General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-01-14, 08:17 PM   #1
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Default New laws for foreigners 2014?

Does anybody know anything about these new laws affecting persons under the new immigration card system?

1) Starting January first 2014 all residents, national and foreigners holding a RESIDENT immigration card must file fiscal reports.

2) Legality of Driving Foreign plated vehicles in Baja or Baja Sur with Temporary or Permanent resident immigration card.

(Hope I got the questions and point across correctly)
Old 01-01-14, 09:03 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New laws for foreigners 2014?

As it was explained to me, nothing has changed (to date) with cars being driven with foreign plates. As far as submitting a tax return, you always have been required by law to submit one if you earn income here in Mexico that is above the minimum required. What that exact amount is, I let our accountant down here worry about.

I suggest you do the same...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-02-14, 04:43 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I don't suppose your accountant could advise whether or not $0.00 income in Mexico does NOT require filing a $0.00 report?? That's ludicrous! But I've always heard that corporations had to file monthly reports even if they have $0.00 income to report. Some of us can't afford no stinkin accountants!
Old 04-15-14, 06:13 PM   #4
bajadavid

bajadavid is on a distinguished road

Question about taxes (there may be additional discussion on this topic on the site but I couldn't find any).

Mexico, like the US, taxes residents on "worldwide income," unlike "territorial" tax systems that only tax residents on income generated within their territory. So, technically, it appears that all residents of Mexico are supposed to file income tax returns in Mexico even if they don't owe anything. Having said that, I've read a few pieces on the internet - not by accountants, by the way - suggesting that if you have an FM3 "rentista" visa - specifically - then because you are (a) not seeking permanent resident status, and (b) don't have any income derived from Mexico, then you don't have to file a tax return in Mexico. While this makes sense, I'm just wondering if anyone's accountant can actually confirm this or if this is just an urban legend. I realize that Mexico is lax regarding tax collecting, in general, and very lax with respect to FM3 holders. But this doesn't mean that this won't change or that not filing is kosher legally. Realistically, I'd imagine that there's very little income for Mexico in a taking hard line stance with gringo FM3 holders because most of these folks pay US income taxes and this would be a credit in Mexico... leaving little to nothing owed to Mexico after the credit; that is, I suspect that in 90% of the cases it would be a wash. Having said that... I'm just curious whether anyone has firsthand experience with an accountant that has told an FM3 holder, "Nope, you don't have to file a tax return in Mexico unless you earn income here." The law appears to suggest otherwise, but I'm no expert.
Old 04-21-14, 01:21 AM   #5
kboy24

kboy24 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like way too much thinking Man....ZZZZZZZZZ....
Old 04-21-14, 07:24 AM   #6
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadavid
Having said that... I'm just curious whether anyone has firsthand experience with an accountant that has told an FM3 holder, "Nope, you don't have to file a tax return in Mexico unless you earn income here." The law appears to suggest otherwise, but I'm no expert.
FM3s are out. Temporary Resident or Permanent Resident designations are in.
The rest of your question begs another question:
Why would a resident with no business interests in Mexico, hire an accountant? We don't pay taxes, other than sales and, in some cases, property tax, and it's not an issue even for discussion here, and expats who try to skirt the law, love to discuss it.

Another thing........if you want questionable information down here, ask an expert who would profit from your business.......in this case, an accountant. The legal field is worse.