General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 07-04-13, 08:30 AM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Happy 4th without fireworks...

We are celebrating the 4th down here in our little world outside San Quintin. One of the benefits IMHO is the absence of fireworks. When we lived up in the Rosarito Beach area it was actually worse than being NOB and our animals all paid the price.

Not meaning to offend anybody here who happens to like using them but our holiday here is much happier without them.

Happy 4th of July everybody...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-04-13, 09:06 AM   #2
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Happy 4th without fireworks...

I'm with you!

It has been sunny and hot here for the last week, and the forest is dry and explosive. Most folks here shoot their stuff off on the beaches, but the accuracy declines once the alcohol flows. One star shell in the forest will ruin everyones decade.

Like Christmas, I prefer a quiet, contemplative holiday. Considering the real reason we celebrate. Both tend to be sobering occasions for me, thinking about what was purchased and at what cost.

Have a good one.
Old 07-04-13, 09:22 AM   #3
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the fireworks, and getting together with friends, but it's true about the poor beasties. We keep ours in every year, and my husband stays home with them. When I was a kid, we had a powerful, fearless St. Bernard-boxer mix dog that was reduced to a pathetic, trembling heap every 4th of July. One year my lab broke through the back yard fence and ran away due to fear of the noise. We got her back a week later. She was found at a gas station 5 miles away by a kind man who seduced her into his truck with a hot dog and alerted the shelter.

I've ceased to think of the day as a celebration of American independence. Freedom has become a joke here now. However, I am very thankful for an abundance of dear family and friends with whom to enjoy the evening and the fireworks in a nice park.
Old 07-06-13, 09:51 AM   #4
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

There was a large fire works display near our house that we could see from the deck in our back yard, overlooking a canyon. Our Chocolate Lab, Luke, wasn't phased at all. I am so glad that he does not fear the noise. He just looks at me and wags his tail.

However, I've had dogs in the past that would try to dig themselves under a cement floor to hide from them....