Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 01-31-14, 06:58 AM   #1
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Cabo Vacation- Canandian couple does everything right- and still it goes bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek_21
Jan 30, 2014, 11:33 PM
Went to mexico for 6th and last time over christmas and new years 2014 with my spouse. We thought we were being safe by booking a bottle service at the most high end party at a resort and club for new years night but were targeted and drugged by the server in our mix as soon as we paid our bill. I was lured into an elevator by guards where i was assaulted and robbed by them. I was taken down to the lower level where the cops were waiting and cuffed me and hit my leg with a baton twice when i wasnt even moving. I was thrown into the back of their baja truck with cops with guns and taken to mexican jail where the guards stole my phone and $250 in my wallet. By law they have to provide you with an interpretor and lawyer, they came and said I had to pay $1500 US to get out without ever saying i had done anything wrong or was being charged. This was the first english i heard in hours and had no choice but to agree to the extortion. I was then forced to drive around to ATM's and finally bypass lines at clubs with them so i could charge my credit card through the machine to get them all their money or they were going to kill me!

We are smart travellers who have travelled to many countries and we did everything we could to not get into a bad situation. We were not getting random drinks at the club , we were not drunk, and we were not being loud or offensive.

We were targeted by the club staff as being a canadian couple and easy to drug and extort. These people do this professionally and all share in the take and had this all planned out and do it every day of every week. These are the Cops, Interpretors and Lawyers that did this to us at the nicest club and hotel in cabo. Mexico is not safe for travellers young or old anymore. We thought we could mitigate the risks but we were wrong there is no way to guard against professional criminals. Shame on you Mexico!

It can happen to you because it happened to me. Stay away from Mexico or your life is at risk.

This happened at Nikki Beach on NYE 2014
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...alifornia.html

These people wrote an excellent recap and event summary. These are the Baja Travel reviews that bother me the most. I think these victims connected the dots perfectly- including the demand of $1500 by the Police to make a phone call to a lawyer he was entitled to get for free. Can you imagine the POLICE driving you around town from ATM to ATM (under threat of death) to get their money so you can call a lawyer (or consualte)?

It is easy to be critical of tourists who make themselves vulnerable. These people seemed to have done everything right- and still it all went wrong for them. Their recap was excellent. I hope they get some traction in Canada on the story.

I'm sure the Baja Prosecutor for Human Rights will be investigating their claim a phone call to a lawyer cost them $1500. He didn't offer Gretchen Smith that option when he held her in violation of her human rights. Perhaps his appointment gave everyone in Baja the green light to become abusers. What other message would his appointment to that position send? jmho.

Last edited by Woooosh; 01-31-14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 08:23 AM   #2
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cabo Vacation- Canandian couple does everything right- and still it goes bad.

Wow!! Thats CRAZY!!!... I have been to Mexico hundreds of times and never seen anyone get hurt, Mexican or American.. But I know for sure it happens. The sad part in this story is that the cops are involved. Has anyone checked to see if the story is 100 percent true?

I know Wooosh and Baja Gringo have had problems with violence but still choose to live in Baja. I Love traveling to Mexico and would like to have a vacation home there. I wonder how Mexico compares to the rest of the world for safety? Didnt the USA lift the travel advisory for most of Mexico?
Old 01-31-14, 09:30 AM   #3
ldsnakes

ldsnakes is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cabo Vacation- Canandian couple does everything right- and still it goes bad.

I know this happens in TJ so it would not surprise me if this story was true. I'm not sure how common of an occurrence this is in Cabo since if it was happening on a regular basis there would be more people reporting it. Which leads me to believe this was an isolated incident if it happened at all.

For me the most important thing to do is to blend in with the locals as much as possible and don't let anyone know you have money. That will only lead to trouble. Kind of hard to do when you're staying at an expensive resort though.
Old 01-31-14, 09:40 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Really, really sorry to hear this but glad that they got out of it without anymore damages - physical or economical. I have heard a couple of similar stories over the years - one from Cabo and the other occurred at Loreto I believe. The Loreto story seemed to keep changing but the other story from Cabo was rock solid. One thing that caught my attention was that both stories from Cabo followed a similar theme; flaunting money.

"bottle service at the most high end party at a resort and club for new years night.."

That comes at a high price in Cabo, one of the most expensive resort cities in Mexico and probably even more expensive on New Years. That is really unfortunate as you should be able to feel safe wherever you go on this planet but sadly we all know that simply just isn't the case anymore.

