General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 08-16-13, 02:41 PM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Smile Super Markets- Rosarito Beach

Does anyone know which of the following have generally the best prices, Calimax, Commercial Mexicana, WalMart, or is there one I am missing?
Old 08-16-13, 02:49 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Super Markets- Rosarito Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Does anyone know which of the following have generally the best prices, Calimax, Commercial Mexicana, WalMart, or is there one I am missing?
"Soriana's" is another. They used to be called "Gigante."

There are good and not so good prices in all of them, but none of them stands out as "most inexpensive" in spite of what they say.
Without having to go down the aisles with a computer, I'd pick Walmart for no other reason than selection.
Old 08-16-13, 03:37 PM   #3
ldsnakes

ldsnakes is on a distinguished road

Soriana and Calimex are generally cheaper but not much compared to Walmart or La Comer. For meds I would definitely go to either La Comer or Walmart.

There is a small supermarket chain called Mercado Emilia that is probably a litter cheaper than the other two. They have one store in Rosarito on Benito Jaurez and several stores around Tijuana as well. They make excellent authentic corn and flour tortillas daily.
Old 08-16-13, 04:11 PM   #4
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Calimax does a weekly flier for it's Tuesday specials. I think other than that they are all competitive on price.
Old 08-16-13, 04:12 PM   #5
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnakes
Soriana and Calimex are generally cheaper but not much compared to Walmart or La Comer. For meds I would definitely go to either La Comer or Walmart.

There is a small supermarket chain called Mercado Emilia that is probably a litter cheaper than the other two. They have one store in Rosarito on Benito Jaurez and several stores around Tijuana as well. They make excellent authentic corn and flour tortillas daily.
I am always looking for the best tortillera. Can you pls. tell me the location of Mercado Emilia.

Also does anyone have a favorite for the best quality market steaks. Someone mentioned Mercado Del Mar(the market with a giant selection of tequila) however we tried the rib eye and found nothing special.
Old 08-16-13, 04:36 PM   #6
ldsnakes

Quote:
I am always looking for the best tortillera. Can you pls. tell me the location of Mercado Emilia.

Also does anyone have a favorite for the best quality market steaks. Someone mentioned Mercado Del Mar(the market with a giant selection of tequila) however we tried the rib eye and found nothing special.

Benito Juárez 234, Centro, 22710 Rosarito, Baja California ‎661 612 2843

For steaks, it's been a while but I remember Walmart actually had good selection there in North Rosarito.
Old 08-16-13, 05:01 PM   #7
Woooosh

Quote:

If it's the one I'm thinking of across from the Baseball field the owner was kidnapped last year, the store closed and it never reopened. They had an incredible bakery on the left as you walked in.
Old 08-16-13, 05:34 PM   #8
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
If it's the one I'm thinking of across from the Baseball field the owner was kidnapped last year, the store closed and it never reopened. They had an incredible bakery on the left as you walked in.
Anyone know if it is still open? How about a recommendation for"prime" steaks.
Old 08-16-13, 05:43 PM   #9
ldsnakes

Quote:

That's too bad. It's been a while since I visited the store in Rosarito. That location was opened well after the one in Playas. I know the location in Playas is still open. If you're coming back from SD Larry that could be an option for you. They also have a big panderia next to it with a great selection of donuts.
Old 08-16-13, 06:11 PM   #10
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnakes
That's too bad. It's been a while since I visited the store in Rosarito. That location was opened well after the one in Playas. I know the location in Playas is still open. If you're coming back from SD Larry that could be an option for you. They also have a big panderia next to it with a great selection of donuts.
Sadly, there have been too many "That's too bads" in Rosarito with more places closing than opening. The "Casa la Manitas" restaurant near Emilios mercadito closed as well. They were nice people and used to allow expats to hold Spanish lessons there Wednesday afternoons.
Old 08-16-13, 07:19 PM   #11
larry

Quote:
Sadly, there have been too many "That's too bads" in Rosarito with more places closing than opening. The "Casa la Manitas" restaurant near Emilios mercadito closed as well. They were nice people and used to allow expats to hold Spanish lessons there Wednesday afternoons.
I agree about the present state of business in the area. It is upsetting to see some places that you have patronize for decades suddenly close down. I am hoping that the law allowing foreigners to own property passes. I think it could be a real boom to the economy.
Old 08-16-13, 08:36 PM   #12
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

When we were in Rosarito we always got meat from the market with the big cow on the roof
Old 08-16-13, 09:40 PM   #13
Woooosh

Quote:
I agree about the present state of business in the area. It is upsetting to see some places that you have patronize for decades suddenly close down. I am hoping that the law allowing foreigners to own property passes. I think it could be a real boom to the economy.
It certainly won't hurt.
Old 08-16-13, 09:44 PM   #14
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
When we were in Rosarito we always got meat from the market with the big cow on the roof
Now that was specific. Is that near Tacos Yaqui at the underpass?

You sure it's a cow? Apparently the three prominently placed plastic cows in front of the Jersey Lechera are not the type of cows that give milk. A cow is not always a cow but a horse is a horse...
Old 08-17-13, 07:18 AM   #15
Teniente

Quote:
Now that was specific. Is that near Tacos Yaqui at the underpass?

You sure it's a cow? Apparently the three prominently placed plastic cows in front of the Jersey Lechera are not the type of cows that give milk. A cow is not always a cow but a horse is a horse...
The market was on the main street, in the north-central part of town. If you were southbound, it was on your left side. A small grocery store with a great meat counter.
Old 08-17-13, 07:51 AM   #16
larry

Smile Re: Super Markets- Rosarito Beach

Quote:
The market was on the main street, in the north-central part of town. If you were southbound, it was on your left side. A small grocery store with a great meat counter.
Using the McDonalds as a landmark, how far south would the market be approx.?
Old 08-17-13, 08:23 AM   #17
Teniente

Quote:
Using the McDonalds as a landmark, how far south would the market be approx.?
I'm pretty sure it was north of the old Commercial Mexicana plaza.............can't be that many small mercados with a cow on the roof!!!!
Old 08-17-13, 08:39 AM   #18
larry

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was north of the old Commercial Mexicana plaza.............can't be that many small mercados with a cow on the roof!!!!
Sorry but I don't know where that is. North or south of the McDonalds & how far from there pls.?
Old 08-17-13, 08:41 AM   #19
Teniente

Quote:
Sorry but I don't know where that is. North or south of the McDonalds & how far from there pls.?
I don't know where the McDonalds is, sorry. That was after our time there.

Some of the locals should know where the "cow" is
Old 08-17-13, 10:29 AM   #20
larry

Quote:
I don't know where the McDonalds is, sorry. That was after our time there.

Some of the locals should know where the "cow" is
I guess it's been awhile since you were in Rosarito. The McDonalds is located on the main street, non ocean side. Coming North on the toll road, you take the first Rosarito exit, make a left, go 1/2 block, and the McDonalds is right there. If you made a right at the toll road exit, you would see the large Commercial Mexicana Market on the left. City Hall is on the right.