Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-06-14, 02:30 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Post Navy warship reaches sailboat carrying ill toddler

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A U.S. Navy warship reached a crippled sailboat hundreds of miles off the Mexican coast and was preparing Sunday to complete the rescue of a sick 1-year-old girl.

More...
Old 04-06-14, 12:44 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Navy warship reaches sailboat carrying ill toddler

Finally! A feel good story about the Mexcian Navy. Thanks. I've also heard they are taking over the port operations in Ensenada. Not sure to what extent.
Old 04-06-14, 02:51 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Finally! A feel good story about the Mexcian Navy. Thanks. I've also heard they are taking over the port operations in Ensenada. Not sure to what extent.
Contain your glee, Craig. Story says it was the US Navy to the rescue.
Old 04-07-14, 05:39 AM   #4
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Contain your glee, Craig. Story says it was the US Navy to the rescue.
Yeah, I was a tad deflated when watching the news last night and saw the US Navy Seals parachuting out of an airplane with their flippers on to assist the family with the sick baby who was 1000 miles off the Mexican coast. I'm never deflated about the work of the US Navy Seals though- amazing men. The Mexican Navy did rescue that American kayaker off La Bufadora last week though, right?
Old 04-07-14, 07:36 AM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Mexican Navy did rescue that American kayaker off La Bufadora last week though, right?
Not quite sure how that worked out. The navy is usually out in that area so I wouldn't be surprised. Lots of fishermen too. Of course the military ,land and sea, inflates their presence on weekends and holidays for P.R. purposes. Gotta show the public they're out there for them.
Old 04-07-14, 07:55 AM   #6
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, I was a tad deflated when watching the news last night and saw the US Navy Seals parachuting out of an airplane with their flippers on to assist the family with the sick baby who was 1000 miles off the Mexican coast. I'm never deflated about the work of the US Navy Seals though- amazing men. The Mexican Navy did rescue that American kayaker off La Bufadora last week though, right?
Actually, those guys parachuting were from the California Air National Guard's 129th Rescue Wing.
Old 04-07-14, 08:04 AM   #7
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Actually, those guys parachuting were from the California Air National Guard's 129th Rescue Wing.
I think "the German must be following me" some days... That's what my Meixcan family says when you have "senior moments"
Old 04-09-14, 02:45 PM   #8
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

We had a pair of U.S. C-130's fly over us heading North the day of the rescue. Appears they were taking a tour of the coast on their way home
Old 04-10-14, 09:16 PM   #9
Woooosh

Nice! Don't see those downt there many times I'll bet.
Old 04-11-14, 07:51 AM   #10
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Well, it appears you can actually put a price on being stupid

Cost for sailing family rescue: $663,000 | UTSanDiego.com
Old 04-11-14, 08:49 AM   #11
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Well, it appears you can actually put a price on being stupid

Cost for sailing family rescue: $663,000 | UTSanDiego.com
As someone who did take a 3 year sailing adventure on a 38' sailboat many years ago, I disagree with the assertion that they were "stupid". As one of the rescue personnel said, they were well prepared and educated about sailing a small boat, and the boat itsel was a top quality, well equiped vessel. I think that rather than stupid, they were unlucky. As was also said in the article, rather than risk the health of his daughter, he choose to abandon his boat (probably worth something over $100,000) to get her proper medical attention.

The thing I would disagree with is taking kids that young on such a voyage as they would probably have no recollection of the whole thing when they reached adulthood. Can you remember anything that happened to you at age 1?

Also, did you miss the part where the Navy spokesman mentioned how valuable this whole thing was as a training tool? You can't put a price on that..........

Last edited by ncampion; 04-11-14 at 08:52 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-11-14, 02:06 PM   #12
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

That they were not "ignorant" .... kinda narrows the field IMHO

"When her sister first mentioned plans to sail with two young children, English recalled, "I thought it was nuts."

]

Last edited by wessongroup; 04-11-14 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-11-14, 04:11 PM   #13
pauldavidmena

pauldavidmena is on a distinguished road

Studies consistently show that most of us have no recollection of anything before the age of 4. I remember 3 things from that year (1963): the birth of my youngest brother, my middle brother breaking his arm, and the assassination of JFK (followed by the shooting of Jack Ruby, which I saw live on TV). Nothing before then, however.

It seems this family was determined to take a trip that their children would ultimately not remember. On the other hand, if you were going on the journey of a lifetime, would you want to leave your loved ones behind? Of course when my kids were young I was living paycheck to paycheck and had never been on a boat bigger than a canoe; so I can only speculate about the motives of the parents of the sick child. I just hope they're able to get her the care that she needs.
Old 04-12-14, 12:43 PM   #14
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Risking a bit of a rebuttal.

I think people who raise their families or move their families to areas of countries that are known to be a risk to their children's lives such as:

1) Earthquake zones
2) Tornado prone zones
3) Hurricane prone zones
4) Tsunami prone zones
5) Land Slide prone zones

Gee lets go all out

People that take their young children out for a drive in their vehicle.

Based on the above I figure just about all of us are guilty of putting our children at risk.

Based on all the comments from the Media and beyond, all the costs that the general public have to bear for all of our STUPIDITY of raising families in a situation that could be a RISK to LIFE situation should be covered by the ones who made that STUPID decision in the first place.

Can you imagine how much money would be saved by the tax payers if all the STUPID people who decide to raise their families along the Gulf of Mexico's coast that is KNOWN to be prone to tide surges from hurricanes and put their families lives and property at risk.

These people decided to live in a potentially risky situation and from what I gather from the way things came together during this event, they were WAY MORE prepared to deal with situations of potential disaster than most, example who carries a SAT PHONE around for back up communication.

People have to get real, daily life is a risk.
Praise these people instead of critiquing them.

There were also comments about the young children NOT recalling their events during their young years.
I think what they would remember without a doubt is the closeness of the FAMILY and the STRONG BONDS that would have nurtured naturally during a trip like this.

I hope that they can continue this adventure again before it gets too late in life.

To all the critics lets chat some more I am

Last edited by CDN_JOHNNY; 04-28-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-12-14, 02:15 PM   #15
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Well thought out & eloquently stated! I'm in your corner!

Tis better to go out into the world & live a full life than huddling inside your home in fear!
Old 04-12-14, 02:57 PM   #16
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Besides, what good are these rescue services if they are never put to the test.

Makes all that training worthwhile.
Old 04-12-14, 03:56 PM   #17
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

A great perspective

I met these folks down in the marina when we were living just north of there. It was brief and I would just be another face in that tiny place that said hello to them.

They seemed pretty squared away. Everyone second guesses.... I do all the time!

My hat is off to them and anybody who has spent any time living knows shit happens.

Props to them for not being afraid to live their dream.