Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 09-19-13, 07:33 PM   #1
Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy is on a distinguished road

Default Baja Travel Questions

Our last trip to the Baja was in 05. Are some of the places that we boondocked on our previous trips still open? At that time the cost was normally US $5.00 per night. I am sure the prices have gone up which is to be expected. Here are some of the places:

Rancho Sorde Mudo RV, El Saugal Escondida(The blind School) South of Tecate
El Pedregosco RV Park close to San Quintin
El Pabellon RV, close to San Quintin
37 KM mark south of El Guerrero Negro
Playa Los Cocos south of Mulege
El Coyote, Mulege
Rancho Lugui, south of Loretto
Puerto Escondido, south of Loretto
Playa Tecolote, 15 KM from La Paz
Los Cerritos, near Todas Santos
Rancho Miramar, close to La Ribera

What is the border crossing like at Tecate????
Old 09-19-13, 08:58 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Baja Travel Questions

[QUOTE=Gadget Guy;38394]
Rancho Sorde Mudo RV, El Saugal Escondida(The blind School)

Sordo- Mudo....Deaf and Mute.....not blind.

Quote:
"Now we travel in a 40' tag axle coach pulling a Toyota Tacoma double cab truck. "

I think you're too long for Tecate. Best do some research.
Old 09-20-13, 09:36 AM   #3
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy
Our last trip to the Baja was in 05. Are some of the places that we boondocked on our previous trips still open? At that time the cost was normally US $5.00 per night. I am sure the prices have gone up which is to be expected. Here are some of the places:

Rancho Sorde Mudo RV, El Saugal Escondida(The blind School) South of Tecate
El Pedregosco RV Park close to San Quintin
El Pabellon RV, close to San Quintin
37 KM mark south of El Guerrero Negro
Playa Los Cocos south of Mulege
El Coyote, Mulege
Rancho Lugui, south of Loretto
Puerto Escondido, south of Loretto
Playa Tecolote, 15 KM from La Paz
Los Cerritos, near Todas Santos
Rancho Miramar, close to La Ribera

Border crossing is easy.

Let us know what you find out, some things change and some remain the same... keeps Baja interesting!

Some spelling edits to the places might be:
El Pedregoso
Ligui
Loreto

The Los Olivos RV Park, next to Baja Jardines Restaurant and Motel (near Km. 2, San Quintin area is highly recommended.
Old 09-20-13, 10:10 AM   #4
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Border crossing is easy.
At Tecate??? With this????? He'll be stuck on the turn for life.

"Now we travel in a 40' tag axle coach pulling a Toyota Tacoma double cab truck. "
Old 09-20-13, 10:22 AM   #5
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
At Tecate??? With this????? He'll be stuck on the turn for life.

Semi Tractor Trailers use Tecate all the time... It sounded like he was talking southbound. and Tecate is a straight shot in, with never a wait, southbound. But, maybe I don't understand something, so I defer to others... afterall, I drive a Tacoma doublecab and don't trailer anything.
Old 09-20-13, 10:32 AM   #6
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Semi Tractor Trailers use Tecate all the time... It sounded like he was talking southbound. and Tecate is a straight shot in, with never a wait, southbound. But, maybe I don't understand something, so I defer to others... afterall, I drive a Tacoma doublecab and don't trailer anything.

My comments concerned the out-bound gate.
Old 09-20-13, 10:59 AM   #7
Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
My comments concerned the out-bound gate.
I was talking about going south, last time we where there it was a straight through shot but coming back it was a 90 degree corner. If the south bound is still the same which it sounds like it is we will use it and have a look at the north bound one. My unit being long does turn very sharp especially if I lift the tag.
Old 09-20-13, 03:34 PM   #8
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy
I was talking about going south, last time we where there it was a straight through shot but coming back it was a 90 degree corner. If the south bound is still the same which it sounds like it is we will use it and have a look at the north bound one. My unit being long does turn very sharp especially if I lift the tag.
Southbound you drive straight in. The only issue is if you are getting a tourist card (FMM) there... as parking would be on a side street, unless they let you 'double park' in front of the INM office. A popular option with those who tow or are in motorhomes is to park on the U.S. side, walk across the border with your passports and money, and get the FMMs... then walk back, and drive on south!

To go to Ensenada, go straight (downhill) from the border, to the park (town plaza) a couple long blocks away... there you turn left one street (to the other corner of the park) and turn right to continue south to Ensenada (Hwy. 3). You can turn left at either the northwest or southwest corner of the park (should you miss the first one, which is the old Mexicali/Tijuana highway Mex 2). Once on Hwy. 3 southbound, there are no other turns until you reach Hwy. 1 near Ensenada.