General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 02-22-14, 08:55 AM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Smile Sentri Pass-Vehicle Inspection

We have had our Sentri Passes for several yrs.. We just purchased a new vehicle and I know, even though they no longer issue windshield stickers, you need to bring your car in for inspection. My question is, do you have to have the front license plate attached in order to pass. Our new car does have a front license plate bracket and in order to install one, you have to drill holes in the bumper which I would prefer not to do.
Old 02-22-14, 12:43 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sentri Pass-Vehicle Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
We have had our Sentri Passes for several yrs.. We just purchased a new vehicle and I know, even though they no longer issue windshield stickers, you need to bring your car in for inspection. My question is, do you have to have the front license plate attached in order to pass. Our new car does have a front license plate bracket and in order to install one, you have to drill holes in the bumper which I would prefer not to do.
What state were your plates issued from that allow you to drive without a front plate? Just curious.
Old 02-22-14, 04:17 PM   #3
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
What state were your plates issued from that allow you to drive without a front plate? Just curious.
Nevada
Old 02-22-14, 06:47 PM   #4
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

If you go to the dealer, they have a front plate kit.

Nevada is a two plate state,,,,unless

'Nevada law requires most vehicles to display front and rear license plates at all times, except motorcycles and trailers, which require only a rear plate. You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame.

Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate. (NRS 482.275)"

Nevada License Plates
Old 02-22-14, 08:07 PM   #5
larry

Smile Re: Sentri Pass-Vehicle Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
If you go to the dealer, they have a front plate kit.

Nevada is a two plate state,,,,unless

'Nevada law requires most vehicles to display front and rear license plates at all times, except motorcycles and trailers, which require only a rear plate. You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame.

Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate. (NRS 482.275)"

Nevada License Plates
That is correct & both of my cars qualify for just a rear plate.
Do you know if the CBP requires a front plate in order to pass my car?
Old 02-22-14, 09:40 PM   #6
Teniente

My first question would be......is there a front plate kit available from the dealer/manufacturer???

However there are states that only issue a rear plate and get approved for SENTRI, but I don't know if CBP will hold you to the two plates rule if they look it up (unlikely) and deem a barcket kit is available, or check the bumper (unlikely) and discover that mounting hardware is there and you can attach a plate.....YMMV
Old 02-23-14, 08:20 AM   #7
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My first question would be......is there a front plate kit available from the dealer/manufacturer???

However there are states that only issue a rear plate and get approved for SENTRI, but I don't know if CBP will hold you to the two plates rule if they look it up (unlikely) and deem a barcket kit is available, or check the bumper (unlikely) and discover that mounting hardware is there and you can attach a plate.....YMMV
The state of Baja Norte or at least the municipality of Mexicali, requires all vehicles driven on their roads have a front and back license plate or a ticket can be given and needs to be paid at that time at the local place tickets are paid by foreign plated vehicles.

It doesn´t matter to the police if your state has or doesn´t have a front license plate, It is their traffic code that matters and tickets might be given out, legally. If you want to drive there you are required to have a front license plate.
Old 02-23-14, 12:27 PM   #8
larry

Quote:

No kit available for my car.
Old 02-23-14, 09:35 PM   #9
Teniente

Quote:
No kit available for my car.
You win!!!

I would get something in writing.....just in case
Old 02-24-14, 07:47 AM   #10
larry

Quote:
You win!!!
Tenniente(LT)
I would get something in writing.....just in case
Do you think the Feds.(CBP) will pass my car without the front plate?
Old 02-24-14, 07:52 AM   #11
Teniente

Unknown, but I would print out and highlight the NRS section regarding display of plates, and have something from the dealer/mfg that no plate kit exists. Again, several states such as Arizona and New Mexico only issue one plate and they get SENTRI approval.

Quote:
Do you think the Feds.(CBP) will pass my car without the front plate?
Old 02-24-14, 09:35 AM   #12
larry

Quote:
Unknown, but I would print out and highlight the NRS section regarding display of plates, and have something from the dealer/mfg that no plate kit exists. Again, several states such as Arizona and New Mexico only issue one plate and they get SENTRI approval.
Thanks, I will.
Old 02-24-14, 10:55 AM   #13
tjsue

tjsue is on a distinguished road

It'll be up to the officer that does the inspection. If he/she decides you need a front license plate on the bumper, you may not have a choice.