now. Let us know what you are doing to fix Mexico, not defend how it is today. It would be good to read stories about positive change. I do see glimmers of hope or I wouldn't be here.

Last edited by Woooosh; 04-09-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-09-13, 06:00 PM   #12
DebMer

I was speaking of politics in general, not Mexican politics. It's true that my general view of politicians is very negative, based on the way I see people in power continuously making decisions and taking actions that hurt the people they are supposed to serve because it benefits them financially and politically.

This is why I expressed pleasure at the announcement of a good man in a position of authority ("Hooray!") and the hope that he will maintain his integrity as temptations and unethical opportunities come his way (" I hope he can keep his nose clean in a filthy (political) environment.").
Old 04-09-13, 08:03 PM   #13
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The difference is Mexicans are allowed to get involved in politics and fix their problems,

Aside from armed revolution, can you give just one example of that happening here?
Old 04-09-13, 08:19 PM   #14
DENNIS

Quote:

The toilet in which Mexican politicians swim is slanderous, Alan. It's an environment where the good won't/can't survive. They must adapt........or perish from obscurity......or worse.

Hank Rhon's father said it best when he was a heavy hitter politico in DF: "A politician who is poor, is a poor politician."
Old 04-09-13, 11:03 PM   #15
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Aside from armed revolution, can you give just one example of that happening here?
Nope. Just because Mexicans have the right to get involved, it doesn't mean they ever will. There are many small groups that protest and raise awareness for worthy causes. Damage control is no substitute for economic prosperity and security though.

I can appreciate DebMar's position. It's no stretch to say all governments seem to be failing their people in the political arena, all the world's economies are a mess, and no where in the world is as safe as we'd like it to be these days. So much change in such a short period of time- mere decades. We post our frustrations on-line because we love our dogs too much to kick them.
Old 04-10-13, 07:30 AM   #16
DENNIS

Quote:

Nope. Just because Mexicans have the right to get involved, it doesn't mean they ever will.
I guess rights without ability are meaningless.
I can't think of a more compelling reason for citizens to want to be armed.
Old 04-10-13, 09:30 AM   #17
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I guess rights without ability are meaningless.
I can't think of a more compelling reason for citizens to want to be armed.
They have the right and ability, but apparently not the will. There are some vigilante groups springing up- Maggie has even enlisted a group of four big men at SADM who patrol their Baja gated community because break-ins are becoming so common. I doubt they are armed, but who knows? When people act out of desperation to protect their homes, family and property it's hard to convince others to invest down here. Tourists are safe enough if they get out before dark and stay west of the toll road. The rats come out at night.
Old 04-10-13, 12:42 PM   #18
DENNIS

Quote:
They have the right and ability, but apparently not the will.
No ability.
Democracy in Mexico is a myth. The factions in contention for the throne, cartels and wealth, are outside the influence of the vote. Leaders of both groups have made the Forbes list of uber wealthy so why would they need support of the populace?

Without the ability, why would they have the will? Seems like such a waste of emotion.