Baja Kitchen & Bar Recipes Kahlua, Cactus, Tequila, Hot Sauce and a Cuisinart

Old 05-15-13, 03:11 PM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Default Chile Verde Receipe

Anyone have a receipe they would share for pork chile verde? I use to live the San Francisco area and a family owned resturant in Hayward Ca. served what I, and everyone I think who tasted it, was the most delicious chile verde ever. It just had this roasted taste. When I tried to obtain the receipe from one of the siblings of the owner whose wife was the cook and keeper of the receipe, they told me only Mama knows and she isn't talking. I even considered getting a job there as a dishwasher so I could watch Mama prepare the chile verde but no luck.
Old 05-15-13, 08:06 PM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Chile Verde Receipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
...I even considered getting a job there as a dishwasher so I could watch Mama prepare the chile verde but no luck.
Heh.

Now THAT is devious.
Old 05-17-13, 06:32 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

This was passed along to me in an email...

Chili Verde Recipe

Ingredients

4 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder, 1” cube
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 large yellow onions, fire roasted and chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
10 large poblano peppers, fire roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 large jalapenos, fire roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3 large yellow bell peppers, fire roasted, seeded, peeled, and chopped
6 large Anaheim or Banana peppers fire roasted, seeded, peeled, and chopped
2 quarts chicken stock or broth
3 pounds large fresh tomatillos, husks removed, fire roasted
2 large bunches cilantro, stems discarded, leaves chopped
Juice of 3 large limes
1/2 pound lean smoky bacon, diced

Directions

Fire-roast the peppers and tomatillos. You can do this on the grill, over a gas burner, or under your broiler turned on high. The goal is to char the skin of the vegetable, bringing out its natural sweetness, concentrating the flavor, and adding a pleasing smoky note. Place the charred vegetables in a large heat proof bowl or pan and cover with foil. The heat from the vegetables will help the charred skin come off easily.

Next, trim off any excess fat from the pork and cut into 1 inch squares. Liberally season the pork with salt and pepper and toss with flour to coat evenly. In a large (6 to 8 quart) stock pot, over high heat, brown the bacon reserving the bacon drippings.

Brown the seasoned pork in small batches, in the bacon drippings, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Remove the pork from the pot and pour off the fat drippings, leaving two tablespoons of fat. Caramelizing the meat to a rich golden-brown is a key flavor step!!

In the same pot, over a medium heat, add the chopped onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté until transparent, scraping up any browned bits. Add the cumin, pork, and chicken stock, and cook simmering over medium-low heat for 1 hour.

Place half of the peppers, one bunch of cilantro, and half of the tomatillos in to a blender or the bowl of a food processor and pulse for a chunky puree. Add the puree to the pot with the pork and stir to combine, cooking on medium-low for an additional 30 minutes.

Roughly chop the remaining tomatillos, peppers, and cilantro. Add them to the pot, stir, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, for a total cooking time of two hours. Add the lime juice, adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper, and serve accompanied with rice, beans, sour cream, and or salsa fresca.

Serves 8-10

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-17-13, 01:59 PM   #4
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
This was passed along to me in an email...

Chili Verde Recipe

Ingredients

4 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder, 1” cube
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 large yellow onions, fire roasted and chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
10 large poblano peppers, fire roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
6 large jalapenos, fire roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3 large yellow bell peppers, fire roasted, seeded, peeled, and chopped
6 large Anaheim or Banana peppers fire roasted, seeded, peeled, and chopped
2 quarts chicken stock or broth
3 pounds large fresh tomatillos, husks removed, fire roasted
2 large bunches cilantro, stems discarded, leaves chopped
Juice of 3 large limes
1/2 pound lean smoky bacon, diced

Directions

Fire-roast the peppers and tomatillos. You can do this on the grill, over a gas burner, or under your broiler turned on high. The goal is to char the skin of the vegetable, bringing out its natural sweetness, concentrating the flavor, and adding a pleasing smoky note. Place the charred vegetables in a large heat proof bowl or pan and cover with foil. The heat from the vegetables will help the charred skin come off easily.

Next, trim off any excess fat from the pork and cut into 1 inch squares. Liberally season the pork with salt and pepper and toss with flour to coat evenly. In a large (6 to 8 quart) stock pot, over high heat, brown the bacon reserving the bacon drippings.

Brown the seasoned pork in small batches, in the bacon drippings, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Remove the pork from the pot and pour off the fat drippings, leaving two tablespoons of fat. Caramelizing the meat to a rich golden-brown is a key flavor step!!

In the same pot, over a medium heat, add the chopped onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and sauté until transparent, scraping up any browned bits. Add the cumin, pork, and chicken stock, and cook simmering over medium-low heat for 1 hour.

Place half of the peppers, one bunch of cilantro, and half of the tomatillos in to a blender or the bowl of a food processor and pulse for a chunky puree. Add the puree to the pot with the pork and stir to combine, cooking on medium-low for an additional 30 minutes.

Roughly chop the remaining tomatillos, peppers, and cilantro. Add them to the pot, stir, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, for a total cooking time of two hours. Add the lime juice, adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper, and serve accompanied with rice, beans, sour cream, and or salsa fresca.

Serves 8-10
Thanks, I will give it a try
Old 06-20-13, 08:20 PM   #5
DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ is on a distinguished road

First post here on TalkBaja. Just wanted to say we tried the Chile Verde recipe and it was VERY good! Thanks for posting it.
We cut the recipe in half, as there is only 2 of us, and we have plenty left over to share with friends.

Darned good recipe - labor intensive, but worth it!

Thanks Again!
Old 06-21-13, 07:25 AM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dutch and welcome aboard...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-25-13, 05:30 PM   #7
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to try this over the 4th with a Dutch oven at the campground. I've winged it with other recipes for pork verde and wasn't super thrilled with the results. This one looks like a winner, I "might" actually follow the recipe!

Will post pics etc of the cook-up.

Thanks for sharing.

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 06-27-13, 08:54 AM   #8
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmanAZ
First post here on TalkBaja. Just wanted to say we tried the Chile Verde recipe and it was VERY good! Thanks for posting it.
We cut the recipe in half, as there is only 2 of us, and we have plenty left over to share with friends.

Darned good recipe - labor intensive, but worth it!

Thanks Again!
Any recipe that is labor intensive is usually worth it.... welcome to the message board!!!