Pressure is on to free Arizona mom
Old 05-30-13, 07:33 PM   #2
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Default Re: A reason not to become a Mexican citizen

I think your "Title is way off".
A really bad choice of words.

This is "No reason NOT to become a Mexican citizen"

Nor is it a reason to Stop visiting Mexico.

My 2 cents.......
Old 05-30-13, 09:14 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY

My 2 cents.......

Some people have very strong opinions concerning this issue. Perhaps it's time for a popular outcry in cases such as this that aren't as rare as they should be, and if tourists, whom the Mexican government courts passionately, are going to be subjected to their illogical, implausible and heartless judicial system, the traveling public should be acutely aware of that and react accordingly.
It's not like Mexico doesn't realize there is a problem. They're slowly changing the system to be more humane, so why continue to brutalize this woman with the old standards? It seems sadistic.
Old 05-31-13, 10:20 AM   #4
DENNIS

She was released. The case against her was empty, but that alone probably didn't get the decision. Had she been alone in this ordeal, with no one to gather support, it's scary how far it may have gone.

Anyway...that one's over, for now.
Old 05-31-13, 04:21 PM   #5
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
She was released. The case against her was empty, but that alone probably didn't get the decision. Had she been alone in this ordeal, with no one to gather support, it's scary how far it may have gone.

Anyway...that one's over, for now.
I agree totally with your statement Dennis.
Old 06-01-13, 08:30 AM   #6
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY

My 2 cents.......
When Americans become a citizen of another country the embassy is less likely to come to the aid or help the person if they are in trouble with the law in the country they have become a citizen of. I love Mexico but more needs to be done to better its corruptness. I am in Mexico now. Do not know the final story but either the drugs were already under the seat or they were planted after they left the bus.
Old 06-01-13, 08:58 AM   #7
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
I agree totally with your statement Dennis.
Me too. Dennis has seen it all- more than once.

I do believe a US State Department has a travel advisory is in effect for that area that is much stronger than the one for Baja. If the US Gov't tells you it's too dangerous to travel there, and you go anyway- why the surprise when the plausible happens? When a tourist drowned in Cabo last week after ignoring the closed beach signs posted by lifeguards- was the dead swimmer a victim or fatally careless?

I know this sounds strange, but my family travels a lot by bus from Tijuana to Torreon near Mexico City. They seriously dress down and blend in. The checkpoints along the route are normal. The photos of this couple getting on the bus look like they were boarding a plane to sit in Business Class. Perhaps they looked like they could pay the $5000 and were targeted?
Old 06-01-13, 09:02 AM   #8
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Arizona
When Americans become a citizen of another country the embassy is less likely to come to the aid or help the person if they are in trouble with the law in the country they have become a citizen of. I love Mexico but more needs to be done to better its corruptness. I am in Mexico now. Do not know the final story but either the drugs were already under the seat or they were planted after they left the bus.
I know the US Consul General in Tijuana treats every US Citizen, regardless of national origin- with the greatest of concern. If you are a US Citizen, he is there for you. However, I would NOT be surprised if some Mexican authorities looked down on a Mexican who became a US Citizen.

The corruption in Mexico has been institutionalized and interwoven with the drugs and drug money. That Genie won't fit back in the bottle. Mexico is hoping the repression of crime news will neutralize this problem they can't fix. The whack-a-mole strategy didn't work, so now they have moved on to "what mole?" (They threw a Mexican flag over the elephant in the room and feed it all the peanuts it wants). The big question is- will it work? Can they convince tourists Mexico is safe while the Cruise lines still balk at returning? What do you folks think?

Last edited by Woooosh; 06-01-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-01-13, 09:27 AM   #9
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Arizona
When Americans become a citizen of another country the embassy is less likely to come to the aid or help the person if they are in trouble with the law in the country they have become a citizen of.
I suppose making a phone call could be considered "coming to aid", but that's all they're going to do for you. They won't argue your case or advocate for your release. They consider that to be meddling in the affairs of the host country.

We have to keep in mind that the US Consulate is not in Mexico for the protection of US citizens. They're here primarily for the interests of international business. To think otherwise is to live under a veil of false protection.
Old 06-01-13, 09:33 AM   #10
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
However, I would NOT be surprised if some Mexican authorities looked down on a Mexican who became a US Citizen.
I believe they would be reduced to "Pocho" status.......synonymous to "Traitor" to many.
Old 06-01-13, 02:40 PM   #11
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
...whack-a-mole strategy didn't work, so now they have moved on to "what mole?" (They threw a Mexican flag over the elephant in the room and feed it all the peanuts it wants)...What do you folks think?
Sounds about right(and a rather-witty metaphor) to me.