They (unwittingly) made themselves targets in a resort city that is obviously not the same laid back beach getaway it once was. There are predators simply waiting for an easy target to come along and unfortunately this couple caught their attention.

I do hope that they follow up with this. Criminals who are successful at extortion don't stop with the first victim. I would make a lot of noise to get the attention of the resort where he stayed as well as filing a formal complaint. Simply posting his story on a couple of travel sites will certainly turn some potential customers away but will do nothing to catch and stop these criminals. Like the famous quote...

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

BTW - I don't think the $1500 was to see a lawyer. He stated that they demanded $1500 for him to get out (of the situation). Allowing him to call a lawyer was never an option.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-31-14, 10:15 AM   #5
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churro
I know Wooosh and Baja Gringo have had problems with violence but still choose to live in Baja. I Love traveling to Mexico and would like to have a vacation home there. I wonder how Mexico compares to the rest of the world for safety? Didnt the USA lift the travel advisory for most of Mexico?
I can't and won't speak for Ron, but Alonzo and I have lost hope that a peaceful retirement in Baja is possible, unless we could live to be 100. After watching the Rosarito Police move drugs last Valentines Day and a police shootout in front of our home last fall we started looking for a Plan B stateside. Although the growing violence in Rosarito isn't directed at us, tourists or expats- it isn't relaxing or peaceful to live where the police are corrupt, your neighbors are being robbed and literally killed in their homes and your dog finds a human leg on the beach. So for now we've decided to take a break from living in Baja until the security sitution improves. My family and friends would no longer visit us and we were becoming isolated from them. To say my American family was concerned for our safety would be a huge understatement. Kidnappings and Murder rates in 2014 are on the increase. We had two kidnap and carjack attempts during the last crime wave and we'd rather not wait to see if this crime trend turns out to be worse than the last. Our Baja house is in the hands of our caretaker, security cameras and our Mexican family. The old saying "Never invest more in Baja than you are willing to walk away from" rang true for us. We are very fortunate to have the resources to switch gears- many expats cannot go back home to wait it out. We invested here when everything was looking great for Baja and that is no longer the case.

BTW: The US Dept of State has not removed it's travel advisory for Mexico. They say to be aware of your surroundings at all times and to not drive at night. Sage advice anywhere in the world. Today Canada put out its first a travel warning for Baja Norte, saying highway crimes were on the increase.

Travel Advice and Advisories for Mexico

Last edited by Woooosh; 01-31-14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-31-14, 11:14 AM   #6
Ralph

Ralph is on a distinguished road

How I long for the days...when the only thing I worried about in Mexico...was falling off the divers cliff in Mazatlan in 1984. It was 1:00am and after too many BIG margaritas at El Shrimp Bucket..my wife and I had to CRAWL up the steps to get to the top of the divers perch and then.....the scary crawl back down.

We fell(no pun intended) in love with Mexico that night..and have wanted to live there since. But..every time I think I have my DW convinced to move to Mexico...there's a headline about violence in Mexico. I've got to realize that the problems in Mexico aren't gonna be resolved in my lifetime. It breaks my friggin heart!
Old 01-31-14, 11:35 AM   #7
BajaGringo

My first decade down here on the peninsula was very relaxed, low key and uneventful. That probably was a significant factor in us becoming victims of violent crime back in 2011.

Although it has been a long process, today Cristina and I have resumed our life down here outside San Quintin. We have finished building the wall around the property, now have 3 dobermans, the house is well lighted at night and we are armed. We have developed a good neighborhood/community watch program (our neighbors are also armed) which has resulted in thwarting a few criminals in the past year or so out here on the beach. We stay very aware of where we are, who we are with and what is going on around us.

I know it sounds like a drastic change but while back east attending a funeral last month I told that same story to family members who asked how we are doing since returning back home to Baja? When I shared how our lifestyle had changed most of them just cracked up, commenting that is exactly what they have been doing to feel safe for the past 20+ years in their communities.

It made me think and they are probably right. When I was back living NOB I always had a gun or two, large dogs, security system on the house and participated in neighborhood watch programs.

I guess I thought life down here would be something different.

Well at least if we're going to live this way I'd much rather do it with great weather, no smog and the ocean outside our front door...

Old 01-31-14, 02:12 PM   #8
Ralph

Ralph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
My first decade down here on the peninsula was very relaxed, low key and uneventful. That probably was a significant factor in us becoming victims of violent crime back in 2011.

Although it has been a long process, today Cristina and I have resumed our life down here outside San Quintin. We have finished building the wall around the property, now have 3 dobermans, the house is well lighted at night and we are armed. We have developed a good neighborhood/community watch program (our neighbors are also armed) which has resulted in thwarting a few criminals in the past year or so out here on the beach. We stay very aware of where we are, who we are with and what is going on around us.

I know it sounds like a drastic change but while back east attending a funeral last month I told that same story to family members who asked how we are doing since returning back home to Baja? When I shared how our lifestyle had changed most of them just cracked up, commenting that is exactly what they have been doing to feel safe for the past 20+ years in their communities.

It made me think and they are probably right. When I was back living NOB I always had a gun or two, large dogs, security system on the house and participated in neighborhood watch programs.

I guess I thought life down here would be something different.

Well at least if we're going to live this way I'd much rather do it with great weather, no smog and the ocean outside our front door...

Ron,
I can't even imagine what "hell" you and your DW went thru in 2011. You had found your "paradise"..and then your world turns upside down. Thankfully...things are going better for you both.
I sincerely hope.. that the biggest problem you encounter for the rest of your life...is figuring out..... "Have I drank 4 "cadillac" margaritas..or was it 7 ???
Old 01-31-14, 02:33 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
Ron,
I can't even imagine what "hell" you and your DW went thru in 2011. You had found your "paradise"..and then your world turns upside down. Thankfully...things are going better for you both.
I sincerely hope.. that the biggest problem you encounter for the rest of your life...is figuring out..... "Have I drank 4 "cadillac" margaritas..or was it 7 ???
Thanks pal...

Cristina and I consider ourselves very blessed to be alive as we now fully comprehend what an incredible miracle each and every day of life is. Today we are even much closer to each other, our family and have come to see clearly who our real friends truly are. That is such a beautiful thing and we cerebrate each and every day of life together.

We also have learned many valuable lessons and I have been putting my thoughts together to write a short piece on that. I will post it once the sentencing order has been handed down from the judge. They have told us that will likely come between this spring and summer and we have still one more court appearance to attend before that happens this coming March.

Stay tuned...

Old 01-31-14, 05:05 PM   #10
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Thanks pal...

Cristina and I consider ourselves very blessed to be alive as we now fully comprehend what an incredible miracle each and every day of life is. Today we are even much closer to each other, our family and have come to see clearly who our real friends truly are. That is such a beautiful thing and we cerebrate each and every day of life together.

We also have learned many valuable lessons and I have been putting my thoughts together to write a short piece on that. I will post it once the sentencing order has been handed down from the judge. They have told us that will likely come between this spring and summer and we have still one more court appearance to attend before that happens this coming March.

Stay tuned...
You two are blessed and fortunate to be alive, happy and healthy- let alone see justice. You were both left for dead and the men who did it were caught and have been sitting in jail this whole time. That must be satisfying in some way- although they have no money to pay you restitution. I can understand how pulling through this together has had a postive impact of you both. Your good and "not too close" neighbors made a lot of difference then and now. Sounds like you have a handle on the situation and beefing up security is always a wise choice. I'm looking forward to your notes when it is over.
Old 01-31-14, 06:37 PM   #11
Woooosh

It was just a matter of time- like watching a plague spread in a sci-fi action movie. I would presume their goal is to get to the border and take control of the Plaza; maybe run some pangas up the coast on the side. Zeta says they have been in TJ a while now. Full story on link.

Knights Templar Cartel establishes a base of operations in Baja California Sur

El Vizcaíno, B.C.S.- De nueva cuenta se calienta la plaza en esta región que incluye todas las comunidades de la zona Pacífico Norte y la ciudad de Guerrero Negro, debido a que el cártel de LOS CABALLEROS TEMPLARIOS ha llegado y pretende establecerse en Baja California Sur.

De acuerdo a información que publica en su edición el SEMANARIO ZETA y que comenzó a circular a partir de hoy en la ciudad de Tijuana, células de ese cártel desde el mes de diciembre se han instalado en VIZCAÍNO que ahora es su base de operaciones para el tráfico de estupefacientes.

http://colectivopericu.net/2014/01/3...plarios-a-bcs/

El Vizcaíno, B.C.S.- Based on new information, the area is heating up, which includes the communities along the Northern Pacific zone and the city of Guerrero Negro, due to the fact the Knights Templar Cartel has arrived and intends to establish itself in Baja California Sur.

According to information published in ZETA and which started to circulate starting today in Tijuana, cells from this cartel have established themselves in Vizcaíno since December, and now that community is their base of operations for drug trafficking.

Last edited by Woooosh; 01-31-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-31-14, 07:54 PM   #12
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Really depressing reading the comments on that article.

Here is some duplication along with some other cristal dealers busted in Vizcaino, Guerrero Negro, San Ignacio, Mulegé...

Kashana | Radio Kashana
Old 01-31-14, 11:15 PM   #13
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Why are the cartels moving there operations to Visciano??? There aint nothin out there, and so far from the border.

I do not read Spanish that well so maybe I missed it in the links to the articles that are posted.
Old 02-01-14, 10:02 AM   #14
BajaGringo

Quote:
Why are the cartels moving there operations to Visciano??? There aint nothin out there, and so far from the border.

I do not read Spanish that well so maybe I missed it in the links to the articles that are posted.
My guess is that they already have inside connections with the police there in Vizcaino to be able to operate and it is a strategic location to coordinate movement of drugs coming over from the mainland across the SOC and then move them north...

Old 02-01-14, 11:59 AM   #15
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I honestly wonder how long the non-police (i.e. Military) will allow their growth / foothold in Baja Sur.
I was once told by a 3 Star General that one of the priorities for Baja Sur was to "squash before ripened".

I guess time will tell.
Old 02-02-14, 07:50 AM   #16
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY
I honestly wonder how long the non-police (i.e. Military) will allow their growth / foothold in Baja Sur.
I was once told by a 3 Star General that one of the priorities for Baja Sur was to "squash before ripened".

I guess time will tell.
Unfortunatley the Army is at the head of the Baja drug problem. The tons of pot found in front of our house last Valentines Day belonged to an Army General, who was stock piling the drugs at one of his girlfriends house in our neighborhood before moving it across to the USA. When he got word his stash house was to be busted, he had the van loaded and then parked in front of our house as a distraction while they moved the larger stash of drugs to safety. Absolutley true and one reason we left Rosarito Beach.

There is no one clean to fight this fight- they are willing participants who are traitors to their country imho.
Old 02-02-14, 08:45 AM   #17
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
...There is no one clean to fight this fight...
There is a great scene in *this movie

where the protagonist Benny, having found out his narcoboss killed his brother(for shagging his wife) goes to some big shot prosecutor to rat him out.

After an hour or more videotaping, the crooked Procurador congratulates Benny on his excellent memory, and promptly calls the narco to rat him out.

The exact moment of the doble-traición:

*another really good one by the same director; similar theme set in the 40s
Attached Images

Old 02-02-14, 12:22 PM   #18
Edward Teach

Edward Teach is on a distinguished road

I felt safer walking across Quito at 3AM than I do in some parts of Vancouver after dark.
Old 02-03-14, 08:03 AM   #19
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach
I felt safer walking across Quito at 3AM than I do in some parts of Vancouver after dark.
Our friends and family who would no longer will visit us in Baja said they aren't afraid of being a crime victim- they are afraid if something does go wrong there is no one they could trust to help them. In Vancouver you likely have confidence the police would catch and prosecute anyone who does you harm; in Mexico you can't even be sure the people dressed like police are the police. Crime is indeed everywhere these day, justice is not. That needs to be taken into consideration. If the Rosarito Beach chief of police does not trust his own men, why would you? jmho.

Last edited by Woooosh; 02-03-14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 05:51 AM   #20
Woooosh

For Edward:

Edmonton teen traumatized by bus hijacking in Mexico

An Edmonton teen is thankful to be home after a bus she was travelling on, was taken over by several bandits in Mexico.

16-year-old Ariel Ostrander was on the tail end of a trip to visit her grandfather in the southern city of Puerto Escondido, when a bus she was on was hijacked.

Five men took over the bus, which was heading to the Mexico City airport, at 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

The bandits demanded belongings from the fifteen passengers on board, and then things turned violent.

“The bad and upsetting part is the bus driver having been stabbed,” said Ariel’s mother Stephanie Ostrander. “If she needs counselling … we will certainly do that.”

Ariel hid her passport and cellphone from the men, and was able to capture some pictures.

The Department of Foreign Affairs issued a statement Monday morning addressing the incident.

"We are aware of an attack on a bus that affected a Canadian citizen in Mexico. Canadian consular officials have provided assistance and support. At this time, we have not received any reports that Canadians were injured."

Ariel’s mother says her daughter is a seasoned traveller, and their entire family has visited many different destinations, but they won’t be returning to Mexico for now.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-...xico-1.1669166