General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 11-27-13, 05:06 PM   #1
TacosDePescado

TacosDePescado is on a distinguished road

Default Propane heater questions

I was at the Home Depot in Ensenada trying to buy a propane space heater. My Espanol is not nearly good enough to converse with the employees. They have some heaters marked Infrared and some marked Catalytic. Which one do I want?

They were also selling 10 kilo gas cans. Do I buy the can and use it then exchange it from the Silza guy when it runs out? Or is it better/cheaper to just buy my initial canister from the Silza guy? I have the phone number of a Silza guy who knows where I live, so I've got that part covered.

Home Depot had two kinds of gas canisters. Ones with red labels and ones with green labels. They were $525 and $585 pesos respectively. I couldn't figure out what was different about them.

Any pointers or suggestions appreciated. Just trying to heat the living room in my 2br house. High ceilings.
Old 11-27-13, 07:36 PM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Propane heater questions

I have three of the "infrared" heaters. In my experience they provide more of a directed heat. Usually turn them on in the bedroom for about 15 minutes before bed. My heaters cost about 1600 pesos each at Home depot

Regarding the tanks, you can get the small 5 gallon tanks at Costco in the states for $27US....down here in Ensenada they run 575 (+/-) pesos. If you buy them here make sure they have threads both on the outside of the valve (for BBQ's) and threads on the inside of the valve (for heaters).

I either take my tanks to the gas place or have them fill from the truck, I never exchange them. It's a good idea to have 2 or 3 tanks. There have been times when the propane places have been out of gas for 2 or 3 days at a time during rainy or cold spells. Usually charge 100 pesos to fill.

Tell the gas guy/gal that it is a new tank so they can properly purge it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosDePescado
I was at the Home Depot in Ensenada trying to buy a propane space heater. My Espanol is not nearly good enough to converse with the employees. They have some heaters marked Infrared and some marked Catalytic. Which one do I want?

They were also selling 10 kilo gas cans. Do I buy the can and use it then exchange it from the Silza guy when it runs out? Or is it better/cheaper to just buy my initial canister from the Silza guy? I have the phone number of a Silza guy who knows where I live, so I've got that part covered.

Home Depot had two kinds of gas canisters. Ones with red labels and ones with green labels. They were $525 and $585 pesos respectively. I couldn't figure out what was different about them.

Any pointers or suggestions appreciated. Just trying to heat the living room in my 2br house. High ceilings.
Old 11-27-13, 08:02 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Propane heater questions

Personally I prefer to just buy the tank off the gas truck delivery guy and Terry is right, the infrared models are best...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic