General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 09-28-13, 08:57 PM   #1
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Team Woooosh riders finish in top 100 of Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride

Team Woooosh is proud to announce both Team Woooosh riders finished in the top 100 out of some 6000 competitors. Emilio finished number 47 (just 15 minutes behind the leader) and Jesus finished #67. Both came home hammered from the party and very happy. The dogs made it as far as the corner. These guys have been training hard and it's been fun to support them.

Old 09-28-13, 09:12 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Team Woooosh riders finish in top 100 of Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride

Hey....wassup with that list? You mean no one with a European [other than Spain] name was in the ride?
Has this morphed into a primarily home-grown event?
Old 09-28-13, 09:44 PM   #3
Woooosh

Default Re: Team Woooosh riders finish in top 100 of Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Hey....wassup with that list? You mean no one with a European [other than Spain] name was in the ride?
Has this morphed into a primarily home-grown event?
It's officially a "fun" ride but the local bicycle clubs enjoy it as an annual competition and should. They pay 100 pesos more and start at the front. This year every race bib had a timing chip. It's really a great annual event. A lot of "racers" dress in costume and just poke along the coastline. Team Woooosh had music blaring from their USB speakers that I'm sure gave the riders behind them headaches. I haven't seen a breakdown of participants by country, but I'm sure someone will report if more or less gringos participated. It's one of the safer days to be out biking I suppose.

Last edited by Woooosh; 09-28-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 12:25 AM   #4
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Congrats Woooosh!!
Old 09-29-13, 07:11 AM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
It's officially a "fun" ride but the local bicycle clubs enjoy it as an annual competition and should. They pay 100 pesos more and start at the front. This year every race bib had a timing chip. It's really a great annual event. A lot of "racers" dress in costume and just poke along the coastline. Team Woooosh had music blaring from their USB speakers that I'm sure gave the riders behind them headaches. I haven't seen a breakdown of participants by country, but I'm sure someone will report if more or less gringos participated. It's one of the safer days to be out biking I suppose.

I can remember in the past at the finish line fiesta near my house, the participants were primarily white folks from the US.
I think what we're seeing is just another indication of middle class development in Mexico. It's a great thing to watch for the speed of development and change. I mean' it's not at all gradual like a speeding glacier.

Watch it now 'cuz when they all have credit and big monthly payments, we won't be seeing it so much.
Old 09-29-13, 10:03 AM   #6
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churro
Congrats Woooosh!!
I second that "Congratulations"
Old 09-29-13, 10:54 AM   #7
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I think what we're seeing is just another indication of middle class development in Mexico. It's a great thing to watch for the speed of development and change.
Very good point: when people are exercising for fun or 'recreation' then it is a sign that this group of people are no longer required to bust their a** every day for a living. To put it another way; the guys selling stuff on the street every day or working in the fields all day do not need (or want) any additional exercise at the end of the day.
Old 10-03-13, 05:11 PM   #8
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall
Very good point: when people are exercising for fun or 'recreation' then it is a sign that this group of people are no longer required to bust their a** every day for a living. To put it another way; the guys selling stuff on the street every day or working in the fields all day do not need (or want) any additional exercise at the end of the day.
At 450 pesos a ticket, this is probably the upper end of the "middle class" and a splurge. If you have a bike, and want to ride along the coast on a nice day- it's worth it.

One of the leading Rosarito biking clubs asked Emilio to join their group. I'm heartbroken (not really). They want him to train with them and will give him one of their team jerseys for if he joins. How cool is that?!
Click image for larger version

Name:	emilio_bike.PNG

Views:	26

Size:	2.10 MB

ID:	3714

The group is AndoEnBc and the club leader has his restored 911 Porsche with the club logo on the door as his FaceBook cover page photo. It looks like a 1972 911 Carrera with a whale tail. Very nice, but hardly middle class.

https://www.facebook.com/andoenBC

Last edited by Woooosh; 10-03-13 at 05:19 PM.
Woooosh
This message has been deleted by Woooosh. Reason: duplicate
Old 10-05-13, 11:28 AM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

So cool!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic